May 1st, 2010

Heavy rain kills 5, cause massive flooding in Tennessee

[Update 10:26 p.m.] Faced with "one of the most severe rain events" ever seen in Nashville, Tennessee, the city's Office of Emergency Management has opened an emergency shelter at Lipscomb University, and other locations are being prepared as officials expect more severe flooding overnight and tomorrow.

Davidson County residents who have questions or need non-emergency assistance related, including transportation to a shelter, can call a community hotline: 615-862-8574.

[Update 9:42 p.m.] Severe flooding killed at least five people in central Tennessee on Saturday, officials said, as floodwaters inundated roads, highways and homes in and around the Nashville area.

Two people were killed Saturday when floodwaters swept them away as they tried to seek safety on the roof of their SUV about 80 miles northwest of Nashville, Stewart County emergency management spokesman Clint Mathis told CNN. Three more were reported dead in counties near Nashville, a spokesman for Tennessee Emergency Management told CNN.

Between 6 and 10 inches of rain has fallen in 12 hours in the area, causing "extremely dangerous" flooding, the National Weather Service said.

At least 2,000 people were displaced after two levees broke in Millington, a small city near Memphis, Millington Police said. Video from CNN affiliate

WZTV showed more than a dozen vehicles submerged in several feet of swift-moving water on Interstate 24 in Nashville.

Read full story

Post by:
Filed under: Weather
  1. Cleon

Let me clear that up,spell-checkers....Oil Spill....'Nuff said 🙂

May 2, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jim in Nashville

At least 11 deaths, hundreds of millions in damage and thousands dispaced, yet this story is still no on CNN's radar. I don't get it.

May 3, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jim in Nashville

At least 11 deaths, hundreds of millions in damage and thousands displaced, yet this story is still no on CNN's radar. I don't get it.

May 3, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. Melissa In TN

Come on now. Creak, Creek!! U all know what they are talking about. Being in these floods i am very offended of the making fun on here! How about u ignore the misspelled words and just be blessed that everyone is ok.....Yes, CNN may have reported it late, but im sure everyone was well aware due to their local news stations. So please, pray for the families that have lost loved ones and their homes or belongings and be thankful it didnt do any more damage than it did. Out of all of tn that was flooded, many lives were saved from hard working authorities, volunteers, and rescue squads. My thanks go out to everyone who got out in this mess and risked their own lives trying to help others. Thank the Lord above everything is turning out ok in the end of this event!!!!!!!!!!

May 3, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. Dave C.

If this was not such a tragedy for those living in the area who have lost so much, the irony would be humorous.

Next week I was to attend a national Trainning Summit at the Gaylord for various disaster response organizations including FEMA, Health and Human Srvcs, Disaster Medical Aassistance Teams and Medical Reserve Corps. If this had happened a week later the area would have had a huge amount of personnel on site to assist the local response!

My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by the storm and resultant flooding. God Bless!

May 3, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. goodytowshoes

I live in tennessee and in Davidson county we are completly flooded out there are now 8 deaths sadly.I give all my prayers go out to them.

May 3, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dott B.

Could someone help me please. We are traveling through Tennessee in the next couple of days via Highway 65. Has Highway 65 been closed because of the flooding? I am sure others would appreciate this information also. Thank you so much.
    Our prayers are with you during this time of tragedy.

May 3, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. elaine h.

some parts of it are but because the water changes the roads that are closed change randomly

May 4, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jaime

I'm leaving at 3:30am tomorrow to visit my son in Springfield. I do travel on I-24 and TN-65N Are there any problems still on these roads. Thanks for any information you can give me. I'm traveling alone with my 4 year old Grandson.

May 5, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. susanne merrick

My son has to make a trip to Kentucky from Alabama tomorrow morning.....could someone please tell me if I-24 around Nashville is now open....thanks.

May 6, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jon

Where is the media coverage? Where is FEMA? Where is the President? Well since it isn't poor black people effected and only rich wihite folk, it doesn't make for good news and debate. Where is the fund raisers and benefit concerts? We can raise money for NOLA and HAITI but not for well off respectable people in Nashville? What since there isn't anyone looting or destroying the city it doesn't need news attention or relief right?

May 7, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |