April 28th, 2010

Manager: Bret Michaels' tour could resume in late May

Bret Michaels' recovery from a brain hemorrhage suffered last week is going well enough that his concert tour could resume in a month, according to a statement on his website. The rock singer and reality TV star suffered a massive brain hemorrhage and was hospitalized Friday.

"Even though yesterday was a minor setback, doctors remain hopeful for a full recovery and plan to release more specific information next Monday," his road manager Janna Alias said in the statement.

Tuesday's statement from Elias disclosed Michaels suffered "a side effect from the brain hemorrhage called hyponatremia, a lack of sodium in the body which leads to seizures." Doctors still have not pinpointed the "exact cause of the rupture" in Michaels' brain, she said.

"He is responding well to tests and treatments," Elias said.

Michaels, 47, was the lead singer for the '80s glam-metal "hair band" Poison. He became a reality star by headlining the VH1 show "Rock of Love with Bret Michaels." He has also appeared on "Celebrity Apprentice."

"At this time we are planning to resume the tour May 26th in Ft. Smith, Arkansas provided there are no further complications or setbacks," Elias wrote.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. MIfromPanama

PLEASE, Bret, DON'T RUSH THINGS. Heal and then ponder your life. Your daughters need you. They should be your primary concern, not when you'll tour again. Your fans will wait for you to regain your health, no matter how long it takes. God bless you and your little ones.

April 28, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. tim hamelink

I think he should take his time getting back to work. I also suffered from a subarachnoid hemmorage and took alot longer than a month to recover. The people around him or Bret himself must not take this lightly this will effect him for the rest of his life. He is very lucky to be alive

April 28, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. DebbieJ

Umm, I could swear that they had stated that there appeared to be no brain/function damage. Going along with this decision doesn't quite show a recovered brain capacity– not does it show someone with "no long term effects".
    My mother had a brain hemmorage due to a ruptured anyerism and she was in ICU for 3 months, regular room for another month and a good 6 months at home getting her equillibrium back again.
    This man is in no way conscious of his decisions.
    They said he was conscious and speaking slowly. so was my mother, and she said "who....are...you...and...where...am....I"
    They don't say he is speaking coherently just slowly.
    I know this injury and I cannot believe that he just "walked into a hospital and said "my head hurts" and they keep him a day or two and he just "wakes up" and says "ok, let's do it". Something isn't quite right here– be it the manager or the patient..

April 28, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. hcwriter

The doctors don't even know where the leak is yet!

April 28, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kristina

Guys, Bret is hopped up on painkillers right now man saying, yeah, life is good, like for sure, I can do this for the fans man! BUT, REALITY CHECK is that he needs to take time for himself and fully recover, not hop around a stage and take risks...
    I know this is what he lives for, he is a rock star and it is probably like breathing to him but please....TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS BRET....RELAX,,,,Learn a new way to relax and get well...OK?

April 28, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. paul

i wish you well brett

April 28, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Samantha

Bret,don't worry about what other people think do what you think is best for you and your family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 28, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Norma

Bret, as soon as you're up to it, fire the manager...he doesn't have your best interests at heart (your life)!

April 28, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TIM

This is B.S. He'll be lucky not to be slurring his speech by then.

April 28, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LJ

As a brain aneurysm survivor of 20 years, I'm appalled at this manager's comments. She does not have a clue!! I would never wish this on anyone. I came through my surgery very well, but it still took some time to recuperate. To this very day, I still get very tired sometimes. I think Bret needs a new manager and one that cares about him and not the money to be made or what they are going to lose in revenue by not continuing the tour!

April 28, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dualistic Nature

my gf had a brain bleed a couple weeks ago. they think she will be ok, but this will take some time and we have a ways to go before we know everything, bret man.... chill for a while. i grew up with poison and i hope bret will be ok. take as long as you have to. not that he reads this, but anybody who knows the guy should look out for him. my gf is doing well right now and i mean really well, if that gives anybody hope. here's to bret doing the same.

April 28, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SMOOTH OPERATOR

What responsible manager would allow him to go back on the road so soon. I don't think he would get a medical ok to do so either. So, it must be just plain greed!!! Fire that DAMN manager ASAP Brett. You have a child that needs you. God gave you a major break here. DON"T BLOW IT!!!!

April 28, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jim

whatever gives Bret the strength and hope to get through this...
    he's lucky to be alive...

April 28, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. J

Honestly, his people are out of their trees if they believe it is okay for Bret to return to tour next month. He himself said before any of this happened that he needed to take better care of himself (duh, you're a type 1 diabetic, should be on an insulin pump which you're not, just had major surgery, had an ANNUISM for god's sake!). Rest, Bret. Your daughters need their father alive and your fans understand if tours are held up. Enough people have been all over this that his popularity has gone back through the roof, so manager should sit down and shut up and let Bret write a book and go on Oprah and she can collect her money and he pay the medical bills.

April 28, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Yasmin

Bret, I think your fans will understand if you take some time off!

April 28, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |