April 28th, 2010

Tea Partiers to illegal immigrants: 'Sign guestbook'

Lee Earle, left, and Ronald Ludders of Phoenix support Arizona's new immigration law.

Lee Earle, a self-identified “Tea Party facilitator” in Arizona, ground zero of the immigration debate, wants you to know that he supports immigration. He considers it the lifeblood of American society and the backbone of our economy – if it’s done legally.

“We want immigration. We need immigration! All we want is for people to sign the guestbook at the door,” said Earle, a Phoenix resident. “Being an illegal immigrant in Arizona is like trespassing. If you’re in my house and you’re not invited, then I have every right to send you out.”

Earle says he supports Arizona’s controversial new law targeting illegal immigration because it lets local law enforcement do what the federal government should be doing to stop people from entering the country unlawfully.

“When people come here without permission, when they come here illegally, they automatically become victims of the coyotes who bring them over and the employers who take advantage of their cheap labor,” Earle said. “Let them come legally so they can take advantage of all the wonderful services and opportunities this great nation has to offer and they can contribute in a meaningful way.”

Earle, a loquacious retiree who gesticulates frequently as he fires off in a stream-of-consciousness manner, shared his thoughts Tuesday night before a legislative district meeting at the Jumbo Buffet in a strip mall in southwest Phoenix.

Dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and jeans, his long gray hair pulled back, Earle said he blames health care, education and incarceration for illegal immigrants for contributing to the state’s $2 billion budget deficit.

“It’s a monetary thing for the state, because I’m a taxpayer but also a human concerned because they can’t take advantage of our legal system because they’re afraid of being deported,” he said.

Earle’s friend and fellow Tea Partier Ronald Ludders dismissed with a wave of the hand the suggestion that the bill encourages racial profiling.

“Illegal is not a race," said Ludders, who, like Earle, is a Republican precinct committeeman for his legislative district. “Law enforcement will be looking for people who they have reasonable suspicion to believe are breaking the law. They cannot stop them based on the color of their skin.”

Both men say this is not about hating Hispanics: Ludders has a home in Mexico, and Earle lives in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood.

“This is about fixing a problem that has been plaguing our communities for a long time. If the federal government isn’t going to do anything, I’m proud of Arizona for stepping up to the plate,” Earle said.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • U.S.
soundoff (1,254 Responses)
  1. Walter

@ BRANDON – Wow, that's a brilliant legal mind you gotcha there. Really top notch.

Unfortunately, though, reasonable suspicion CANNOT mean "'seeing someone commit a crime' to one person and 'looking Hispanic' to another." Reasonable suspicion means "reasonable suspicion that a crime is or has taken place – an objectively justifiable suspicion that is based on specific facts or circumstances and that justifies stopping and sometimes searching (as by frisking) a person thought to be involved in criminal activity at the time.

Got it? "Looking Hispanic," genius, is not an "objectively justifiable suspicion that is based on specific facts or circumstances and that justifies stopping and sometimes searching (as by frisking) a person thought to be involved in criminal activity at the time" because "looking Hispanic" is not a crime.

Dude, seriously, do some research before you pretend to be F. Lee Bailey.

Furthermore, oh, wonderful researcher, the Arizona law IN THIS BILL ITSELF (Sec. 6, Paragraph B) prohibits discrimination in this law based on "race, color, or national origin."

In addition, your Wiki chart is out of date. It's from 2006 and, according to other sources, illegal aliens number from 18,000,000 to 22,000,000 NOT 11 million. Double that chart's number. But let's use those numbers anyway for convenience, okay?

Arizona's population is 6.5 million. 500,000 illegals = about 7.5%

California's population is 37 million. 2,930,000 illegals = about 7.9%.

Your "25% of ALL illegals" means NOTHING. It's proportional here.

And, additionally, it doesn't mean anything in a broader context either. The murder rate in Des Moines is lower than that in Detroit. Should Des Moines just NOT investigate homicide or enforce murder laws 'cause Detroit's the city with the REAL problem?

See, illegal is ILLEGAL. Period. No matter where you are or what you're doing or where you're from or what your skin color is or what your religion is or what language you speak. Illegal is ILLEGAL.

Also, illegal immigrants illegally gain access to only a couple of social benefits?!?!?! Are you kidding? Seriously? You need to do some MORE research. Just the schooling of the children of illegals in Arizona is almost $1 billion per year. Just the schooling.

Here, let me help you, fellow Californian:

From that, it's estimated that illegal immigrants cost our state $10.5 BILLION per YEAR every YEAR. That's schooling, health care, and incarceration.

Wow. That's almost HALF of the state budget deficit. Weird, huh?

I love Mexico. I love Mexicans. I love immigrants. Period, wey! As I've said before "soy un mexicano en mi corazon."

But we cannot keep paying for illegals and we cannot allow people who are breaking the law to continue without consequences. If we do, it's California and Arizona and New Mexico and Texas and Florida who will have to pay for the consequences.

April 28, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Marc

So people are all for solving the illegal immigrant problem but feel that this law enables racial profiling? I have a lot of friends that are cops and they already profile. Like I said before I am white with a shaved head, goatee, and earrings and I get pulled over all the time though I have done nothing wrong because the officer claimed he had "probable cause". That was profiling. Black people get pulled over for being black in every state, Latinos get pulled over for being Latino in every state, white guys with shaved heads and earrings get pullled for being white with shaved head and earrings in every state. This is already going on yet you hypocrites sit on the sidelines and say nothing until it becomes a hot button issue? Illegal immigrants do pay some taxes, sales tax. They do not pay a federal wage tax nor does the employer submit the I-9 to the IRS along with a W2 because without a SS number they cannot pay income taxes at the federal level so that arguement is bunk. This new hot button issue is really not new, I have been pulled over so often for "being suspicious" it is absurd yet I have never been arrested and have one ticket for minimal speeding in my life. I am not a Republican by any means nor conservative but this whole thing is stupid. This law is not going to create racial profiling, it already exists yet nobody says anything until now. Are all illegal immigrants criminals? Technically yes but does that mean they are all drug dealers, felons, or involved in the sex trade? No. There are so many posts on here that are beyond incredulous. Many make no valid point and you cannot read them because they are so mispelled, try reading a book and getting of the grid for awhile sometime. Did not mean to ramble but the point I was making is profiling, racial or not, already happens every day this law does not change that. Does it suck? Yes it really does trust me, but it is a fact of life until we can see people and not just color. So stop being hypocrites, I have seen people from all walks of life react based on race, it is a proven scientific fact that people have reactions to the color of ones skin or personal appearance. Everyone is a racist at least on a subconscious level regardless of skin color.

April 28, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sayed

I understand WHY people are willing to come in illegally. Ok, sure, they're hungry and starving or want a better life. But some want to sell us drugs and come here for the purpose of crime, as well.

Why do people break into homes? Some are hungry, and want to steal for food. Some want to steal to for money for other things, drugs, and whatever else.

Is there anyone on this board OK with their house being broken into, people coming in uninvited, even if nothing ends up being taken?

How is your country different? Unless you do not see it as your country, as your nation.

I see the hungry of this country, people who are citizens who could use more help. I see people as well who come here from other countries, who are willing to break the laws here to survive, starting with entering illegally, to stealing identities to physical things to committing crimes for their own needs.

To those who say we should welcome all these illegals and give them what they need, what have you done for those who are legal and are also in need.

April 28, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Todd S.

The real criminals are the employers that hire illegal immigrants. Start throwing them in jail and watch how fast the problem is solved.

April 28, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kat

I agree 100% ! There is NOTHING in this law that promotes racism. I hope supporters of this bill will boycott San Francisco since they want to make bogus claims about this law. I for one will be more than happy to spend lots of money in the state of Arizona !!!

Come one, come all but do it the legal way or be shown to the door!

April 28, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Efrain

April 28, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SGT CHIN

How about us all minority cops start arresting all whites and demand proof of citizenship. Cant wait to have my first stop and see that look.

April 28, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sunshine

Chocolate Bear what do you think the free trade was supposed to do. It was supposed to help Mexico develop a middle class society, which being as crooked as they are, it did not happen. Since Mexico is boycotting Arizona, I think that is great. Now the illegals will go back to California. People in California pay a fortune in taxes and the State is broke due to benefits to illegals. Or perhaps they should go to New Mexico, since Richardson feels we should let the illegals alone. As for Special Characters, it is people liike you that cause these problems. All you think about is suing, suing, suing.

The police has the right when they stop you to ask for identification, registration, and insurance. If you don't have it, then they have the right to question you further and fine you or toss you in jail if need be.

Lastly, the majority of crimes committed in Arizona are caused by Hispanics. So it is not racial profiling. The police have to be suspicious.

April 28, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cheryl

Doesn't this immigration bill just give the cops a loophole and legal way to harrass ANYONE they want at any time they want? They already do it ILLegally; what's going to stop them now??

April 28, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. B

I seriously would like to see this enforced in all states. If this was introduced in a New England State this wouldn't have gotten as much press due to the higher percentage of Hispanic illegals in Arizona. Seriously though, it's not just Mexicans coming in illegal. You have other countries and nationalities entering in our country illegally. Russians, Chinese, Indians, etc. This is for all races and all outside countries but people want to keep bringing up Hispanics and say this is racial profiling. It's not technically because you have WHITE PEOPLE entering the US illegally as well. It's just that it really does matter what part of the country you are in. Arizona's illegals are predominantly hispanic but the law truly is not prejudice against one race. Think about it

April 28, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scott Anderson

CHILDRE BORN HERE BY FOREIGNERS CAN APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP!!!!!!! THAT WAY MEXICANS WON'T COME SNEEK IN HERE AND HAVE THEIR CHILD HERE SO THEY CAN BE AMERICANS!!!!! THAT LAW IS FEULING THIS INVASIAN. NO TO AMNESTY AND SEAL OUR BORDERS FOR OUR CHILDRENS FUTURE!!!!! THIS ANCHOR BABY LAW IS KILLING US!!!! CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND SENATORS!!!!

April 28, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MrThink3r

I also wonder what happened to humanity? Most of the illegal immigrants are here just to feed their family. They weren't born with the luxury that we were born with. If you believe in God and God actually has an influence on your life don't you fear what God will think of those who treat his people that way? And for those who don't believe in God, do you have any heart or compassion for people? They have to walk through a desert knowing they aren't wanted. Wouldn't you do the same for your family? Or is it sorry family the law is the law? Or is it since I was born in Mexico I can't have a family because I can barely support myself. What is there in life without family? I say lets fix the system not kick people out. I am sure if we had an efficient system then we wouldn't have this problem. And please don't blame it on the Obama Admin. No other party has ever done anything about this and the Obama Admin I believe has a war and an economy to deal with. And Idk if the illegals are making our economy worse because I go to a website that says they help our economy and others say they don't. But I am speaking on what I do know and that is if I was born in Mexico I wouldn't want other people telling me what I can or can't do in regards to feeding my family or myself.

April 28, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Alex

Don't panic! We're Hispanic!

Here is the only solution for all this illegal immigration problem....MAKE ALL ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS THAT ARE HERE LEGAL. There, problem solved.

And for those who are racist and ignorant towards Mexicans being illegal, do you realize there are millions of other nationalities that are here illegaly? That you call "aliens" as well? Hmmm...Let's see, we have Haitians, Canadians, Brasilians, Guatemalan, Honduran, Peruvian, Bolivian, Argentinan, Honurdian, Jamicans, Cubans, Dominicans, the list goes on and on and on.

April 28, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Diego

Hey Marc.
    So you are defending cops that pull you over for no reason at all? How would you like it if they were protected under the law for doing so? How would you like it if you had to carry a passport or birth certificate around to prove you belong here, or go to jail. PS: you can always grow hair or get rid of your earrings, but a skin transplant is kind of tough.

April 28, 2010 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. svd

It seems funny to me that everyone makes out Arizonans like some cowboy wild bunch. I have lived here in AZ all my life, what everyone around here calls a "native" due to the apparent rarity. Vast numbers of people that reside in my state legally are from elsewhere around the country. Its seems especially since the housing market went BOOM, we've had huge numbers of people move to the Phoenix metro area from all over the nation. Even large numbers from California of all places, the very neighbor that now wants to boycott us(by the way, enjoy your unfair share of the Colorado river while you're at it, you'll probably need it to wash all the smog residue off your cars every week). The way I see it is everyone wants to call us a bunch or racists, or nazi's or whatever. But from whatever part of the country you're writing from, chances are we here in AZ have a bunch of people that were once native to your area. So before you sling too much mud, remember that Phoenix is largely populated by people from other parts of the nation, maybe even your area.

April 28, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84