April 30th, 2010

Oil spill may threaten offshore drilling plans

The ever-growing oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico may threaten more than the environment. It will make it significantly harder to open up more coastal areas for oil drilling.

The Gulf oil slick moved within 16 miles of the Mississippi River Delta on Thursday, placing residents from Louisiana to Florida on alert against the possibility of oily beaches, closed harbors and a decimated fishing catch. That makes President Obama's plan to increase offshore oil drilling a much harder sell.

Such drilling is "clearly not clean enough, after what we saw today," Florida's Independent Governor, Charlie Crist - a former drilling proponent - told the Miami Herald Wednesday after flying over the slick. "That's horrific, and it certainly isn't safe enough. It's the opposite of safe."

Lawmakers from Maryland, Virginia, Rhode Island and Delaware have also expressed concern over offshore drilling following the Gulf disaster.

"The tide has shifted as a result of this spill," said Kevin Book, a managing director at the research firm ClearView Energy Partners. "It will be much harder to open up any new areas."

Read the full CNNMoney.com story

1. dennis poorrovecchio, sr.

my dad has a containment oil recovery system please consider him now and or make the oil companies finally listen to him and they agreed his system surpasses and thing they have ever used or seen its amazing! Dont let our only environment down my dad has the answers the oil in the gulf could be lifted right out of the oil BP Boone Pickens could work with us and we could start making the May 01, 2010
    To cooper 360

I am an inventor and product designer. Shortly after the spill of the Exxon Valdez. I designed a complete system for the Containment And Recovery Of Oil Spills No Matter The Magnitude! I design
    and develop of prototypes of mats, nets, mops and booms. My product is a cloth which has a affinity for the aborbsome and containment of fossil fuels no matter the viscosity or type. I perform demonstrations with numerous officials with various organizations. Such as Admiral Donavan and Staff with Naval Sea Systems Command, Also officials with the Coast Guard, and officials at the navy of Bangor Maine, and Bremmerton, Washington. Officials with Aleska. The Environmental Protection Agency and P.I.R.O. Only to name a few in my demonstrations were well received and agreed by all. To be far more affective and superior to the Polypropylene products being used. The effectiveness of my containment recovery system would surpass all other systems being utilized. My products include pads, mop nets, bib nets, booms and barriers, beach protection barriers. And a method for beach cleanup for unprotected contaminated beaches. The system includes a method for cleaning the bird’s and fur bearing animals. My entire system is complete in design! AND READY FOR MANUFACTURING.
    THE MANUFACTURES ARE IN PLACE. My prototype samples are ready for demonstrations at your convenience. Oil recovered with my products and system would be re-refinable using a ringer system from all products being reuse-able. All products have an indefinite shelf life and remain dock ready for the future spills. I have done all I can do in the development and manufacturing of my system including being awarded a U.S. Patent for method and Apparatus. I’m a 63 year old single parent and sole caregiver to my developmentally disabled 31 Year Old Son Anthony. He is Cerebral Palsy severely mentally retarded and Autistic. Whom I cared for alone for the last 23 Years which made investing additional time and money into my inventions very difficult.
    Patent number: 5885451
    Filing date: Oct 31, 1990
    Issue date: Mar 23, 1999
    Containment And Recovery Of Oil Spills No Matter The Magnitude!
    PS. My self and system was shelve. Due to the fact that the clean up company’s would lose money Billions of clean up dollars because my system is more cost effective! And the fact the Oil was recoverable and my product are reuseable.
    Sincerely and Respectfully Submitted, .. And Most Confident To Be Of Service to assist and resolving the catastrophe in the Gulf.
    Dennis Porrovecchio, Sr.
    P.O. Box 212
    Riverside, Tx. 77367
    936-649-2852 primary #. or 281-261-5226 Secondary #.
    April 30, 2010

Mr. President Barack Obama
    CC; United States Environment Protection Agency Washington D.C.
    Furthermore, This is the son of my father Dennis Porrovecchio and I want you to know you could say its like I have traveled with him since I was 15 or 16 years old and now Im 38 years old. We live in South Texas and my grandfather was born in New Orleans Louisiana and I have been with all over to many companies for 20 years and the oil companies and all of the clean up companies and contractors for cleaning up oil spills say my dad idea would work so well it could put them out of business. Well we don’t want to do that we just want a real good system that works and protects the beaches and can clean up the oil recovered with my products and system would be re-refinable using a ringer system from all products being reuse-able. The problem with this new system it would cost millions but, the billions the oil company will lose. And what about the environment. Are we going to let the oil companies tell us what system to use or are we going to try new ways. I say that if we have a system that works then lets use it. Its amazing to say that there is no clean up. And for now the real system is sitting on the shelf in a prototype that need to be demonstrated on national tv and then we can go to BP and tell them to fund for this new system. And or Get the Legistlation to make them consider a system that works no Containment And Recovery Of Oil Spills No Matter The Magnitude!
    Ps my dads system is really the only thing we got because in the end when a panel is formed to see the different systems on the market it seems to go back to my dads system not polypropylene materials.
    The difference is the application my dad is patented for theres nothing like it at all on the market! Since the Exxon Valdez spill we could have already had the system in place sittin on the docks and amazingly enough if you had a oil slick it would be lifted out of the water and any remainants of oil can be picked up by stationary booms and different application to completely remove recyclable oil from the water and the same product cleans the fur bearing animals. Without this system in place it gets worse and worse every day. Joseph Porrovecchio 281-261-5226 1 secsrv@att.net
    We need the support of the media and the EPA and Ect and The President for then to consider my dads Containment Oil Recovery and Recycle System
    Just look at it and try to find a company that know how to take Oil out of the water like my dad does and it rerefinable and reuseable and your can swim in the pool that’s full of water and dump 20 gallons of oil in it I can assure you with prototypes 5 ft wid by 15 ft long and 5 inches thick will clean the swimming pool of water instantly. All of the twent y Gallons of oil heavy or thin crude or any will be back in the barrel. The product wipes the area clean till you never knew there was a spill.

May 1, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kermit Roosevelt

There is an interesting theory that I think should be out there more.

Is it possible that this was the result of Iranian espionage?

Look at the benefits:
    1) Iran's long-time enemy, British Petroleum, the entity behind the overthrow of the only democratically elected government in Iran;s history in the 1950s, suffers a devastating blow.
    2) Resumption of US drilling and our ultimate return to self-reliance regarding energy is a direct threat to Iran's core revenue commodity. This has set it back a decade at least.
    3) Calamitous environmental disaster to US soil.

A trifecta for the Mullahs, and all without slamming planes into buildings or screaming like bearded or burqa'd fanatics. Major damage done to their enemies and they benefit quietly.

Anyone think this is a crazy idea?

May 1, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Finger

Why is CNN not blaming the Obama administration for the oil spill problem like they did Bush for the Katrina problems????? Oh, I forgot Obama he Liberal. What happened to fair and balanced reporting?

May 1, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. max

Instead of OFD, Americans should be cooperating with Canadians to develop vast potentian of oil sands in Canada. It may be a little expensive but it is not dangerous like OFD. Max

May 1, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bill

Its not enough to say that we need to depend on oil and coal for now, so get used to it. We need a major investment and effort on the part of our country in alternative energy now. Its good for our economy, our environment, and our citizens. Go democrats...you were right all along.

May 1, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. nicknatsmom

I'm a conservative, EXCEPT when it comes to the environmnet. This is a disaster. Florida's 1 million jobs directly tied to tourism were already threatened by the recession. OUr fishing industry was suffering high water temps, now this. As a state, we are finished. I'm packing up the kids to bring them Clearwater Beach, to see its sugar white sands before it hits later in the week.

May 2, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. nicknatsmom

GO MAX! you are so right.

May 2, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. Somira dias

Procurem a petrobras ela e especialista em offshor

May 2, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. LindaAlex

It’s looking to be the worst US ecological disaster – Blame should first be with the lobbyists who were able to pay their way to allow the United States to wave the need of shut-off valves for these oil rigs. Some countries, like Brazil, did not bow to oil industry pressures and require stricter safety measures. They used their brain and not their pocketbook. Next, we need to look at the US government officials who allowed these lobbyists to have their way. These government officials should be ousted. How do the Republicans feel now that they wouldn’t act on a clean energy bill unless oil drilling was included? Could this be the reason why the clean energy bill that was to be brought to the floor of the Senate last Monday, 26th April was cancelled? And then Graham blamed it on something else. Amazing! Does it take a disaster of this magnitude to change the corrupt government ways? Time will tell, but I won't hold my breath.

May 2, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Constance Stanson

I TRULY HOPE THIS DOES NOT STOP OUR DRILLING. WE NEED TO START DEPENDING ON OURSELVES FOR OIL. THE OIL WE BUY RIGHT NOW, WE BUY FROM OUR ENEMY. WE ARE ACTUALLY SUPPORTING THS WAR FOR THEM. HAS ANYONE THOUGHT ABOUT IT, MAYBE OUR OWN GOVERNMENT OR TERRORIST BLEW THE OIL RIG UP, SO WE WOULD HAVE TO CONTINUE TO DEPEND ON THE EAST FOR MORE OIL. JUST A SCENARIO I WAS WONDERING ABOUT .

May 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Todd

No Constance. We need to stop relying on oil PERIOD. There are clean renewable energies available right now if people would only get on board. Don't fall for the big oil marketing schemes and their 'concern' for a greener tomorrow. They are only interested in doing enough to make the public think they care. They, quite simply, don't care.

May 3, 2010 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. CBenji

I am a liberal, and I believe in renewable energy, but as of right now we are not ready to totally rely on just that for our energy needs. Unfortunately we have dropped the ball as a country by constantly fighting against that. We should have been working harder on these things clear back in the 70's when OPEC started with the oil embargo's, but we didn't did we. We are like a bunch of sheep. In the meantime we also should have been using things like fail safe valves at every opportunity even though they cost additional money, and we should have not let our oil companies lobby against it as being cost prohibitive. Does anyone realize how much money these companies make, and what a spill like the one that just happened is going to cost, not to mention do to the environment, and cost the people that fish in the area? I look forward to a day when everything can run on solar, wind, or hydrogen energy, but sadly I also do not want to pay $15 a gallon for the little I run my car around these days. I can't afford it.

May 3, 2010 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sarah Paling

Drill baby! DRILL. LMAO

May 3, 2010 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joe

All of the anti-drilling folks need to realize that without drilling, you'd be stuck walking or riding a bike. True, this is a terrible situation, and I hate it, but we still have to drill for oil. You can't honestly tell me that all of ya'll wind your cars up before you drive them.

May 3, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  15. ted

I ran into an article today, that said, Iran offers to help contain us oil spill: The National Iranian Drilling Company (NIDC) has offered to assist the US in efforts to prevent an ecological disaster caused by the spreading oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Although I don't like iranian leadership at all, but i know that iranians are good in dealing with crisis, and during 8 years iran-iraq war they fixed several of the oil platforms in persian gulf that were attacked, and caused oil spill in persian gulf. Their experts fixed them deep under the sea while war was running on the surface. Maybe we can use that experience aside from our political differences with them.

May 3, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |