April 28th, 2010

Manager: Bret Michaels' tour could resume in late May

Bret Michaels' recovery from a brain hemorrhage suffered last week is going well enough that his concert tour could resume in a month, according to a statement on his website. The rock singer and reality TV star suffered a massive brain hemorrhage and was hospitalized Friday.

"Even though yesterday was a minor setback, doctors remain hopeful for a full recovery and plan to release more specific information next Monday," his road manager Janna Alias said in the statement.

Tuesday's statement from Elias disclosed Michaels suffered "a side effect from the brain hemorrhage called hyponatremia, a lack of sodium in the body which leads to seizures." Doctors still have not pinpointed the "exact cause of the rupture" in Michaels' brain, she said.

"He is responding well to tests and treatments," Elias said.

Michaels, 47, was the lead singer for the '80s glam-metal "hair band" Poison. He became a reality star by headlining the VH1 show "Rock of Love with Bret Michaels." He has also appeared on "Celebrity Apprentice."

"At this time we are planning to resume the tour May 26th in Ft. Smith, Arkansas provided there are no further complications or setbacks," Elias wrote.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Conrad

Brett needs to cancel his tour and take time off for the rest of the year. I saw him perform for last year opening up for Def Leppard in So Cal here and they were awesome.

However, he already has collapsed once on stage in NYC due to diabetes years back so best he gets his rest.

April 28, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kuuipo

It's good to see from the comments that the great majority of Bret's fans would much rather see him take some time to regain his health and stamina before touring. I totally agree. His manager needs to get his priorities straight. And I hope that when Bret does resume touring that he brings a doctor on tour with him and starts with a few well-spaced out tour dates rather than over- committing.

April 28, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ghost of Elvis

If he recovers well, say by the fall, the fans will line up. It'll be a great return. But this summer? No. I agree with the one person who said these comments should be brought to the manager and the doctors.

April 28, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Susan

What a bunch of NUTS, wanting him to go to back to work this soon! I had 2 spontaneous subdural hematoma surgeries within 3 days of each other in 2006. The second one I was all but dead and my husband was told I had a chance of zero to none for survival. I now have memory problems, seizures, and migraine headaches. I did not have to fight for Social Security to get it. The sooner Bret realizes that he will do more harm than good by starting this tour, only will he begin to heal properly. Hope he gets better.

April 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Orb4

This sounds less like a brain hemorrhage and more like a publicity maneuver. It is very medically unlikely that Mr. Michaels had the "Severe" brain hemorrhage/stroke originally described and now is able to resume touring in a month.

April 28, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Art Gregoire

The comments about the possibility of the tour may be premature but it does give hope that he is making progress and showing signs that he will recover. A liitle optimism here is not necessarily a bad thing.Bret and his family need to know by now that most people are in his corner sending their positive thoughts, energy and prayers. I'm sure that anyone of us facing such a healthcare crisis would welcome the outpouring of concern for another human being and his family.I look forward to hearing more good news about your recovery Bret.

April 28, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lyndave Leisure

I've read a lot of negative against the manager but we don't know who said what. From what I've heard of Bret Michael's work ethic and determination and what I've seen on Celebrity Apprentice I can bet it was Bret that told his Manager he wanted to get back in as quick as possible. The manager is stupid to then tell the public as NO ONE should go from hospital in critical condition to a 2-3 hour concert in less than a month.

So Brett will be recouperating for a while yet and most likely pushing himself through recovery but hopefully his children and close friends will kepp him in check with the notion of going on tour in the near future.

April 28, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Anonymous

This must be a publicity stunt. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I wonder if it his manager who is soooo greedy that he wants him on the road or Bret. But frankly, I don't think Bret is that stupid to go on tour and risk leaving his diabetic daughter fatherless because he dies on stage. One month is not enough recovery time for someone who just had a massive brain hemmorage. That is just wrong on so many levels!!

April 28, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cress

almost dead yesterday, might not remember anything that happened the past week, but he's set to hit the road again? okie dok..

April 28, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joshua

I have never been one to fall into the big world of celebrity gossip and dramatics. With that said there is something about this whole thing that does not fit. In my opinion it is one of 3 things: Its publicity (sick, but not as bad as they say), he is dying, or he is already dead and they face the fear of how much money will be lost...... Lets be realistic here. Pray for him, for he is our brother, one in the same as you and I. Dont pray for him based on his celebrity status and the potential money he can generate. Go with your heart on this.

April 28, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ru4reel

" Yeah, Bret nearlly died a few days ago, But he'll be ready for full concert tour in May". Is this manager really a paid profesional or what? If I were Bret I'd give this guy or gal a good kick where the sun don't shine with his pointy cowboy boots and send em' dowrn the river. What a fool. Get well soon Bret.

April 28, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Anna

This is horrible. My husbands mom suffered from a brian hemorrhage and died when he was 13. nothing like this should be pushed. It is a serious medical condition, untreated it could go terrible bad. I wish the best for Brett and his family.

April 28, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sharon

Having suffered a brain injury a few years ago, I know that Bret will probably regret going back to work so quickly. It took me a few months to feel "normal" again and a while after that just to get back to my regular life. This is not a good time for Bret to push himself. The fans will understand.

April 28, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Marv

Honestly–I hope he makes it but I do not believe it. It reminds me of Patrick Swayze discovering that he had pancreatic cancer. All of a sudden, IMDB stated that Pointe Break 2 was in development with Swayze set to star in it. I wish Bret all the best. I was never much of a fan of Poison but I think the dude is genuine and cool.

April 28, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Melissa

I hope he takes a few months off to recuperate and be with his little girls.....and take care of himself. Its been sickening listening to his reps yapping on and talking over his father...and now this road manager Janna whoever....spouting off like a total moron...greed greed and more greed. He ought to fire the lot of them...they're leeches.

April 28, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |