April 28th, 2010

Manager: Bret Michaels' tour could resume in late May

Bret Michaels' recovery from a brain hemorrhage suffered last week is going well enough that his concert tour could resume in a month, according to a statement on his website. The rock singer and reality TV star suffered a massive brain hemorrhage and was hospitalized Friday.

"Even though yesterday was a minor setback, doctors remain hopeful for a full recovery and plan to release more specific information next Monday," his road manager Janna Alias said in the statement.

Tuesday's statement from Elias disclosed Michaels suffered "a side effect from the brain hemorrhage called hyponatremia, a lack of sodium in the body which leads to seizures." Doctors still have not pinpointed the "exact cause of the rupture" in Michaels' brain, she said.

"He is responding well to tests and treatments," Elias said.

Michaels, 47, was the lead singer for the '80s glam-metal "hair band" Poison. He became a reality star by headlining the VH1 show "Rock of Love with Bret Michaels." He has also appeared on "Celebrity Apprentice."

"At this time we are planning to resume the tour May 26th in Ft. Smith, Arkansas provided there are no further complications or setbacks," Elias wrote.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Chris

Manager Probably losing money...Why Why Why Rush...Money money money...He is Human let him recover....His condition is going to require recover time lots of it...Wasn't some dam headache that Tylenol can take care of....He will find out who is true friends are...God Bless you

April 28, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mandy

Are these people CRAZY??? I'm sure his music buddies and road managers are revving to get their paychecks back again, but like all guys who support an empire, this guy needs to stop listening to the people he financially supports and instead, listen to what his body is telling him. At this point, obviously his fans care more about him than the people who are living off him. That's just wrong.

April 28, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Peppery

"At this time we are planning to resume the tour May 26th in Ft. Smith, Arkansas..." This has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Bret, we love you and want you to recover, but come on...your body is trying to tell you that it needs a break! Don't let anyone push you into something you're just not ready for – take time to heal and be with your family...your fans will still be here for you!

April 28, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cyndi

Does he need money that badly? Get a grip- this is insane

April 28, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JD

This guy's survival is still in question and the bloodthirsty leeches promoting him want to push him out on tour in less than a month? Trying to milk some more $$ out of him before he croaks?

April 28, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. android1

Holy cow.Thats what I call burning the candle at both ends....

April 28, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. KatheM

You don't have a brain stem bleed that lands you in critical care and then go back on the road three weeks later. That statement is either a fantasy or some kind of legal loophole that maybe allows for the promoter to take less of a loss with his venues. Let's hope this poor man gets out of ICU, into rehab, and can take care of basic things like dressing himself, feeding himself, walking etc. That's the scenario everyone should be praying for.

April 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nemesis Nexus

Bret needs to worry about himself and not about what his manager or anyone else wants! Anyone who is a REAL fan of his would also be more concerned about his health than about having to wait for him to be well enough to perform!! Anyone who isn't is cordially invited to go to the nearest 500+ft cliff and DIVE off of it!! If Bret performs NOW or sooner than his body/system has actually recovered the consequences could be DEADLY!!! I'm asking people who ARE fans and actually give a damn to write his web pages and tell the manager to back the hell off and/or if Bret insists he's ready to tell him to listen to his doctors advice and not rush it!! I would rather wait another 6 months for a concert than to see the performer collapse, suffer a relapse or WORSE because he was afraid of disappointing anyone!!!

April 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MontrealMary

OMG...he needs to rest for at least 6 months.
    GO HABS GO!

April 28, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. marie

i agree with all the above comments tour should be canceled not postponed there is always next year if he is 100% health is more inportaint. then money.

April 28, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bonnie

Well i hope and pray mr Brent Michael's condition gets better each day.

April 28, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kristy

My father died instantly of an aneurysm in 98 and then in 08 my sister had one. Within 2 weeks of my sister having hers she was back to her normal. They never pinpointed the source of the bleeding in my sister. My dad was treated for migrains for years despite the fact that he kept telling the doctors it was something else other than migrains, needless to say we found out what it was too little too late. My sister was found unconcious in her house by her roommate and was taken to the ER. Now I have massive constant migrains focused in one spot and can't get a damn doctor to run test to find out if it is a potential aneurysm. I have a feeling like my dad my family will find out too little too late with me too.

April 28, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. foil

What will he do? Roll onto the stage in a wheel chair and mumble some incoherent gibberish while slobbering down his chin? No doubt some ignorant people would pay $50 or more to see him do that, but not me. Will there be FULL refunds if he collapses during a show?

April 28, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pamela

I had a massive brain hemorrhage a year ago in my left temporal lobe, and I went back to work three weeks later. I am determined (most would say stubborn), so nobody was going to talk me out of it. I don't know Mr. Michaels, but success takes drive, so I can see him pushing for this, even while the fentanyl courses through his veins. I did too. In retrospect, I should have taken more time, and I hope he will too. My recovery was a divine miracle – my hemorrhage was so large they gave me 5% change to live. Mr. Michaels – your recovery is a divine gift too. Rest up, heal, and then go back to your passion. You have no idea how weak you will feel until your first day out of the hospital...wait till then to assess your touring plans, okay? I can see by all the postings that your fans love you – they will wait for you to come to them when you're 100% healthy and not at risk of causing more harm to your health. As for the advisers to Mr. Michaels...put your foot down with this driven man before he gets out of the hospital, or get ready for a heck of a roller coaster ride!

April 28, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |