April 28th, 2010

Tea Partiers to illegal immigrants: 'Sign guestbook'

Lee Earle, left, and Ronald Ludders of Phoenix support Arizona's new immigration law.

Lee Earle, a self-identified “Tea Party facilitator” in Arizona, ground zero of the immigration debate, wants you to know that he supports immigration. He considers it the lifeblood of American society and the backbone of our economy – if it’s done legally.

“We want immigration. We need immigration! All we want is for people to sign the guestbook at the door,” said Earle, a Phoenix resident. “Being an illegal immigrant in Arizona is like trespassing. If you’re in my house and you’re not invited, then I have every right to send you out.”

Earle says he supports Arizona’s controversial new law targeting illegal immigration because it lets local law enforcement do what the federal government should be doing to stop people from entering the country unlawfully.

“When people come here without permission, when they come here illegally, they automatically become victims of the coyotes who bring them over and the employers who take advantage of their cheap labor,” Earle said. “Let them come legally so they can take advantage of all the wonderful services and opportunities this great nation has to offer and they can contribute in a meaningful way.”

Earle, a loquacious retiree who gesticulates frequently as he fires off in a stream-of-consciousness manner, shared his thoughts Tuesday night before a legislative district meeting at the Jumbo Buffet in a strip mall in southwest Phoenix.

Dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and jeans, his long gray hair pulled back, Earle said he blames health care, education and incarceration for illegal immigrants for contributing to the state’s $2 billion budget deficit.

“It’s a monetary thing for the state, because I’m a taxpayer but also a human concerned because they can’t take advantage of our legal system because they’re afraid of being deported,” he said.

Earle’s friend and fellow Tea Partier Ronald Ludders dismissed with a wave of the hand the suggestion that the bill encourages racial profiling.

“Illegal is not a race," said Ludders, who, like Earle, is a Republican precinct committeeman for his legislative district. “Law enforcement will be looking for people who they have reasonable suspicion to believe are breaking the law. They cannot stop them based on the color of their skin.”

Both men say this is not about hating Hispanics: Ludders has a home in Mexico, and Earle lives in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood.

“This is about fixing a problem that has been plaguing our communities for a long time. If the federal government isn’t going to do anything, I’m proud of Arizona for stepping up to the plate,” Earle said.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • U.S.
soundoff (1,254 Responses)
  1. Tall, BROWN and handsome!

Hey Spanish American, believe me, you are not perfect to cast any stone. We all fall short of perfection.Enough said. I respect your answer but if my opinion was not directed to you then don't comment. Read my post carefully. Great that you DON'T cheat the system!

April 29, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. T-Hawk

Well,

I believe that we are all entitled to live in our home planet. This is our home and we all have the right to live in it. If not, let's all go back to history and ask the pilgims why they came here, and eventually wiped out the Real Americans.

It's that justified?

"For just as you judge and criticize and condemn others, you will be judged and criticized and condemned, The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged."

April 29, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. Scott A

=============================

Hogwash. Tea partiers don't want any immigration if its from people who aren't white. People who call immigrants "the lifeblood of American society" do not terrorize them, hunt them down, and propose to put microchips in them like their pets. If the tea party-goers really cared about America (which they don't), they'd go after all these fat cats on Wall Street and all these other companies throughout the country who don't report and pay their fair share of taxes and who have taken billions upon billions of taxpayers' money to make them richer with the GOP's planned bailouts. All these tea party people who are either bigots or just ignorant need to fix the citizens in their own country before they start picking on everyone else. Otherwise their arguments are baseless and crass.

April 29, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Travis

I think it is clear that noone in this string of comments is against legal immigration. Every person in the US (and I mean everyone including "Native" Americans) came from another location at some time.

The simple matter is we have a problem with illegal immigration. Congress has failed to act due to lack of cooperation between parties. As a result states are taking actions which they feel to be in their best interest of their constituents.

Concern over offending someone cannot take precedence over the safety and welfare of legal citizens.

Is the Arizona law perfect, no, however it at least lays out a baseline to deal with a significant issue that needed to be addressed.

April 29, 2010 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. Rickkk

Short in cash? Have dark skin? If you are a US citizen, soon you will be able to make good money by going to Nazizona. How? Just go and stand in front of Home Depot or Lowe’s (make sure you are on the sidewalk and not in the parking lot). Try to dress like a day worker. Have one of your friends call the police and say that illegal immigrants are looking for jobs in front of that store. If police officers show up, act disoriented and scared. If they ask for ID, say that you don’t have any on you, but that you are a US citizen (this part might work better if you have an accent). If the police officer is racist, he might arrest you. Here is where you earn your money; keep on telling the police officer that you are just a US citizen looking for a job. At this moment you friend should call an ACLU lawyer and have them take your ID or passport to the police station. Once released, sue the police department and the city for racial profiling and falsely arresting you! Enjoy your settlement!

April 29, 2010 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Earnie G

I applaud Arizona for simply enforcing the current federal law. Changes must be made and if it has to start with this, so be it.

April 29, 2010 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mom in PHX

Dumazz Sez,

And another thing, as I mentioned before, it took years for my mother in law to get her naturalization papers. I guess she should have done it back when she first got here, like her husband did, it must have been better 4 decades ago, rather than 5 years ago. I don't see how you could claim that she had so much money to buy her way in. I am OFFENDED by that comment!!! Now who is judging who??

I am sure that if someone was buying their way in, it would have happened much faster than that. She had to contact her area's representative in the Senate's office to help re-find her paperwork after numerous delays. If you are here legally, did you know that your representatives offices can help with that? No lawyers, no additional costs. A very nice lady kept up with several sets of paperwork, and she got updates every several weeks or so. I will the first to agree that the process needs to be changed, but then, that is not the argument here, is it??

Come here legally, and then you can conduct your business legally.

As for your friend with three jobs, I know plenty of people willing to wash dishes. Many of them young adults trying to make it in the world. With no work experience, it hard to get a job in the best of economies, let alone now. I did food service myself for several years. Because I came from not well-to-do roots, I had to work hard to go to school. I worked two jobs, attended a university, and a junior college at the same time in order to get my degree. Yes, I got into the university, but took care of the classes I could at the junior college to soften the financial blow. AND I paid for my schooling, and paid off my loans my self. No money from my parents to help me. I paid my loans off early as well, 4 out of 10 years early! So don't be telling me illegals have the monopoly on the willingness to do hard work. I've been working since I was 11 with a paper route.

Now if everyone will excuse me I have kids to get up for school in the morning and work to deal with. And somehow, the laundry and the housework had not learned to do itself. So it is dishes and the kitchen floor before bed.

April 29, 2010 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Spanish American

I just had to reply before bed Tall.....it wasn't directed at me because you were asking all White People if they never abused the welfare system?? Well yes I am 100% Spanish, but born in Spain hence making me European by birth, making me, well white no? I have latinos, specifically Mexicans, married into my immediate family and we are all on the same page as far as this bill, which we approve. We pay enough in taxes as is, especially living in NJ. Take care bro.

April 29, 2010 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  9. Don

Why is it so hard for the Fed to enforce existing law? they always pick and chose which law to enforce. If they enforce the existing immigration law, then AZ would not have to pass their own law. If they make sure ALL employers use E verify and punish and fine the employers for hiring undocumented workers, that will stop the abuse, and when there is no demand for the worker, they will stop coming.
    Mexico will not fix their economy as long as they can send their citizen across the border to make money and send them home. I have seen many pregnant Mexican woman crossed the border when they almost ready to give birth, visit the US as a tourist and then conveniently give nirth to their child huring their stay for free, and then the kid automatically became a US citizen and anchor baby.
    The Fed have been ignoring their own law and now wants to sue Arizona and demonize Arizona?
    For those of you who love illegal immigants, have you try to live and work illegally in Mexico?

April 29, 2010 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  10. phil

People should read the text of the law before they claim that "Mexican Looking People will be randomly stopped and interrogated". Asking about status requires a lawful contact and reasonable suspicion (aka probable cause). Our police do not have the right to randomly question for absolutely no reason. They can't do it on a whim. They can't do it because you "look illegal". There has to be reasonable suspicion and "being a mexican" doesn't meet that legal standard, in anybody's book.

It also makes it a Felony in the state of AZ to transport (knowingly) a person (or persons) who are not legally allowed to be in this country. This mirrors (unenforced) existing Federal law.

stop it with all the "scare tactics" and "race card playing." If you are against this bill then you are either for people willfully breaking our existing laws or you are for the equivalent of "slave labor" because you are afraid of $5/head lettuce. Yep, illegals should be allowed to stay, so that can reap the good life and pick lettuce for a liberal.

This is a country of laws. Bad laws are overturned in our courts. Unconstitutional laws are thrown out. Let the legal beagles determine if this law is unconstitutional.

April 29, 2010 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. greg

The true irony is that the first illegal immigrant was the white man. Back to Europe, all of us!

April 29, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. lourdes b

hooray for the arizona ..

i am an legal immigrant , paying taxes ,
    contributing to the society and not a burden to
    the medical system, educational system of the
    country .
    really it is about time that a state will defend
    their territory...

i highly admire you for the steps you've taken
    to defend the citizen of arizona.

April 29, 2010 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. ummmmreally

There are other races that are here illegally. Illegal is illegal is illegal. Stop everyone, who cares if they are "white" they could be Russian and here illegally. Stop me, I'm "white" even though I'm Native American, and I was born here, I'll proudly display my Birth certificate, or passport. I'm proud to be a LEGAL American, who wouldn't be proud to prove it? C'mon now.

PS see that "hockey guy" 🙂 Birth Certificate or Passport, those are your "papers". Did you forget that you need those to prove your citizenship when you travel LEGALLY to other countries?

April 29, 2010 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  14. Chris

I despise almost all of you. Short-sighted morons.

April 29, 2010 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. manciamusic

You guys are wrong!

listen carefully: Viva AZ1070!
    this is a list of benefit we will get from AZ1070 law:

1-The state will waste about 10 or 15 millions(that they don't have now)
    trying to defend the law at the FEd courts, the law will never survive the legal tsunami because it's clearly non-constitutional like others before.

2-The state will not gain 100 to 125 millions (in one year) in economic transactions because the massive boycott from latinoamerica and cities in EU and Canada.(an maybe the superball too)

3-Home land security department will block the arbitrary detentions of immigrants because
    will exceed the logistic capacity and legal procedures, courts will get over populated wasting tax payer's money that will never be covered by the 2500 fee that illegals have to pay

4-take to the jail 6 month each immigrant will cost 25000 dollars each to AZ Gov
    because Home land security department have no budget to cover massive jailing and deportations, you will have to set them free! because ICE will take just the real criminals.

If you think you are solving the illegal immigration problem:

1-The new law will open and accelerate the immigration debate and will end in a massive legalization to solve the problem in Washington.

2-Latino community was dispersed ...now they become united in a huge heavy Political
    block . (I'm talking about legal ones that can vote...)

3-Young Latino vote raised 70% this year in UsA as result of the anti-inmigrant laws
    so you will have more latino vote every single year....and it will change the political
    distribution of power in EEUU

4-YOU MAKE them more stronger!!!! can you see!

just to refresh you memory:
    Hitler did hate jewish...now jewish own germany

Rome did hate christians... now Christian own rome

Americans did slave Blacks... now blacks own the presidency of united states

Now: proud patriot americans like you blame illegal and legal inmigrants....
    but You don't know Fed Gov and bankers are planing to merge up , EEUU, Mexico and Canada in a Huge block with open borders...very soon. ( like EU)

Thanks for make your job and make inmigrants a powerfull political block....
    you will never gain nothing from hate and be Non -tolerable person.

April 29, 2010 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84