April 30th, 2010

Authorities: Ariz. deputy shot by suspected drug traffickers

[Updated at 11:00 p.m.] A sheriff's deputy in central Arizona was shot Friday afternoon by a suspected drug trafficker, authorities said.

The Pinal County deputy, who was not immediately identified, contacted authorities after being wounded in the desert, saying he had been shot by an illegal immigrant with an AK-47, said Lt. Tammy Villar, a sheriff's spokeswoman.

[Posted at 9:05 p.m.] A sheriff's deputy in central Arizona who was shot Friday afternoon by an alleged illegal immigrant has been found after authorities lost contact with him, according to CNN affiliate KPNX.

The report came from a KPNX reporter on board a chopper at the scene.

[Posted at 8:41 p.m.] A sheriff's deputy in central Arizona was shot Friday afternoon by a member of an alleged group of illegal immigrants, authorities said.

The Pinal County deputy, who was not immediately identified, contacted authorities after being wounded in a remote area, said Lt. Tammy Villar, a sheriff's spokeswoman. She said authorities believe he was shot with a AK-47. The deputy was being treated for the wound, but his condition was not immediately known, Villar said.

Pinal County is located between Phoenix and Tuscon and has been described as a key transit point for illegal immigrants. Sheriff Paul Babeu told CNN that an estimated 80 percent of illegal immigrants eventually pass through his county along the way to other locations.

Deputies in the department routinely patrol for illegal immigrants and smugglers, and it's not uncommon for them to be in the field alone, officials said.

It was not immediately clear what led the deputy to engage with the group on Friday.

- CNN's Casey Wian contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. benito

Well did they get the person and that why they know he's illegal or because he's latino. And where was the immagration patrol in all this or did the law go in effect

April 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. california

Sovereignty needs to be upheld ILLEGAL means just that. If someone doesn't know the definition of that word there's no use in debating with them.

April 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. concerned citizen

First of all let me just say my thoughts and prayers are with this deputy and his family, I hope and pray he recovers from this horrific attack with an AK-47?! Of all weapoms!! Wow! How he was able to establish their legal status, type of weapon used and be brave enough to do all this alone is beyond me!! He should receive a medal!!

I pray also that the racist scum of this world realize the error of their ways.

April 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. soiidad

Is anyone listening ? the sad fact is that there will be no outrage as we'll be busy with our everyday chores....

April 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. john palmer

Does anyone know of any rallies or demonstrations in support of the law AZ just passed?
    I live in Colorado, but this is important enough an issue for me to travel. Now is the time to rally around the constitution.

April 30, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Robert

I think the people who do not live in Az. need to shut up and let Az do what it needs to do to protect itself, the federal goverment is not going to so they have to. I am encouraging my state reps. to pass the same type of law. We are not on the boder but do have a lot of illigal's here.

So people if you don't live legally in Az. (that means you were born here or you came here with the proper paper work) shut up and support Az and let them do what they need to do to protect their citizens.

I do think that with all the fuss Ca. has been putting out they should take all the illigals to their state from Az. that would fix the problem

April 30, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Roger

The Federaql Governmet is like an absentee landloard. All they want is the rent (taxes) and don't want to fix the broken toilet (Illegal Aliens). Now the residents (Arizona) have to fix it. The Deputy Sheriff paid the bill on this one.

Heal fast my brother.

April 30, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. russell

and tht is why arizona need the law tht it pass point proven

April 30, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. hate

hate + hate = hate

April 30, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jacques

Most illegal immigrant come to the state for a better life, not to engage in violent act.But there is an old say where I come from " If you stop me from eating, I will stop you from shiting" with that said, most of you don't know what it's like living in a 3rd world country where hope is nothing but a dream. So if you let me in the state, establish myself with my family and you are trying to send me back to hell where ever I came from, it is going to a war. And that my friend is the mentality of most immigrants from the 3rd world countries.It is time for immigration reform, and then thighten up the borders

April 30, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. EastCoastLibra

I hope the other 49 States follow Arizona. Forget about Washington and their cronies, the CITIZENS will do it, just like Governor Brewer. I'M AN IMMIGRANT WHO IS AN AMERICAN CITIZEN AND I WANT THIS BILL IN MY STATE.

April 30, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Allison

Dear 49 other states that are so critical of us. Welcome to our hell. We need protection here, that is all our Gov is trying to get for us. .. get us help. Sleep well Linda Ronstadt. You moved out of here yourself.

April 30, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Shakira

I want to shake the shooter's hand...when he puts the gun down. Bad Arizona!! Shame on you!
    Que es por favor?

April 30, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. PK California

With that new law in place, the illegals will be armed and will shoot first!

April 30, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fred A

God speed to this deputy – I hope he recovers okay.

Now lets not profile this shooter ... he was probably just a man who looked like everyone else and he was just here to do the work that Americans won't do and he is just trying to support his family back home...and BULL @#$% he was.

I am an angry American and I will not tolerate this crap – Go ahead and screw with my State's Law and we Americans are not going to take it...Saddle Up folks, Posse Up, and To Arms To Arms – The Illegals are Coming – The Illegals are Coming.

We are at war!!! Exercise your 2nd Amendment Rights and your Arizona Gun Laws.

April 30, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |