April 28th, 2010

Tea Partiers to illegal immigrants: 'Sign guestbook'

Lee Earle, left, and Ronald Ludders of Phoenix support Arizona's new immigration law.

Lee Earle, a self-identified “Tea Party facilitator” in Arizona, ground zero of the immigration debate, wants you to know that he supports immigration. He considers it the lifeblood of American society and the backbone of our economy – if it’s done legally.

“We want immigration. We need immigration! All we want is for people to sign the guestbook at the door,” said Earle, a Phoenix resident. “Being an illegal immigrant in Arizona is like trespassing. If you’re in my house and you’re not invited, then I have every right to send you out.”

Earle says he supports Arizona’s controversial new law targeting illegal immigration because it lets local law enforcement do what the federal government should be doing to stop people from entering the country unlawfully.

“When people come here without permission, when they come here illegally, they automatically become victims of the coyotes who bring them over and the employers who take advantage of their cheap labor,” Earle said. “Let them come legally so they can take advantage of all the wonderful services and opportunities this great nation has to offer and they can contribute in a meaningful way.”

Earle, a loquacious retiree who gesticulates frequently as he fires off in a stream-of-consciousness manner, shared his thoughts Tuesday night before a legislative district meeting at the Jumbo Buffet in a strip mall in southwest Phoenix.

Dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and jeans, his long gray hair pulled back, Earle said he blames health care, education and incarceration for illegal immigrants for contributing to the state’s $2 billion budget deficit.

“It’s a monetary thing for the state, because I’m a taxpayer but also a human concerned because they can’t take advantage of our legal system because they’re afraid of being deported,” he said.

Earle’s friend and fellow Tea Partier Ronald Ludders dismissed with a wave of the hand the suggestion that the bill encourages racial profiling.

“Illegal is not a race," said Ludders, who, like Earle, is a Republican precinct committeeman for his legislative district. “Law enforcement will be looking for people who they have reasonable suspicion to believe are breaking the law. They cannot stop them based on the color of their skin.”

Both men say this is not about hating Hispanics: Ludders has a home in Mexico, and Earle lives in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood.

“This is about fixing a problem that has been plaguing our communities for a long time. If the federal government isn’t going to do anything, I’m proud of Arizona for stepping up to the plate,” Earle said.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • U.S.
soundoff (1,254 Responses)
  1. Spanish American

Hey Dumazz, or should I just call you moron since that seems to be one of your favorite words. Can't have a convo without insults can we??

This bill does not turn back the clock regarding anything that happened during the previous civil rights movements. If fact I don't think it has anything to do with civil rights. None are being violated in my opinion. We are simply asking people that are documented to kindly exit the country, or we'll assist. Very simple, or don't you get it Dumazz??

April 29, 2010 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dumazz Sez

All u people that claim to support this bill and claim not to be racist... Try implementing a little human compassion the next time u guys get together to make "white only" laws.

April 29, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Des de Texas

Patricia, thanks for proving my point.

April 29, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. Patrick

Haha!
    I love it.
    Not really.
    So... we outsource all of our jobs somewhere else.
    Rich businessmen create the illegals working for cheap market here.
    We're unwilling to do the jobs the illegals do for the wage they do.
    And now we're going to start wasting time, money and resources on this crap?
    I was born in AZ and am quite embarrassed. Not in the least bit surprised, mind you.
    But embarrassed.
    Man... the indigenous population must look at all of this and really scratch their heads.
    We're a bloody nation of immigrants.
    Bloated and fat now.
    Unwilling to work hard and more interested in American Idol than an American Ideal.
    Sheeple!
    Stop waving around a document you don't understand (the Constitution).

April 29, 2010 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jude

Mexico has the riches man in the world, beautiful land, beaches enjoyed by the rich and the desperately poor willing to die for work. Mexico, no tienes verguenza.!!

April 29, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dumazz Sez

Ok Spanish... so if im american of latino decent.. u think i wont get my rights violated? You're the real moron. What world do u live in? Oh it must be a white only world...

April 29, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. John

I wonder if the Pilgrims and all the immigrants of the 13 colonies actually applied for legal migration to this land from the Native Americans. This country was founded on migration, whether it be legal, illegal or forced.

Also, give me a break with this whole "more jobs" argument. You all know that the majority of you won't be taking the fruit picking jobs, the dishwashing jobs, leaf blowing jobs for 6 bucks an hour, if they became available to you.

April 29, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mario

I will expect to be racially profiled... I will produce my ID in total silence. Not only will I utilize my right to reamain silent during this repeated and ongoing humiliation but I will not so much as speak to the offending police officer. I will dutifully produce my papers but ignore his every word as if he doesn't even exist. He may as well not even ask me any queestions as I will not even acknowledge he is speaking to me at all. Once he has verified that I am an American citizen with no outstanding warrants. I will turn my back to him and walk away a free man without so much as a simple word to him.

April 29, 2010 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mom in PHX

Dumazz Sez,

Some one here legally would not be hindered by not being able to abtain a legal license. Some one here legally would not be hindered by the fact since they don't have a legal license they could not register the car and carry insurance. One broken law by entering the US with out proper papers leads to many, many more offenses. And this is just one example.

How about the illegal's that shot up my grandmother's neighborhood with an AK47? Luckily no one was hurt, but 25 houses were shot up. Who paid for the repairs? Who lived in fear. The true target was a house of other illegals dealing drugs (rivals). Too bad a police officer was in the area and tailed them, they got caught, with drugs as well. So did the others when someone spilled the beans.

A rancher not far from here just got executed along with his dog, on his own ranch because he was trying to secure his livestock, illegals were stealing them and running human trafficking and drugs thorough is land. Gee, I thought stealing, human trafficking, and drug running were all illegal here, and these all involve other illegal activities, either by the people coming here illegally, or by the ones doing the trafficking. Residents here don't have long to wait for the news to break other story of those trying to come here illegally being help captive in drop houses by those traffickers. It is not unheard of to hear of counts as high as 50+ just being held in one house. They would have been better off coming here legally and walking in the front door as honored guests of the US.

Do you think that I could go to Japan and break the law there and not have to take responsibly? Remember the teen who graffiti-ed in Singapore and got caned for it? He broke the law there, and had to take the punishment, and even the State Department could not intervene on a punishment many here in the US thought was excessive. Why should some one be able to commit crimes here and go unpunished? Go to another country, even if it is right next door, obey the laws!!!

April 29, 2010 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Dumazz Sez

Hope i added enough fuel to the fire.. Don't hate, Spanish.. Just being real. Lates y'all

April 29, 2010 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. Casey

Dear Dumazz
    Its a pity that the Mexican government fails it`s people. The people of Mexico need to fix the situation down there. If we don't fix ours, there will be as many hungry people here as down there. We sometimes need to worry about the plates of our own children. We are not in a position to hand out charity until we fix our problems first. We cannot even help ourselves at this moment. Leave religion out of politics too please. Its like racism to say "and you call your selves Christians" No we call ourselves Americans.

April 29, 2010 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. beerbellian

SPANISH AMERICAN..You should also leave. what's with the "Spanish" aren't you simply 'American" Don't let Moose hit you with the door on your way out

April 29, 2010 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  13. Patricia

Spanish American, I personally think the issue of illegal immigration needs to be handled with complete immigration reform. A political issue as big and serious as this honestly can't be solved with this one bill, and as I've stated several times on this comment board, it cannot be solved simply by further militarization of the border either. It's a giant question involving the conditions in Mexico, the motives to cross, the feasibility of acquiring a visa to get into the US legally to work/go to school, etc etc. In the past, when it was easier to acquire a work visa or something of the sort, many immigrants came in through Mexico and returned, following the daily or yearly or whatever limitations of the visa because it was not such a process as it is now to acquire one. The fact that it can take years to acquire visa and the general difficulties in crossing the border now are resulting in higher numbers of immigrations overstaying an expired visa or coming in illegally and not crossing back because of the high level of danger. The entire system needs to be reworked, and I do not think this law is a step in that right direction.

April 29, 2010 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. sickandtired

Dear Dumazz Sez – your friend was selfish and foolish to have kids he couldn't afford to feed. Why does Juan feel he is "entitled" to come here and break to law to provide for his kids? It's not the United States responsiblity or obligation to take pity on everyone in the world who needs a job to feed their kids because of their poor planning. Newsflash – there's an awful lot of US citizens who are not wealthy.

PS: It's also not a matter of "what's more of a crime" it's all wrong – illegal is illegal.

Stop trying to work the guilt angle using words like compassion, pity, dream and pointing the finger at Christians. Shame on you. None of these things justify breaking US laws.

April 29, 2010 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  15. Spanish American

I live in the NY/NJ area where the minorities are the majority moron, aka Dumazz. I'm Spanish with latino family members, and no my rights to live free in this country will not be violated if it became national law or if I visited AZ. I'm of dark complexion and maybe considered South American, was not born in the US, and am 100% confident that my liberties will be upheld. See my ID, sure, no problem, with Pleasure officer. Thank you for ridding the country of this economic drain, my tax dollar should be going to better use. Moron.

April 29, 2010 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84