April 27th, 2010

U.S. citizen pleads guilty to helping al Qaeda

Syed "Farhad" Hashmi pleaded guilty Tuesday to conspiracy to provide material support to al Qaeda, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York announced.

Hashmi was arrested in June 2006 at London's Heathrow Airport as he prepared to board a flight to Pakistan. He was accused of conspiring to transport "military gear" to al Qaeda forces fighting U.S. troops in Afghanistan, according to a federal indictment issued in 2006.

In 2007, Hashmi became the first American citizen to be extradited from the United Kingdom on terrorism charges.

Several human rights organizations in New York, including Educators for Civil Liberties, Theaters Against War and the Center for Constitutional Rights, have protested the conditions of Hashmi's confinement while he awaited trial over the past two years.

Hasmi, a Queens resident who was borni in Pakistan, faces a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison.

Post by:
Filed under: Al Qaeda
  1. justice

"Do you know what "material support" means? Go check what he's actually accused of having done, before you wish him dead."

Hey IR don't you think someone who helps to kill a person is just as guilty as those who actually do the killing? If I provide a gun to a person knowing they are going to kill someone with it, I'm just as guilty as the person that pulls the trigger. Untill you punish those who provide the tools and finances to make terror possible, we will continue to see a never ending stream of them.

Also a citizen who conspires with groups intent on the destruction of our nation is guilty of TREASON. Thats a crime far worse than your average conspiracy to commit murder.

April 28, 2010 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. Stan

Root cause of these problem is Pakistan, yet we provide them billions of dollar in aid and F16.
    This is crazy, so our tax money is given to people who are attacking us, i just don't get this, can someone pls explain?

April 28, 2010 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. bright godwins, southern nigeria

was he actually caught? y tryin him? who's mentionin of human right? d rights of several hundreds he would've sent to their early graves? pls dont even think of tryin him, just kill him and dont bother spendin tax payers money on him

April 28, 2010 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. June Bug

Unfortunately, they have to have the prison sentence. You know how they love martyrdom.
    Although, treason does warrant hanging.

April 28, 2010 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. SGT S (U.S. Army)

Even someone is accused of Treason is aforded due process due to the Constitution. It doesn't matter the crime, nothing supercedes the Constitution. I don't care if you don't like it, you must abide by it. Anyone who violates the Constitution should also be prosecuted.

April 28, 2010 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. John

Please beat this guys head up on the wall till his eyes roll in the back of his head

April 28, 2010 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. JW

As a member of the military that served in Iraq from 2004 to 2005 I have a big issue with letting these "Refugees" in to the US. This is how this stuff happens they come here to get a better life and wind up stabbing us in the back, I will go on record and say that the day is coming that we have another attack on american soil because we are letting all of the scumbags in to the US where we give them money and us hard working americans have to support them and all 100 of their kids, they get to sit around and do nothing but plot on how to harm our great nation while we are out there every day working our tail off just to make ends meet. I am tired of this crap it is time to take America back and kick out all of these leaches on humanity and make it the America it once was. We dont have enough money to help out the homeless veterans but we have enough money to support these scumbags, this makes no sense, as a veteran I think any veteran who has fought for their country in a war zone should never have to pay for health care again in their lives.

April 28, 2010 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. SGT S (U.S. Army)

I concur with JW. Support your Veterans, Support your Soldiers.

April 28, 2010 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. JW

I must also add that even if you dont support the war on TERRORISM please support the troops that are fighting this war, we are just doing what we are ordered to do

April 28, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. android1

Protesting his form of confinement?Unreal.Give him to the Iraqi authorities.Let them "question" him.These human rights organizations make me sick.Why don't you go grab a placard and a flight to the congo and go protest down there.....China would even be acceptable.Just go.

April 28, 2010 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. MD

Another Pakistani born terrorist – what a surprise!

April 28, 2010 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  12. JW

I agree with android1, we are fighting for your right to protest and run your big mouths but yet you protest the american soldier, if you saw how US military and civilians were treated when captured I bet you wouldnt be protesting this guys treatment, compared to the accomodations we had in Iraq I am sure this guy is living a good life so what if he gets the truth beat out of him a couple of times a day, I just wish I was the one doing the beating......I think if the terrorists are going to kill anyone I think they should target the protestors

April 28, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. usmc1

Harry Delta you need to grow a set

April 28, 2010 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  14. SGT S (U.S. Army)

Are we really going to go down this road? Did we all forget the 1st Amendment right. I don't like everyone who protests but I respect and protect that. Shame on my fellow Soldiers who say kill the protestors. I expect that type of ignorance from civilians but not from my fellow green suiters. Go back and read your Soldier's Creed and NCO Creed. You need to remember who you are and what you protect.

April 28, 2010 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. Dan Scanlon

I think he should be forgiven, awarded with a sweet job at Goldman and continue to be an ardent supporter of the president. This would surely endear our comander and chief with the forces of evil he so longs to embrace.

April 28, 2010 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |