April 28th, 2010

Toyota recalls Sequoia SUVs

Toyota Motor Sales has announced plans to recall about 50,000 Toyota Sequoia SUVs because of a problem with their Vehicle Stability Control systems that can cause the vehicles to hesitate or slow down at low speeds.

The SUVs involved were all manufactured early in the 2003 model year. As part of the planned recall, Toyota will upgrade the VSC software.

"In vehicles without the upgrade, the VSC system could, in limited situations, activate at low speed (approximately 9 mph) for a few seconds after acceleration from a stopped position and, as a result, the vehicle may not accelerate as quickly as the driver expects," Toyota said in a written announcement.

Read CNN Money's full story

1. Oscar

haha so much for the best quality in the world haha what now you toyota fans hahaha

April 28, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John Swanagon

Yesterday, I listened to an industry expert talk about how Toyota has morphed into the GM of old. It makes sense. Toyota cut corners and skimped on quality to maximize profits. In the past, Toyota's dedication to quality and pride in their brand made them #1. To be honest, I'm glad they have thrown quality to the four winds. (Although not to a point where safety becomes an issue.) It has left the door open for people to consider buying a Ford Motor Company product. Ford is now building top quality, exciting, and state-of-the-art vehicles. They are the new Toyota. The new GM is on their way too. This is good news for America. Let's get back to leading the industry that WE created. Lastly, I'm very upset that Toyota has not only decided to skimp on quality, but to move manufacturing of some of their cars and SUVs back to Japan. Toyota endangers our family and friends, then blames them for the safety hazard, finally admits they were wrong, and then pulls their manufacturing back to Japan. Folks, don't buy a Toyota... especially when you can get a great product from right here at home.

April 28, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Greg

Wooahh my mom just got one of these also.... maybe I should tell her.. -___-

April 28, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mom in PHX

I don't buy into the whole "floor mat" problem causing unwanted, uncommanded acceleration. My '04 Highlander was recalled in 2006 for the same thing. They knew about it. And in my recall, the floor mats aren't the rubber things you put your muddy feet on, but the carpet. Toyoda calls them floors mats, but we the average public would call it the carpet. In my car's recall, Toyoda says that the clips holding the carpet in place could brake and the carpet come out from the center console and get jammed under the gas pedal. While watching things unfold, I am more and more convinced that Toyoda has a much larger problem (like a computer program/electronics issue) and is trying to cover it up with a bunch of smoke and mirrors. I would expect that there will be tons of small recalls covering many years and models trying to correct the issue before the general public and the NHSTA find out what is really going on. While they have your car, they fix the computer software on your car with an "update". Just watch.

I don't have much confidence in the NHSTA either, if they can't evaluate car electronics due to lack of expertise, then bring in the engineers that brought FLY BY WIRE in our commercial jet aircraft and the experts that helped the FAA evaluate and approve them.

April 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Royboy

Why are Americans still buying Toyota's are we so dense that we can't see the problems with these vehicles? I keep watching reports of people who still say they trust Toyota. Well you get what you pay for; cheap cars = cheap quality and safety. Do that math.

April 28, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joe Autoworker

I was layed off from the NUMMI plant in Fremont CA. It was a joint venture with Toyota and GM. Toyota has known for years there have been safety problems with their cars and trucks but never would admit it. Now they have no choice but to comply with the NHSTA fine$ and standards to call for recalls. Its about time!

April 28, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sara Roberts

The American car industry has learned what they needed from Japan, Americans should support Ford and GM and buy American again!

April 28, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Paul McNerney

Dear John,

Ford and GM have faltered so many times that I would NEVER trust a car built buy them. I do not support antiquated unions that reward or condone lazy workers. I know the UAW is mostly at fault but the work ethic of a union worker is below par! An for the record I do not support Toyota or Honda either. I wish there was a forward thinking quality car manufacturer in the US but their is not!! I wish there were quality car manufacturers world wide, however there is not!!

Us educated folk know that we can easily break the 50+mpg rating with current technology, however the oil companies wont allow it. Automobile manufacturing is a joke and the joke is on us the consumer. Toyota messed up, but Ford and GM have messed up far worse in the past!

And for the record I drive a VW and am currently looking to by a used Volvo or BMW or VW so I can drive a ok future forward well built but overpriced car!

Cheers!

April 28, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Steve

In the face of all of this, I'd still consider a Toyota before a GM and I've never owned a Toyota, though I own a GM. A Ford yes absolutely Ford builds cars and trucks to go 200,000. GM builds cars to go a little over 100,000 miles, I've paid the price for believing GM had changed, they haven't I won't make that mistake twice.

April 28, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Master Charles

Toyota is having a great deal of difficulty finding its butt with both hands. Toyota, if at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed...........or just keep on sucking.

April 28, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sara

I've worked in the transporation industry for years and have seen countless reports of shoddy and poorly put together American cars with horrific gas mileage and shabby cheap interiors.

I'm going to go where I can get high quality and low price- cleary that is not Toyota, but if it takes me to Honda or even Hyundai, that's where I will go. As soon as American makers can come to par with this standard, I will consider it. To date, the only manufacturer I have seen actually improve upon their cars is Ford.

April 28, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Reinhardt

To: Peter Valdes-Dapena, senior writer, regarding the 10 coolest cars under $18000:
    I don't think you are living in this world with your assessment of the 10 coolest cars. VW, the largest car manufacturer in the world since November 2009 when it overtook Toyota, has several models below $18000 which outperform and outsell all the cars you are listing including the TDi models displaying by far the best fuel economy.

May 31, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |