April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Ignacio

are CORRUPTION and RACISM the new american way? why if I do a search for the word employer I only find 11 matches out of 1452 posts so far? Being practical wouldn't going after employers that CORRUPTLY create a market for an illegal workforce be the most reasonable course of action? it would also be the fairest in my opinion, these businesses would then be allowed to request temporary work visas under programs that already exist and that require them to demonstrate that they are paying reasonable wages and couldn't fill the position with an american citizen. Wouldn't this clear the status of a lot of these "illegal" immigrants and allow them to pay taxes and have a better quality of life while being under the rule of the law? why can't we do that? are we too RACIST to do so? isn't it like looking the other way on this new form of modern slavery?

To anyone that comes up to with an argument about anything related to these immigrants following the law please talk about your position on what would should be done in dealing with the EMPLOYERS that create the market for this and hire them outside the law?

April 28, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JC

So what happens next? We detain these illegals for a while then send them across the border, in a few weeks they are back doing the same thing as if nothing happened.

We also need to secure the borders better now to make this effective.

April 28, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ignacio

@JC if there's no way to employ someone BUT legally and businesses are prosecuted on Tax fraud and billed for the missed Social Security payroll taxes that they currently evade then there is no motivation to come illegally and the issue of securing the border is still a valid one but less pressing.

April 28, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JC

I agree Ignacio, but it seems that businesses profit more by hiring illegals. Even individuals prefer to hire someone who is here illegally to work on their lawns, clean their homes etc as they are cheaper not realizing it hurts them more in the long run. Illegals enable manufacturers and farm owners to sell products cheaper. It's the same reason why more and more manufacturers are moving their plants to China and other countries.

April 28, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. AJ

OK, so they should be going to the MExican COnsulate if they feel harassed? If they are legit citiziens, either by birth or by LEGAL immigration, then there should not be a problem. And if they're here ILLEGALLY? What is the consul going to take up their fight? Anyone not in the US LEGALLY has ZERO protection under the constitution, which covers AMERICAN CITIZENS, by birth or through legitimate legal immigration from ANY country. Who said the only illegal immigrants are Mexican? I read the law and it doesn't say anything about Mexicans, that's a misconception on people who aren't strong enough to enforce laws already on the books. Hello!

April 28, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TammyB

There is already laws with fines against employers who hire illegals and this current bill just signed also expands on that by saying that employers who use day laborers and anyone who transports illegals can be fined and/or subjected to imprisonment as well. There are current laws against hiring illegals as here in AZ we have been using EVerify when being hired in any job, and that's anyone being hired, no matter their race, creed, color, religion, etc., etc. That being said, all of those laws have not been enforced. Everytime a policeman stops someone in Phoenix who is Hispanic, he takes the risk they may yell "racial profiling!" legal, or not! There are a lot of people who play the race card big time around here, which makes it harder for anything to get done! Throw in the ACLU, the hack media, and several other groups of protest, and AZ gets a bad rep. But the truth is, this situation is much more complex and complicated than just "it's racial profiling" and therefore, DO NOTHING! I am tired of following the laws of AZ knowing that a group of people are going to be excluded from following those laws due to playing the big old race card! They are ILLEGALLY here....they are breaking the LAW. It is pretty much a simple thing. If they are excluded from this, then why can't I be? If I am stopped for a traffic infraction, next time, I think I will just cite all the illegals here (if this bill is overturned) and ask the policeman if he can just let me go without a ticket as I need to be excluded from all the laws as well!

April 28, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ben

@ #402: I think the point he was trying to make was that the party boys on the beach in Cancun would not have their passport in their swim trunks and be arrested because of it, even though they entered legally as visitors using that passport.

Also, does anyone know how long it takes to apply for and receive citizenship?

April 28, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Urinal Gum

I can honestly say I've never met an illegal immigrant I didn't like. I wish more United States of Americans were like them.

/they're also model Christians as well

April 28, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Leonidas

Interesting to read all these comments..., History at its best with no surprises here. Whenever there is some kind of economic downturn in the country the less fortunate/minorities get blamed and are literally hunted down. t happen in WWI/WWII Nazi Germany/Turkey with Armenia and throughout the history of mankind. Think about the kinds of problems minority represent, I am going to list them ready? 1)They migrate illegally by the thousands and are spotted conducting clandestine operations on the agricultural fileds from coast to coast, so we can go to our "Convinience Superstores" stores and pick up our favorite produce and YEAH! enjoy them with our families..., why not?? my fellow countrymen. 2)Illegal Immigrants don't pay any taxes and is costing us so much more, it is unbelievable. FYI illegal "Americans" as we all are coming from the formost northern part of the continent to the souther most tip of the continent are called "Americans" Ladies and Gentleman- Anyhow, any one legit or ilegit pay their due local and state taxes, Whenever you purchase a house, a car or simply buy food at a restaurant everyone pay taxes. They only difference is that they cannot draw SS benefits even at retirement age. How many of us are ready to work these low skilled jobs?
    Any volunteers!!! The Census this year will tell the history of 2 centuries of border states with Mexico. Why can two countries be as one as those at the European Union. This could be what made the Americas become the challenge to the EU/CHINA/MIDDLE EAST economies. But not unless we stand together as a Nation, We wiil surely fall...

April 28, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Xexe

No problem..legal...illegal...semi-legal, born in US. or not...... what ever ethnic group (Hispanic), nationality (Mexican, Venezuelan, Colombian, Guatemalan, etc. etc..etc...oh! that's right "Mexican" is a nationality not a raze) we'll stay home and go where ever it feels like home...California, New York, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, etc, etc. etc... and we'll spend our money, invest, trade, and continue to flourish...mmmm...just not contributing to the Arizona economy.

Thanks!

April 28, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. FedUp!

Ray (#1128)

You're not naive... you're just plan f*ing stupid.

Congratulations, AZ!!! You made me and Barry Goldwater proud!! Now if only the other 49 states would follow your lead...

Close the border. No, wait///

CLOSE THE BORDER! NOW!!

April 28, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Leonidas

I agree with you Xexe..., I am a business owner and I am with you and those who is and will continue to Boycott the "The Shame State of Arizona" for beginners, where does the states of Arizona, California, Colorado, Texas, Florida, Louisiana get theirs names from? Did you know that in California as late 1800's and as recent as the early 1900's the Mexican peso was used for trade and news papers were written in spanish as the first Mayor of the city was a Mexican. You are now resideing/leaving in a land where as some people view it, stolen land in a shady transaction between the US Government and General Santa Ana and the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. So Ray..., the fact and the matter is that you are leaving in a land with lots of history for which you don't know jack. This treaty afforded ancestral people of Mexcan decent to keep and maintain their culture and language intact. Treaties supersedes local, state and federal law. And your morron/racist Governor will be stopping innocent people, just because of the color of their skin. Why did your ancestors moved to Arizona lands anyway! Mexicans/aboriginal people lived there for centuries and so who is the illegal here??? But yes..., you are such a commendable American!!! But you know what, I have served and fought along side Black, White, Yellow, Brown and anything in between. Shame on you Arizona...

April 28, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JOHN MARX

I SAY WE DECLARE WAR ON ALL ILLEGAL ALIENS!! THOSE ECONOMIC TERRORIST THEY ARE EVEN FOOLING OUR ELCECTED OFFICIALS IN BELIEVING THEY HAVE SOME PROFITABLE RIGHT TO EXIST AT THE EXTENT IN SACRAFICING OUR SYSTEM QUOTA SYSTEM. WHAT OTHER NATIONALITIES ARE ABUSING THE SYSTEM?

April 28, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. worried

I am really worried about this new law. I was born in the US and my kids were too and my parents as well, we do so many sports and many times we are the only mexicans on the team. I worry that I will get questioned, I am brown, curly hair and I fail to notice what is different from me and an illegal person. What if they question me? -how would that make my kids feel- it would really make me feel bad and embarrassed. The way I look is something that I cannot change. So how can you tell an American citizen apart from a non-citizen?

April 28, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gary

NEWS ALERT!!

Texas Is Proposing to Pass an Immigration Law Similar to Arizona's!

Can you believe this! What is Texas thinking of? Copycat laws, so blatantly discriminatory are no good for the state or any other state and those proposing these odious bills that are hurtful to people will surely pay the price at the polls come election time. Stop This Idiotic Practice Now! It can only HURT people, not help them as some mistakenly think. How many of you in Texas and Arizona are seriously ready to take over the jobs that Hispanics are currently doing now? Be serious, how many of you? Raise your hands. I want to know.

This story is on the Internet:

April 28, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100