April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. TammyB

Erka-–this bill has not even become a law yet. That commercial driver could not have been stopped due to this law......he was stopped in Mexico? That means there was something regarding the laws in Mexico, not Arizona.

April 27, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bob

Now why would anyone take offense to a law that makes it mandatory to carry around proof that you are a legal citizen? It really doesn;t go far enough. I mean, really it would save legal citizens time and law enforcement money if the government just mandated everyone be labeled with a barcode or microchip that would allow for a quick scan of your legal status. They could even log everyone in a government database and keep track of any traffic infractions, warrants, whether or not you are behind on taxes, party and religious affiliation, and other vital information of that nature all in one easy stop. They could even have it emit a gps signal for ease of locating any wayward citizens should they break the law, or that the government has some business with. Whatever it takes to protect our freedom, and keep those scary brown people out!

April 27, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. lvhrmdly

I've lived in AZ for 25 years and it's about time! Unfortunately, most of the illegals are taking the jobs nobody else wants. I was asked by MULTPLE employers to speak and write spanish so that I could communicate with those that don't know OUR native language. I say, if you can make it through the desert and past border patrol into Phoenix; just get your citizenship and finish it for good! Unfortunately I believe that this law will persecute legal immigrants as well. I guess EVERYONE in AZ should carry their birth certificates!

April 27, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joe

Hey Citizen, it's all good. I don't mind all of the ID checking. It let's me know that at least something is being done, As I sit here and type this message looking out over my backyard (two hundred yards from the border) I can see people on the other side looking to see if it's safe to cross. Where I live, I can't begin to count how many illegal crossing happen every night. I sleep (use that word loosely) with a rifle at the ready next to my bed and a pistol under my pillow. I have too, the coyote's (people smugglers) are armed and sometimes looking for food or money. But this is my land, and I love it, I will not be driven from it by anyone.

April 27, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Steve

Laws like these set a terrible precedence. This is a law that is guaranteed to not only be enforced unevenly but also be terribly intrusive to citizens, migrant workers and students, and everyone else who is here legally. A citizen of this country or a documented guest should not have to demonstrate the legality of their presence on such an arbitrary basis. This is a very thinly veiled attempt to legalize racial discrimination.

April 27, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Scott Anderson

I LOOK FORWARD TO THE DAY THAT I DON'T LOOK AROUND AND SEE MEXICANS DOING EVERYTHING AND AMERICANS GRIPING ABOUT NO JOBS! NO JOBS! NO JOBS! GET THESE JOB STEALING RESOURCE STEALING COMMUNITY CRUSHING MEXICAN TRESPASSERS OUT OF OUR COUNTRY!!!!! UNCLE SAM HOW ABOUT A LITTLE HELP FOR AMERICANS YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING TO STOP THIS MEXICAN INVASIAN

April 27, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Theresa

I may be in the minority, but let's give Arizona a break. The law enforcemnt there is dealing with a lot of coyotes and illigal immigrants. Lots of people are being stopped on routine traffic violations and don't have a driver's license or ANY form of ID on them. Those people are the ones that should be encourged (even if it means a trip to the jail to run fingerprints) to carry their papers. I suspect anyone who is carrying their valid driver's license will not be harrassed. I grew up here. A LOT of the law enforcement is of latin heritage. They are NOT going to be profiling anyone...but if you've got 25 people stuffed in an automobile, questions need to be asked. Period. So, unless YOU like your taxes going to illegal immigrants, shut up and let the law take care of business. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about. Our Federal Government is over it's head trying to stop this nasty business of human trafficing, so kudos to Arizona for trying to make a diference. If this is what it takes for some real changes, then so be it. Let the process begin.

April 27, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jim

GOLLY GEE WHIZ GUYS IF I TYPE IN ALL CAPS MAYBE SOMEONE WILL PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. osita

It seems to me like half if not all of the people leaving their comments on this site are ignorant and miss informed.
    ANYONE SUSPECTED OF BEING AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT WILL BE ASKED TO SHOW PROFF THAT THEY ARE LEGAL HERE IN THE US BUT EVERY ONE HERE SHOULD CONSIDER THEMSELVES ILLEGAL SINCE WE WERE NOT THE FIRST ONES HERE. Is every one forgetting that the natives were here before any wave of ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS CAME TO THE US form all over the WORLD!!!!!
    So now let me ask this will other ethnic groups also be harassed to show prof of legal status, such as Canadians, Caucasians from European ancestry?
    An another thing I want to know what is the problem with letting these good hard working people? They are not here trying to take your job. The majority of them are out in the fields making sure you have your fruits and veggies on your table and supper markets!!!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Realist

This will never be enacted in California, Texas, or Florida. Latins, legal and illegal, already dominate the economic landscape in these states. This is a silly law that only fuels hatred and racism. The law will never legitimately pass.

April 27, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joe

@Osita, you come down here to my ranch on the border and you will see first hand how dangerous and desperate these human trafficers are. You have no idea of what you speak until you see the problem first hand.

April 27, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. john

hatred and racism is the whole idea. that, and being scared of people that don't look or act the same as you. folks can call it what they want to, that's all in the world it boils down to.

April 27, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ImmAlly

Here's something to ponder during your debate about the SB1070 law...

MYTH: Immigrants can come here legally. My grandparents did it (75+ years ago).
    FACT: On average it takes 15-20 years for an immigrant from Mexico to become a citizen. Our immigration system is broken and doesn't allow people an opportunity to come here legally in any normal amount of time. Some say they should just wait the 15-20 years. Please show me someone that is willing to wait 15-20 years for opportunity to get an education and a better job. If you're reading this and have a family, don't you usually do everything you can to help your family succeed and have a better life?

MYTH: Immigrants take our jobs.
    FACT: Each year, the U.S. needs 500,000 workers to fill jobs that can't be filled by the native-born workforce. Most jobs are low-skilled labor such as construction, hospitality, and the service sector (Source: Pew Foundation). This number has decreased since our recession, but fluctuates according to our country's need for workers.

April 27, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. archie

opening the border completely and giving citizenship freely, as the country was founded to do, eliminates human trafficking as an issue related to immigration.

April 27, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100