May 1st, 2010

NYC's Times Square shut down over suspicious car

Several blocks around New York's Times Square were closed to pedestrian and vehicular traffic Saturday night after a police officer saw smoke emanating from a box inside a parked car, according to authorities.

New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne told CNN that the shutdown began after a foot patrol officer passed by a Nissan Pathfinder with Connecticut plates on 45th Street between and 7th and 8th Avenues. Browne said the officer noticed a box inside the car with smoke coming out.

Browne said officials at the scene were using a robot to search inside the car. The police department's public information office said the box and other items found in the search are not confirmed at this time to be a bomb.

The Marriott Marquee Hotel wasn't allowing anyone to enter or leave the hotel Saturday night, and at least one nearby restaurant, TGI Friday's, had closed to customers and was evacuating staff.

Post by:
Filed under: Times Square Car Bomb • U.S.
  1. PissedOffNY'er

I guess CNN doesn't think this is news... I mean really? This is all your reporters were able to gather? So if its not 9/11 type terrorism then it doesn't matter.... is that what it is CNN? Do buildings have to come down for you guys to cover the story? Terrorism is Terrorism whether its a failed attempt or not... You guys really dropped the ball on this one.... I'm very dissapointed.

May 2, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. Paulie

Here check out what was going on there today........http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad dot com/atlas_shrugs/2010/05/proillegal-immigration-rally-nyc.html

you need to replace the word dot with a dot obviously

May 2, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff

Anderson Cooper is to Busy doing 360's

May 2, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. pdxDavid

I cannot believe you made me turn to fox to see this story. That is the first time I have watched anything on fox news since they brought karl rove on. Then they bring in sarah palin and I was done forever, or so I thought. I see it listed on here, not even as a lead story, so I turn the tv on to see what is happening. Instead of seeing this story I am watching 25 years of owl speak. You 24hr a day'd it when Anna Nicole died but a car bomb in TIme Square not newsy enough. Not good cnn not good at all.

May 2, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. Aaron

July, there is a possible terror attack on NYC and you are worried about my grammer?

May 2, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. BadgerBay

Hey, we are not a bunch of young teenagers, A car bomb has the potential to kills hundreds of people. I'm glad it has not exploded, and I wish comments would reflect a society of adults who are compassionate, moral, and mature,

May 2, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  7. TheBlueWireOrTheRedOne

If there had been 2 more wires, packing peanuts, and a cell phone duct taped to it, it would have been "considered" a terrorist threat.

May 2, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. Melykin

I guess all the CNN reporters are at the dinner with the president and not paying any attention to this. MSNBC is scooping all the other networks. CNN doesn't even have this as a headline on their website. WTF?

May 2, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jeff

Serouisly, the only time there is real news is weekdays, then it's only what we are supposed to believe is news, it's not news if they don't report it....... CNN failed tonight

May 2, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. ryan

How is it that CNN covered the death of Michael Jackson 24/7 for a month, and this isn't even being discussed on TV? How embarrassing...

May 2, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. JK

Dear CNN TV,

Wake up....why are you broadcasting a Bill Clinton impersonator when there is "Breaking News"? Everyone at the White House reporters dinner? Do you not have an anchor? MSNBC brought in Peter Alexander who is looking sharp in his tux.

May 2, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  12. Andi

Jesus people – calm down. There are suspected bombs everyday in the U.S.

And learn how to correctly spell you're and too Robert Cohen and Jeff.

May 2, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. Aaron

I agree Badger. I hope July doesn't notice that capital A that follows your comma. Ok, ok, enough of that. Really though, what's the deal with the CNN. If I wanted to watch a comedy act, I'd turn to a comedy channel. I thought this was "the most trusted name in news." What's up?

May 2, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. july

aaron yes.. I think proper grammer is always appropriate. I did forget that I am on cnn.com though where I should not expect much.

May 2, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  15. YaBoy

Come on, CNN.

Ron Burgandy woulda been on air hours ago with the most compelling and rich coverage known to man!

"This is bush... bush league"

May 2, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |