April 28th, 2010

Manager: Bret Michaels' tour could resume in late May

Bret Michaels' recovery from a brain hemorrhage suffered last week is going well enough that his concert tour could resume in a month, according to a statement on his website. The rock singer and reality TV star suffered a massive brain hemorrhage and was hospitalized Friday.

"Even though yesterday was a minor setback, doctors remain hopeful for a full recovery and plan to release more specific information next Monday," his road manager Janna Alias said in the statement.

Tuesday's statement from Elias disclosed Michaels suffered "a side effect from the brain hemorrhage called hyponatremia, a lack of sodium in the body which leads to seizures." Doctors still have not pinpointed the "exact cause of the rupture" in Michaels' brain, she said.

"He is responding well to tests and treatments," Elias said.

Michaels, 47, was the lead singer for the '80s glam-metal "hair band" Poison. He became a reality star by headlining the VH1 show "Rock of Love with Bret Michaels." He has also appeared on "Celebrity Apprentice."

"At this time we are planning to resume the tour May 26th in Ft. Smith, Arkansas provided there are no further complications or setbacks," Elias wrote.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. EmCSte

As a completely NON medical person, the gaul of his manager implying that he may be able to continue a tour a month after a "massive brain hemorrhage" is unrealistic and appalling. Let the poor guy heal properly!

April 28, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tim Rigney

God, what freaking idiot let that guy near a computer keyboard?
    The guy's in intensive care with a massive brain hemorrhage fighting for his life, and they still don't know where the bleed came from. Right now I think "his people" need to be saying, "Thank you for all your support and prayers. These past few days have been very difficult. Please keep Bret in your thoughts and prayers as he continues to fight for his life. He hopes to get back to his many professional activities as soon as that may become possible. Once again, thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers."

April 28, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Paige

Back on tour in a month?? Are you kidding me? Who are these quacks saying that? After a massive brain bleed, if you miraculously survive, you'll likely never be the same.. (cognitively, physical impairment...) SHEESH!

April 28, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cindy Iverson

I am so glad that he is better. I prayed for him to recover. I love him on Celebrity Apprentice and instantly liked him–you see, I'm a grandmother in my 60's and it was just like I was a teenager again by watching him. I hope he continues to be on the mend.

April 29, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. Angela Duran

I have loved Bret and his music for years, since the band Poison began. He is a great singer with much talent! I wish him well and hope that he gets better soon. He needs to take care of himself-his fans can wait until he is well enough and it is safe for him to tour! Love you Bret!Take care of yourself and I wish you a speedy recovery!

April 29, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  6. Shirley Swift

This manager needs to be hospitalized for insanity. This is the craziest thing I have ever heard of. Is he so money hungry to put his client at this terrible risk? I am sure his doctors will never allow it. Obviously he knows nothing about the medical field. He is a joke. Brett should get rid of him.

April 29, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. BC659

You're right, Shirley Swift. The guy should be committed to an insane asylum. Bret should take a year off to enjoy life AND HIS FAMILY before hitting the road again.

April 29, 2010 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. wilson

This is a stupid article that has the only purpose of taking advantage of all the publicity surrounding his illness. No way is he going to tour and they are going to milk this for all it's worth. The only way he's going on tour is if his brain hemorrhage was all a lie to gain public sympathy. In reality, he probably needs 6 months to a year off and that is only if he has a full recovery. If he goes out sooner you can consider that we call got played on how bad he was.

April 29, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jan

Pure nonsense . . . and shame on the person who made this ridiculous statement about beginning to tour perform as early as May. My mother had this exact same type of bleed 21 years ago today, and sadly only made it for 2 days. It's pretty much of a miracle (thank goodness) that he's come this far and shows sign of likely having a mostly positive outcome. And that's definitely not the norm. The mere THOUGHT of him being able to perform before at least another 4-8 months is crazy. I've never been a huge fan, but I certainly don't dislike him as a performer. Hoping he has enough common sense to take care of himself for the sake of his children – he seems to be a really nice guy. I wish him all the best.

April 29, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. kris

Brett I hope you get to feeling better soon don't rush into anything though. listen to your doctors and your body your body knows when its out of sorts youve got some major health concerns going on. sometimes we dont always know why things happen the the way they do or we dont understand why but god does. perhaps this was sort of a wake up call maybe god is trying to tell you to slow down a bit or to count your blessings well whatever god is trying to tell you only he really knows his plans for you. so I guess get plenty of rest, take heed listen to your body and the doctors and get well A.S.A.P I have total confidence that you'll make a full recovery also keep the faith.

April 29, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. JDL

I would fire the fn manager. Give him time to heal and see what happens.

April 29, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jon

IF THIS DOESN'T QUALIFY AS HORSESHIT, I DON'T KNOW WHAT DOES, WHAT KIND OF IDIOT MANAGER DOES THIS GUY HAVE, ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE THE MANAGER HAS BRAIN DAMAGE HIMSELF...WHAT AN IDIOT

April 29, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. Deb

Having suffered such a hemmorhage this past February, I was hospitalized in the ICU for 12 days and spent the better part of 1 month post discharge at home. What remained was photo (light) and noise sensitivity. The residual headaches abated after two months. I cannot conceive nor understand how Mr. Michaels could or would fathom thrusting himself into the midst of such stimulus overload. At best it is foolish, at worst it is dangerous.

April 29, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. mary b

Another news web site said he was having seizures as a side effect of his hemmorage! Fire the REP!

April 29, 2010 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. Michael

I agree with Joseph, I'm a neurologist too and thinking about resuming the tour makes no sense at all. Then again, legally, he may have to. I'm a lawyer too.

April 29, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |