April 29th, 2010

Tucson police officer files suit over immigration law

A police officer in Tucson, Arizona, filed a lawsuit against the state's governor Thursday over a controversial new immigration law.

Officer Martin H. Escobar says in the lawsuit that there are no "race-neutral criteria or basis to suspect or identify who is lawfully in the United States."

The law allows police to ask anyone for proof of legal U.S. residency. Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer and others who support the law say it does not involve racial profiling or any other illegal acts.

Read the full CNN.com story

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Politics • U.S.
  1. shawn

This law must have all those illegal Canadiens shaking in their boots!

April 29, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jack

I agree with the officer. Sure the law may not mention any race, but exactly how is an officer to decide of someone is not lawfully in the US? Given that the state borders Mexico, can anyone seriously doubt that the majority of those stopped will at least look Mexican? I suppose an officer could stop everyone they meet for proof of citizenship. It's a stupid law as written, leaving officers with no way to implement it unless they racially profile.

Well, ok, maybe check any vehicle with Mexican license plates ...

April 29, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robert Free man

Idont have any papers all I have is my military I.D. Does this mean we all have to go get "Free-papers" Where are your papers? All whit people look like candians anyway.

April 29, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. A Dude

The thing I love most about this bill is that it's a politically correct way for racists to identify themselves. Now I know who not to keep on my Facebook.

April 29, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Pro-SB1070

I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged....

April 29, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bruce davis

it sounds to me that officer escobar may be mexican. if he doesnt like the new law he shouls quit and go back to where he came from. this is the best law i have ever seen. its about time and long long overdue. i hope they pass it in all 50 states.

April 29, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • america

It's ignorant racist jerks like you that are ruining this country.

April 29, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • 6th Day

What papers officer, my rolling papers, punk

September 1, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Apple

Dumb rednecks with power and nothing better to do, hahaha

April 29, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. a minority

I don't think most of these people who are screaming "racist" even read the SB 1070. I think they are just people who are going off of what they see on TV. Why is it also that minorities to be treated with racism yet all you hear that comes out of their mouths are racial stuff like nazi, calling the governor a racist, etc. If you read the law, it states you have to have done something wrong for a police officer to approach you & until then will he/she decide to check your immigration status only if for some reason he suspect you're an illegal such as you don't have a drivers license. DUH!!!

April 29, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

You clearly haven't read the bill or don't understand the bill. This is not a secondary offense bill, it makes being illegal a state law violation, this is a primary offense meaning you can be stopped for "reasonable suspicion" of violating the law. What does an illegal immigrant look like?

April 29, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pro-SB1070

SB1070 is NOT racist. Oh yeah, and i'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged, I'm white and privileged....

April 29, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. B in Big D

Oh, but there many race-neutral criteria that might lead an officer to suspect an illegal. No drivers license? No Insurance? Not on the car's title? Auto not registered. Failure to speak English...and language has NOTHING to do with race or skin color. The person could be French, German, etc. Language does not mean you are illegal, but it should be enough for probable cause.

How about this. EVERYONE that gets pulled over has to show proof of citizenship? And every drivers license has citizenship status?

April 29, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MostRadicalManEver

Papers! Show me your Papers!

April 29, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hector

score one for the good guys

April 29, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. thg417

IF ANY OF YOU IDIOTS ACTUALLY READ THE BILL LANGUAGE THE OFFICER HAS TO HAVE A REASONABLE SUSPICION TO ASK SOMEONE FOR THEIR PAPERS AND HAS TO HAVE LAWFULLY STOPPED SOMEONE IN THE FIRST PLACE! GET A CLUE. BEING IN THIS COUNTRY ILLEGALLY IS A CRIME JUST LIKE ANY OTHER CRIME.

April 29, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. f*** you arizona republicans

Any more proof that the Repub-racist party should be defeated in November.

April 29, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ana

This makes me so ashamed to me american. I wish they flipped this on the people that support it, make YOU the minority see if ur still preaching ur stupid "I'm white and privileged"..."bean and tortilla flag" u guys will get ur karma. Asshol*s. I hope mexico puts a law against u guys. Mexico allows u shallow and racist people to go wreck the beaches for spring break I hope mexico flips it on ur assholes.

April 29, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |