April 29th, 2010

Tucson police officer files suit over immigration law

A police officer in Tucson, Arizona, filed a lawsuit against the state's governor Thursday over a controversial new immigration law.

Officer Martin H. Escobar says in the lawsuit that there are no "race-neutral criteria or basis to suspect or identify who is lawfully in the United States."

The law allows police to ask anyone for proof of legal U.S. residency. Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer and others who support the law say it does not involve racial profiling or any other illegal acts.

Read the full CNN.com story

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Politics • U.S.
  1. Dave

This police officer is showing his racial bias in favor of Mexicans, regardless of the law. As as citizen he has the absolute right to question any law, but as a police officer he should show restraint in how he proceeds. In other words, "I will just enforce the laws that I personally believe in!" His lawsuit is thinly veiled.

If I lived in Mexico I would certainly want to come to the US where just about everything is better. With a notoriously corrupt police force, out-of-control crime from drug cartels, poverty, and sub-standard education who could blame anyone for want to come here. Latin Americans are usually hard-working people–and we need their workforce . . . But they should come here legally, and nothing short of that should be accepted.

BUT who pays for all of the services extended to illegals? We can not afford, nor should we pay for services they are not entitled to have. It may be the moral thing to do–extending services, but not on the back of the average American. Just about every other nation in the world would not tolerate such an inflow of illegals.

So, it should not be a question of Nationality, morality, but what can we afford? This law only supports what the President and his administration (and the last one) fail to do.

April 29, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Finch

"it sounds to me that officer escobar may be mexican. if he doesnt like the new law he shouls quit and go back to where he came from. this is the best law i have ever seen. its about time and long long overdue. i hope they pass it in all 50 states.
    Posted by: bruce davis"

Brusce Davis, you're not very American. You should go back to where YOU come from, cos it's more likely if his family is Mexican, in 1898 he suddenly became American with a war than yours being Americans at that time!

April 29, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. wylrose

As an American I'd like to remind everyone that thinks this law is so great. That your ancestors are not from this country and were not invited. They claimed land that was not theirs to claim. Should I say to you "go back where you came from?" "Show me your proof of citzenship?" No, you may have nothing to hide but its is a terrible feeling to prove you belong somewhere.

April 29, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. shawn

You already have to show your license when you get pulled over ... you cannot get a license if your an illegal... its like this in every state.

April 29, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sarah

actually, you don't need to be here legally to get a drivers licence. I am an Australian citizen, and I got a drivers licence while on a tourist visa. I have since become a permanent resident and will be applyig for citizenship later this year. I always carry my greencard. I have no problem showing it.
    also, to those claiming Americans wreck Mexico, try going and living and working in Mexico illegaly. see if their govt extends the same courtesies to you. not a chance.
    if I could go through the process of getting here legally, so can others. they can show their papers just like I do. BTW I have pale white skin and blue eyes. I get asked for papers by border patrol all the time. no profiling there.

April 29, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pro-SB1070

This is NOT a racist law. I wouldn't mind being pulled over because I'm totally legal. If you're legal, then you have nothing to worry about! Gosh, good thing I have white skin, blonde hair and colored eyes! What the heck are these Latinos griping about? They should all just go back to Mexico! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go pick up my welfare check before my KKK meeting starts!

April 29, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. brett

Really will (6.) "If you don't like american leave it" I think you mean the U.S. And not america..

April 29, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ana

Actually in mexico you can work "illegaly" as you stated and yes they would extend courtesies to you, I work every summer in mexico and they happen to be the nicest people out there wether or not I'm working legally or not. They are very humble. and there are plenty of people here illegaly that can't establish citizenship without having to go live in mexico where a lot of times it takes years and in those years outthere you're throwing away everything u built here. And there's a lot that can't establish citizenship because someone might have stolen their passports when they came here LEGALLY and now have no proof that they are here legally. So suck on that.

April 29, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mario

It's funny how having a black president causes all of the stupid racist people out of the woodwork. Hiding behind a so called tea bagger movement. You're just a bunch of douchebags but that's ok, see you guys are just a few and also I'm glad to say that the Hispanic community has become a majority in this country. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL a republican will be president in the near future. The Latino citizens will see to that. The republi-can'ts have just commuted political suicide.

April 29, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. thg417

Anyone that thinks racial profiling doesn't ALREADY happen is DELUSIONAL. You think the cops need a law like this to practice discretionary stops? WAKE UP. The bottom line is this law makes a FEDERAL CRIME a STATE CRIME. As someone else said, if the federal govenment was DOING ITS JOB OF SECURING OUR BORDERS from illegals then AZ wouldn't have to do this. There are immigration laws for a reason. People who drain our resources should CONTRIBUTE BACK into society by paying taxes, etc. Illegal immigrants of ANY COLOR do not do this. Basic economics, people.

April 29, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. C in NM

B in Big D is correct,

Folks–not everyone has a drivers license or a state ID and either one is not PROOF of legal U.S. residency. There is no form of consistent ID in the U.S. that every (and I mean every including children, young teens, and adults) U.S. resident carries that states you have legal U.S. residency. Remember: This bill states ANYONE of ANY AGE can be stopped for any reasonable doubt and asked for proof of legal U.S. residency. Read the article above ("The law allows police to ask anyone for proof of legal U.S. residency.") and the AZ law.

I'm glad that I always carry my U.S. passport with me. Seems like I will need to when traveling through AZ, which I do often from NM to visit family in California and friends and colleagues in AZ, since it is the only proof that I am a legal U.S. resident and citizen.

As someone else asked: Will the government now issue (free) some sort of I.D. and paper to prove our residency that we will need to carry every time we step outside our residences? We do not live in a police state/nation.

Those of you who have posted on this forum bigoted statements of any type, especially those directed at the officer who filed the lawsuit, are absolutely disgusting.

April 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Taiwo Hollist

I remember many years back when a law commonly referred to as the "Sus" law was paased in the United Kingdom which allowed police to stop, search and detain anyone who the police believed was acting in a suspicious manner. The law was repealed sometime later when statistics revealed that a dispropotionate number of blacks and asians (including myself) were being stopped and detained and the vast majority of them were innocent.

I fully appreciate that immigration has to be controlled however it's a sad fact of life that racist police exist and we should therefore try not to make it too easy for them to indulge in the abhorrent pleasure.

April 30, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  13. Taiwo Hollist

I fully appreciate that immigration has to be controlled however it's a sad fact of life that racist police exist and we should therefore try not to make it too easy for them to indulge in their abhorrent pleasure.

April 30, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Dude

Did Arizona look into all the companies profiting from illegal labor before writing this law? What if they went after them instead and made sure they paid a fair wage? Then there would be no reason to hire illegals over legal citizens in the first place & they wouldn't be here.

April 30, 2010 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. america2point0

It's our responsibility to take charge of our government and make the changes while sending Washington a clear message that they can do whats right or start looking for another job in November. Visit http://america2point0.wordpress.com to make your voice heard in Washington!

April 30, 2010 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |