April 28th, 2010

Manager: Bret Michaels' tour could resume in late May

Bret Michaels' recovery from a brain hemorrhage suffered last week is going well enough that his concert tour could resume in a month, according to a statement on his website. The rock singer and reality TV star suffered a massive brain hemorrhage and was hospitalized Friday.

"Even though yesterday was a minor setback, doctors remain hopeful for a full recovery and plan to release more specific information next Monday," his road manager Janna Alias said in the statement.

Tuesday's statement from Elias disclosed Michaels suffered "a side effect from the brain hemorrhage called hyponatremia, a lack of sodium in the body which leads to seizures." Doctors still have not pinpointed the "exact cause of the rupture" in Michaels' brain, she said.

"He is responding well to tests and treatments," Elias said.

Michaels, 47, was the lead singer for the '80s glam-metal "hair band" Poison. He became a reality star by headlining the VH1 show "Rock of Love with Bret Michaels." He has also appeared on "Celebrity Apprentice."

"At this time we are planning to resume the tour May 26th in Ft. Smith, Arkansas provided there are no further complications or setbacks," Elias wrote.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Jan

Pure nonsense . . . and shame on the person who made this ridiculous statement about beginning to perform as early as May. My mother had this exact same type of bleed 21 years ago today, and sadly only made it for 2 days. It's pretty much of a miracle (thank goodness) that he's come this far and shows sign of likely having a mostly positive outcome. And that's definitely not the norm. The mere THOUGHT of him being able to perform before at least another 4-8 months is crazy. I've never been a huge fan, but I certainly don't dislike him as a performer. Hoping he has enough common sense to take care of himself for the sake of his children – he seems to be a really nice guy. I wish him all the best.

April 29, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. ouchy68

I had a SAH 4 yrs ago and mine was a smaller bleed then Brets. I think he'll find that it'll be a good year before he'll feel good enough for a tour. He's going to have headaches for months along with the paranoia of having a second bleed. I'm still amazed at how much it changed my life.
    My advice is to take it slow.

April 29, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. Scott

Hey Bret, when you recover...first thing is first.... FIRE YOUR ROAD MANAGER......!!! Then take the rest of the year off...

April 29, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. obvious

He is a singer people Since when does singing on tour cause medical problems???

It is not like he is an NFL running back or a construction worker or any job that has lots of bodily stress. He sings for 90 minutes .

Singing for Brett Michaels = talking loudly to most people.

It is not like he is an opera singer or even Bette Midler/Streisand where he is pushing his lung capacity with long/booming notes.

April 29, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. katiecat

The first thing Bret Michaels needs to do when he gets out of the hospital is find a new manager, preferably one who cares a bit more about him and less about his money and who has at least a modicum of common sense.

April 29, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mark

May 21st...... First, I would like to know if this tour resumption comes with the blessing of his doctors; My gosh, it's been four days since the event, they apparently haven't even found the cause of the hemorrhage, and it's now being made to sound like he strained a muscle, but he'll be fine in 3 weeks? Seriously, coming this close to death certainly would give me pause. Again, I don't have the medical file, but if I were Bret I sure as hell would want to know the cause, before returning to something as stressful as touring,

April 29, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. Alan

I think that damn wall that came down on his head is possibly the cause..WAY TO GO TONY AWARDS! I wish Bret the BEST and hope he can fully recover!!!

April 29, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mark

Do you suppose they cut off that RIDICULOUS looking weave and extensions that he wears?.... Hope so.

April 29, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. Ked

So I'm assuming we can plan the funeral for, say, around June 1? Just because the man had one good day doesn't mean he is anywhere out of the woods yet. He may still fall over the edge any minute now and be dead. It is beyond absurd for anyone to be planning any resumption of this kind of activity less than a week after what has been described as a massive brain bleed. Either the guy isn't really that sick and had a little migraine or if it was truly a bleed, he needs to be in bed for a major amount of time to recover. If his speech is really slurred and his eyesight blurry, do we really think that will resolve in a month? Bret, save your own life. You have enough money. We've seen you and know you can sing. Go to bed, fire the manager, live on the residuals and enjoy what life you have left. Your girls need you alive more than they need you to keep padding the trust funds.

April 29, 2010 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  10. grayeyedtigger

Bret get better soon, take it easy and take care of yourself, your health comes first, because your children need you. Wish you all the best and a quick recovery.

April 29, 2010 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. ouchy68

he may want to go on tour but his body and his head ain't going to let him. If you've had head trauma you know what i'm talking about. Last thing you're head wants is stage lighting, screaming fans and loud music.

April 29, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. RN

Most people who commented are in their right minds. Bret is not going on the road anytime soon! Bret needs to recuperate, relax, reflect!

April 29, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. Daniel

I bet that the 1 person who actually bought a ticket to see his concert is really happy that the tour is going to continue,

April 29, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. Green Collar Worker

Coming to a State Fair near you!

Hair extensions and prostitutes are expensive, he has to tour.

April 29, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. madolyn

B tetts music lyrics, took me through a very hard time. My mom lay dying of a massive head injury for 32 days. I listened to Poison everyday, Fallen Angel, was like he knew my situation, and was singing just for me. I believe without that cd I might not have made it through. I will always appreciate his music. This is devestating news, and I pray he makes a full recovery. I didn't necessarily like Bretts television show to find true love. That comes to you, I'm sorry he hasn't found that yet. I love Brett Michaels, and will pray for a recovery, that will allow him to do what he does best, and enjoys the most. Please come back to us. Thank you so much for helping me through the days I endured. I love the cd and still play it when I feel melancoly. He's really a true artist. Thank you for everything

April 29, 2010 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |