April 30th, 2010

Authorities: Ariz. deputy shot by suspected drug traffickers

[Updated at 11:00 p.m.] A sheriff's deputy in central Arizona was shot Friday afternoon by a suspected drug trafficker, authorities said.

The Pinal County deputy, who was not immediately identified, contacted authorities after being wounded in the desert, saying he had been shot by an illegal immigrant with an AK-47, said Lt. Tammy Villar, a sheriff's spokeswoman.

[Posted at 9:05 p.m.] A sheriff's deputy in central Arizona who was shot Friday afternoon by an alleged illegal immigrant has been found after authorities lost contact with him, according to CNN affiliate KPNX.

The report came from a KPNX reporter on board a chopper at the scene.

[Posted at 8:41 p.m.] A sheriff's deputy in central Arizona was shot Friday afternoon by a member of an alleged group of illegal immigrants, authorities said.

The Pinal County deputy, who was not immediately identified, contacted authorities after being wounded in a remote area, said Lt. Tammy Villar, a sheriff's spokeswoman. She said authorities believe he was shot with a AK-47. The deputy was being treated for the wound, but his condition was not immediately known, Villar said.

Pinal County is located between Phoenix and Tuscon and has been described as a key transit point for illegal immigrants. Sheriff Paul Babeu told CNN that an estimated 80 percent of illegal immigrants eventually pass through his county along the way to other locations.

Deputies in the department routinely patrol for illegal immigrants and smugglers, and it's not uncommon for them to be in the field alone, officials said.

It was not immediately clear what led the deputy to engage with the group on Friday.

- CNN's Casey Wian contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. FedUp!

James #37...

That was just too funny!! ROFL

Pass the popcorn, please.

Ohhhh... did you see THAT one?!?

April 30, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. become a citizen legally

I'm going to say 9 times out of 10 an undocumented worker is not crossing the border strapped with an ak-47. 9 times out of 10. Because field workers can just buy those things anywhere right? With all that cash they have stashed. I pray the deputy is ok, but don't believe the undocumented hype. And whomever says shooting illegal immigrants onsite is a solution is a moron. "Illegal" or no, these people are still human, not sewer rats.
    Posted by: Gimmie a break

__________________________
    they have $500-$2500 a head to pay coyotes to get here im sure they can afford an ak-47 which you can get for less than $300 in the states and assumably less in mexico

April 30, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sssimon

To 154 –
    I agree with what you say except your ratio of 9 out of 10 should be more like 999 out of 1000. Or even less. I can't in fact see any "undocumented worker" or whatever you want to call them owning an AK-47. 1 in a million maybe. This shooting was most likely – 99.9999% commited by a drug runner or a cayote.

April 30, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mrdahan

I really wish CNN would have a segment dedicated to comparing the laws specifically in Mexico regarding Illegal Immigrants ; as well as in Canada. If I crossed the border what would happen in either Country This issue is so important. When you look at Juarez and see that the violence is spreading it took a state Governor initiate a law which is a political black hole to both parties. I Live in Vermont and right across from a farm. There have been Mexican Illegal workers working there for years. I live in a farming community and I also grew up on a farm. It is amazing to see how this aspect of Americana has changed. I will never buy the argument that Illegal Immigrants are doing jobs Americans will not. That is Bovine Scatthology(! Americans have always been the most productive workers in the world.
    I am in Texas now helping my auntie with repairs for the second year. Both times I have worked with Illegal Immigrants who were hired by the contractors to complete the job. They get paid $80 cash for the day no matter how hard they work. We worked from 8:30 -5:00. I have to say not being able to speak Spanish we still can communicate enough to get the job done. I truly respect how hard they worked. They are people first. Well concrete construction for example would never pay that rate for a company which is on the books. Which is the point These Illegal immigrants wages are like the Illegal Drug Trade in America; The money is under ground and not contributing to our economy., Not only are the Illegals replacing American Jobs they are sending the money to Mexico. Why is the U.S.A. putting so much effort to keep out Illegals and it does not seem like Mexico is trying very much to bolster border security in Mexico. Why ,..? because our American Dollar is contributing so much to Mexico's GDP. We need a better partner in the Mexican Government then the current one. I am Nationalistic and care greatly about our country. The damage the Illegal Drug Trade coming from Mexico is causing far too much damage to be ignored. As is the issue of Illegal Immigrants Living as Citizens in the U.S.A. We must get these millions of people on the books and pay taxes and treat our country with respect. However it will take our Government and President Obama to take action. John Boener the Minority Rep for the Republicans as well. Ok Politicians bend over grab your ankles and pull your head into the light, wake up and really do something like the Arizona Governor did but do it on a Federal Level.

April 30, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JP

"If you stop me from eating, I will stop you from shiting." Bad enough you use me and abuse me with hard labor and little pay. I built your house and clean it too. I make sure your lawn is well kept. I keep your factories alive for minimum wage. I clean your plates when you are done eating. Whatelse do you want from me. Stop me from eating, I will stop you from shiting."

April 30, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Zona

"If I was an illegal alien I would be getting quite nervous with all these legal Americans getting all riled up."

They'll just go back to their sanctuary state of Mexifornia.

April 30, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nikki , Texas

"Illegal Aliens"?? Last time I checked they were human beings that breathe air and have blood the flows through their veins. But Michelle you are right we can't afford to lose anymore of us white people right? All of us were able to choose where we were born, the color of our skin, and the social class of our family right? Because we were born on this side of the border we are that much better? Please we are all human beings!! What makes the USA so great is the ability to be whatever you want as long as you are willing to work hard enough to obtain your dream. That is what all the "illegal aliens" are trying to do, better their lives and the lives of their family. If this story is even true this alleged person was not an immigrant but a smuggler; I would bet anything on it. To Michelle and all the other ignorant ethnocentric people on here you make me ashamed to be the same nationality as you. Just think your ancestors came here as immigrants and were thought to be "aliens" at one time too.

April 30, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • JC

1 out of 100

April 30, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mark

tis is all probably because of the racist law, if the Gestapo was not pulling them over to check their papers, he would not have been shot... looks like the new law has taken it's first victim.....

April 30, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. USA1

Nikki in Texas...

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

April 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. EastCoastLibra

ILLEGAL ALIENS FROM MEXICO AND CENTRAL AMERICA CROSS THE ARIZONA DESERT HAVING BEEN BRAZEN WITH GUNS AND OTHER WEAPONRIES TO FEND OFF OTHER ILLEGALS WHO CAN BE A RIVAL, MEXICAN DRUG CARTELS AND HUMAN TRAFFICKERS HAVE BEEN VERY BOLD TO BE CARRYING GUNS AND USING THE ARIZONA DESERT AS THE WAR ZONE! PEOPLE THIS IS NOTHING NEW! THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR YEARS. 20/20, NIGHTLINE AND DATELINE HAVE BEEN REPORTING AND SHOWING THIS VERY PROBLEM SINCE I CAN REMEMBER BACK IN THE 1998! IT IS NOW BEING SHOWN BECAUSE ARIZONA PASSED A TOUGH BILL. Must this have to be just to prove ARizona is overwhelmed with illegals and their criminalities. i HOPE 20/20, DATELINE, NIGHTLINE RE-AIRS THE ILLEGAL ALIENS JUMPING OUR BORDERS.

April 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. become a citizen legally

Welcome to Germany circa 1939. It begins with stirring up hatred for your neighbors, then moves to requiring them to carry their 'paperwork', then it is yellow stars so the police can recognize them, and then begins the round up and mass deportations. And when the country starts going broke deporting the millions, well then you come up with the final solution for your immigration problem... gas chambers.

Seriously, do the mental exercise of planning the deportation of millions, and you will quickly realize how the finances and logistics of the issue fueled the Holocaust and how easily it could happen again.
    Posted by: Six
    ____________________________________________

The Jewish people did not have a country at this time to be told go home to. They were also legal citizens of the countries they were in.

The illegals will not have to wear yellow stars because they will be sent home. Arizona already requires you to have a id on you and so this law only affects those breaking that law and 5-10 others.

April 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kevin

Does it matter if the person doing the shooting is part of a drug cartel or an illegal coming over the border?

Either way, if they are not American citizens, we need better border patrol.

April 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. arnold

our solder fought two world wars to keep our border safe and now our poltican dont want to gard our border .just let drug runner or anybody in with open arms

April 30, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. become a citizen legally

mexico illegal laws are you are caught you spend 7 years in jail, that is far harsher than america paying for your foo, bnoardign and trip home.

April 30, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nikki , Texas

"Illegal Aliens"?? Last time I checked they were human beings that breathe air and have blood that flows through their veins. But Michelle you are right we can't afford to lose anymore of us white people right? All of us were able to choose where we were born, the color of our skin, and the social class of our family right? Because we were born on this side of the border we are that much better? Please we are all human beings!! What makes the USA so great is the ability to be whatever you want as long as you are willing to work hard enough to obtain your dream. That is what all the "illegal aliens" are trying to do, better their lives and the lives of their family. If this story is even true this alleged person was not an immigrant but a smuggler; I would bet anything on it. To Michelle and all the other ignorant ethnocentric people on here you make me ashamed to be the same nationality as you. Just think your ancestors came here as immigrants and were thought to be "aliens" at one time too.

April 30, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |