April 27th, 2010

U.S. citizen pleads guilty to helping al Qaeda

Syed "Farhad" Hashmi pleaded guilty Tuesday to conspiracy to provide material support to al Qaeda, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York announced.

Hashmi was arrested in June 2006 at London's Heathrow Airport as he prepared to board a flight to Pakistan. He was accused of conspiring to transport "military gear" to al Qaeda forces fighting U.S. troops in Afghanistan, according to a federal indictment issued in 2006.

In 2007, Hashmi became the first American citizen to be extradited from the United Kingdom on terrorism charges.

Several human rights organizations in New York, including Educators for Civil Liberties, Theaters Against War and the Center for Constitutional Rights, have protested the conditions of Hashmi's confinement while he awaited trial over the past two years.

Hasmi, a Queens resident who was borni in Pakistan, faces a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison.

Post by:
Filed under: Al Qaeda
  1. Florida4Life

We are soft, it wont deter this kind of behavior, but we should use lethal force in some non murder situations. We cant just wait for people to die before we remove part of this virus. It goes the same way with Murders/SexOffenders, and every day someone else dies. We are a country of weak people, and that is how the world see's us ....Dick Cheney 4 pres !!!

April 28, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. KC

The charge of treason requires two witnesses, if I'm reading the law, including the Constitution, correctly. There probably weren't any witnesses available, and Hashmi's plea ensured he'd get incarcerated for now at least.

As much as I loathe people like him and know the world would be far better off without the intolerance he represents, 'protecting' the USA by acting like them just makes us a country not worth protecting and not worth respecting.

April 28, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. usmc1

I agree with Florida4life. We have become a extemely week country. Get rid of this politcal correctness B.S. and stop being so soft.

April 28, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. usmc1

Sorry, meant weak

April 28, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. JW

Sorry Sgt but I can not take back what I said, you must have had some admin job while the rest of us were on the road every day kicking in doors and getting shot at, I lost 2 good friends in Iraq and I hate the fact that we are even there, if the rules of engagement were loosened and we could fight violence with violence since that is all those people fear and understand then this war would be over already but instead we are fighting a politically correct war, I mean we pay thousands if we are cought in a cross fire and accidentally shoot a farm animal to a local herdsman, The first amendment is being abused to the tenth degree and people are hiding behind that crap just like these scumbag terrorists will get on camera and talk all this crap but only if there face is covered because they know that if their face was uncovered and could be identified then real soldiers like me and my friends would pay them a visit, so dont give me any of this liberal crap about protecting the protestors, I do it every day I put on that uniform.

April 28, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. gordj

One day very soon, all the armies of the world will converge on Pakistan.

April 28, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. Darrin

While I do not know if this is true, it sounds like a good idea to me.

Once in U.S. history an episode of Islamic terrorism was very quickly stopped. It happened in the Philippines about 1911, when Gen. John J. Pershing was in command of the garrison. There had been numerous Islamic terrorist attacks, so "Black Jack" told his boys to catch the perps and teach them a lesson.

Forced to dig their own graves, the terrorists were all tied to posts, execution style. The U.S. soldiers then brought in pigs and slaughtered them, rubbing their bullets in the blood and fat. Thus, the terrorists were terrorized; they saw that they would be contaminated with hogs' blood. This would mean that they could not enter Heaven, even if they died as terrorist martyrs.

All but one was shot, their bodies dumped into the grave, and the hog guts dumped atop the bodies. The lone survivor was allowed to escape back to the terrorist camp and tell his brethren what happened to the others. This brought a stop to terrorism in the Philippines for the next 50 years.

Pointing a gun into the face of Islamic terrorists won't make them flinch.

They welcome the chance to die for Allah. Like Gen. Pershing, we must show them that they won't get to Muslim heaven (which they believe has an endless supply of virgins) but instead will die with the hated pigs of the devil.

April 28, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. tom A

Hang Um for Treason against the people of the United States

April 28, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. Ohio Dude

Oh, but you don't understand. Islam is peaceful ! We are loving ! Bull Sh*%t !!
    They hide behind their "Peace loving" veils and make bombs and destroy the world. They belong in the middle east. Forget deporting the immigrants, deport the Muslims !! Alla Akkabar or whatever !!!!!

April 28, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  10. SGT S (U.S. Army)

JW it's not a liberal view to protect the values of the Consitution. I am not a liberal in any sense, in fact it's more of a conservative view to adhere to a strict form of Consitutalism. I was on the road too, I had people killed too. I was there when MAJ Hamas shot at us on 5 Nov. We are not talking about war on a foreign front. We are talking about takeing the rights of citizen away because you have some moral outrage. Don't let your bigotry translate into violating the Consitution. War is War. But that doesn't mean even if he is a terrorist we just shoot him without due process of some sort. Put him on trial, convict him, then fry him. Let people protest, it's what free speach is about.
    No true Soldier would ask anything else. If you do, then you are just some racist bigot that gets off on killing someone and really never understood what you were fighting for.
    I kick down doors too, but I don't do it to "kill raghads" like some of you do. I do it because I truly believe in defending the Constitution and there are terroists in Iraq, Afghan, Iran, etc. Those extremist needed to be weeded out, but our own citizens are aforded rights. No matter what.

April 28, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. withheld

"Do you know what "material support" means? Go check what he's actually accused of having done, before you wish him dead."
    -------------------------------------------
    I couldn't agree more. Right wing nuts.

April 28, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. jeez!

So, according to all those posters on this board that are for profiling…

All Catholic priests must be heavily scrutinized so no one else is molested.
    All Italians must be scrutinized so that they are not in the Mafia
    All the Irish must scrutinized so that they not part of the IRA, and the IRA is a terrorist organization.
    All the Germans must be scrutinized to make sure they are not white supremacists.

If you agree to these points above, only then can we move forward with profiling.

April 28, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. bpc

I believe everyone should have rights but I also believe you should lose those rights under certain circumstances. You are providing aide to an organizations that kills innocent people. At this point you lose your rights and we should have the right to extract information from you that could save other innocent people. PERIOD. I would love to see what song these activists sing if a relative were the victim of someone they are trying to protect.

April 28, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sophos

For the Sargent Hulkas....I would not "support our brothers in uniform. Systematic brainwashing by people in uniform, brotherhood, etc. Don't put your ability think in a moral fashion on the shoulders of "people in uniform." It is people in uniform following an imperilistic US foreign policy that created people who want to risk their life to harm Americans..... Chickens come home to roost! America has dropped more bombs on innocent civilians, destroyed more countries than any nation in the history of the world. TAKE OFF the uniform and go back to your real "brothers." Why give your life for strangers...go get a family. PEACE

April 28, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. Brian from Chicago

Darrin, is it true that the US committed other attrocities in the Phillipines as well?

I'm generally considered a right-leaning redneck, but you're talking about the psychological torture of soldiers who had surrendered after fighting in military fashion for their own country's freedom.

I don't think al Qaeda is on par with the Phillipinos that were massacred in the way you just described.

April 28, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |