April 30th, 2010

Authorities: Ariz. deputy shot by suspected drug traffickers

[Updated at 11:00 p.m.] A sheriff's deputy in central Arizona was shot Friday afternoon by a suspected drug trafficker, authorities said.

The Pinal County deputy, who was not immediately identified, contacted authorities after being wounded in the desert, saying he had been shot by an illegal immigrant with an AK-47, said Lt. Tammy Villar, a sheriff's spokeswoman.

[Posted at 9:05 p.m.] A sheriff's deputy in central Arizona who was shot Friday afternoon by an alleged illegal immigrant has been found after authorities lost contact with him, according to CNN affiliate KPNX.

The report came from a KPNX reporter on board a chopper at the scene.

[Posted at 8:41 p.m.] A sheriff's deputy in central Arizona was shot Friday afternoon by a member of an alleged group of illegal immigrants, authorities said.

The Pinal County deputy, who was not immediately identified, contacted authorities after being wounded in a remote area, said Lt. Tammy Villar, a sheriff's spokeswoman. She said authorities believe he was shot with a AK-47. The deputy was being treated for the wound, but his condition was not immediately known, Villar said.

Pinal County is located between Phoenix and Tuscon and has been described as a key transit point for illegal immigrants. Sheriff Paul Babeu told CNN that an estimated 80 percent of illegal immigrants eventually pass through his county along the way to other locations.

Deputies in the department routinely patrol for illegal immigrants and smugglers, and it's not uncommon for them to be in the field alone, officials said.

It was not immediately clear what led the deputy to engage with the group on Friday.

- CNN's Casey Wian contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Real Liberal Homo

I am a real liberal not one of these Obama worshippers. Read the real definition and you all will see these idiots calling themselves liberals are merely losers. I hope the bill passes. I believe in shoot anything that moves along the border. I don't care about being politically correct. Time to take care of our OWN people being US citizens. Clean the illegals out of AZ and I'll move there to fill a job saved from these freeloaders. I am sick and tired of being laid off or passed over for a job because an illegal will work for 60 percent less the average pay for said job. I was working today in North Carolina and my work day was stretched an extra 9 hours because an illegal worker could not read or speak English. And mind you, I do not get paid one cent for those 9 hours! The place had at least 50 illegals working there, and thier other
    locations in TN and MI are the same. Like I have seen in many comments, if they can get in through AZ so can terrorists. Close the
    borders.

April 30, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Shar

Hey # 42, you joke about it but it is a real threat my friend....http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/1469466/Arab-terrorists-are-getting-into-the-US-over-Mexican-border.html

April 30, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Diego

How CNN knows it was an illegal immigrant, Did he showed his Mexican Passport before the shooting? In the middle of this craziness CNN still endorses this kind fake-journalism? How the journalist knew it was an illegal immigrant?

April 30, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mrdahan

#246 & 247 you are correct I am a veteran , I served in Desert Storm and born into Islam. Before I am a Muslim I am an American and what you say has me uneasy because its true. Terrorists are scum no matter what country they come from. If they believe in Islam and are terrorists then they cannot call them selves Muslims. I would serve again if I was drafted I am too old now to re-enlist. God bless America,..and our laws

April 30, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rick Hill

GOD BLESS ARIZONIA

April 30, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. the fonz

I think it was the men in black up to no good again.Damnit!!

April 30, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Shar

Diego #248 .... If you care to educate yourself and read other reports on the shooting it clearly states the officer stopped 7 traffickers of Hispanic descent and was shot. I am sorry you are embarrassed by the fact that people of the same race as you do these kinds of things but that is reality. Trying to deny the validity of this article just goes to show how stupid you are.

April 30, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sally

No respect for this country.. you're bringing weapons in to this country! Tighten up broder control!

April 30, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. EastCoastLibra

AMERICAN CITIZENS AND LEGAL IMMIGRANTS SHOULD START A MASSIVE RALLY AGAINST ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, WASHINGTON, SHALLOW CELEBRITIES AND THEIR IVORY TOWER, ACLU, HUMAN RIGHTS ACTIVISTS AND THE CAUSUS.

April 30, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. your mom

Why does everyone always have to pull the race card?!?!?! Most Americans aren't or I should say weren't raciest. Its the Illegals that are making us this way. Last night on another board people were saying why is it ok for americans to be on welfare and stand on the side of the freeways to beg for money but its not ok for the illegals to do the same. Ok Well they answered there own question because they are illegals. "Illegal, or unlawful, is used to describe something that is prohibited or not authorized by law or, more generally, by rules specific to a particular situation "

So with that being said being illegal is breaking the law so why do we as Americans allow this? You are saying that if I robbed a bank and shot a person that is illegal and be punished for my actions. So why is it any different?
    So why is it In our welfare offices it is not Americans you are finding there. About 90 percent of the people that we are finding in our welfare offices is Hispanics. While the other 10 percent are mixed.
    And most of them do not speak English. An most of them are Illegals. They come in here Illegally, put there Children in our schools that take away from our children that should come first. "American Children not just whites." They take the jobs from Americans. They get on welfare and use up our resources that should be there for Americans when in need. My husband fought for this Country and We couldn't even get help. But They can come in here get new cars, and money from the state.So why is everyone so ignorant when our country is falling apart because of this. You should be a shamed as Americans to think that Its ok for them to come over here and break the law and have the same rights as th e rest of us.

CLOSE OUR BORDERS PROTECT THE US CITIZENS!

April 30, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Gimmie a break

Shar, I don't think I stated my opinion on immigration at all. I believe I was just saying this story is a crock. Which it is. Oh, I also said that picking off people as they cross the border is not a solution. I did say that. Where did you get welfare country from my statements? I'm not going to oversimplify the issue of immigration on a CNN message board, which a lot of people seem to be doing.

April 30, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mrdahan

living in New England I certainly have had an eye opener here in Texas regarding Illegal Immigrant workers. While Getting a building permit at the local City Municipality another person came in and only could speak Spanish and there was a person who helped her with her permit and they spoke in Spanish. I didn't think that they were illegal because they couldn't speak Spanish; I couldn't believe they didn't speak English!. I really can cling to guns and religion because they way things are now, I believe in what I know and what i am comfortable with. I gave my oath to my country as a Veteran and I believe in our Laws and I believe you should know English as a second language at the very least if you are to live and respect what America has to offer.

April 30, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. J. Schwartz

From Arizona,
    I hear all this talk about people wanting to boycott Arizona. So how many people from here have to die before people understand that the people in Arizona are under attack? We did not pass sb1070 for the fun of it we passed it because we are under attack. Soon our state will be like Juarez Mexico with bodies laid out on our streets. People ask the president to please send the National Guard to our border, because when they finish with Calif. Az. Texas they will be in your states...WE NEED HELP..

April 30, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |