May 3rd, 2010

Obama extends sanctions against Syria

President Barack Obama has decided to extend sanctions on Syria, sending a letter to Congress Monday saying the yrians' continued support for terrorist organizations posed "a continuing unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy and economy of the United States."

The president said Syria had "made some progress in suppressing foreign fighter networks infiltrating suicide bombers into Iraq," but its "actions and policies" regarding terror networks made it necessary to keep the sanctions in place.

The economic sanctions, first enacted in 2003, bar exports to Syria and ban Syrian commercial aircraft from landing in the United States. "As we have communicated to the Syrian government directly, Syrian actions will determine whether this national emergency is renewed or terminated in the future," Obama's letter said.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Ohan

Regardless of our differences in opinion, I think we can all agree that we want peace in the middle east as well as here in the US. I also admire how everyone has some knowledge on this topic and we are able to share openly.

May 4, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike

Most of the foreign fighters in Iraq come from Syria, and it is somewhat likely that Syria is at least turning a blind eye toward these fighters. Syria is also a large contributor to Hezbollah, which has been designated as a terrorist organization by the United States.

May 5, 2010 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Badass American

Israel does not dictate our foriegn policy, we do that on our own. Like has been stated, America, like all other countries, does what it does because it's in it's, our, MINE, best interest. Yes, people hate us – thats fine as we really can't hear your complaints over the roar of our B-52's cruising at 50,000 feet.

On a personal note, I really don't care about what happens in the Middle East anymore, I am tired of hearing about it to be honest. I prefer watching that wacko Kim over on VBS, but that's an aside.

If we don't want Syrian airliners landing on our soil, who the hell are you to tell us otherwise? And if you don't like it, what are you going to do about it? Nothing – because you can't do anything about it.

Sucks, doesn't it?

May 5, 2010 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. PeteH

Ohan – What is truly insulting is how you think we are all ignorant about what Syria is up to. Their track record is simple and easy to read. They condone terrorism on foreign soil, they support terror networks that work with Iran, they export weapons and equipment to terror groups like Islamic Jihad, Hezbollah and they do nothing to stop these radical groups from attacking US and allie interests. You like to use the "ISRAEL" card as if this will bring some credence to your empty lies but the fact is Syria and Assad are just as much a threat to the US as a threat to Israel.

May 5, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. Wants Peace

I am an American that just came back from Syria... and you know.... the citizens are just like you and me. They are trying to make a living, going to work, trying to provide for their family and having picnics in the park. The sanctions are punishing the mass of people who just want to live a life and be able to provide for their family..... what about them?

Are there bad people there... YES.... are there bad people here in the USA... YES!!! They are everywhere......

It is sad that we have become so involved in every other country and not concentrated on our own. Maybe if we stop trying to flex our "power" all over this world perceptions of America and Americans would be different.

Maybe we should try using friendship first instead of always being a bully..... it all starts with an extended hand.... We need to back off and let others take over.... we can't always be the peace keepers and if you notice it always seems to backfire at us!!!!!

And to be honest, the Middle East needs to work out its own problems... that is the only way that it will ever be solved.

May 5, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ohan

I enjoy drawing cartoons of mohammey even though I'm not supposed to....then I smear them with olive oil and stick them down the back of my pants for some bad air treatment

May 5, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mihjazi

Who the hell do u think u are?

May 5, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. levend

Reality, US can't even manage its own border so how can it expect Syria to.
    There are far worse countries out there but because they have oil the US will never do anything like this to them.

I honestly doubt Syria even gives a rats what the US does its in relation to sanctions. The US needs to improve its image before people start taking the US seriously. Its lost its way.

May 5, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ohan

I'm a not sure who left that previous post with my name on it, but is the quintessence of ignorance. I mean really? Cartoons? Grow Up! As for PeteH, I don't know what imaginary voice in your head told you that I think everyone is ignorant on what "Syria is up to." Please do not put words in my mouth. Also, if you are going to make accusations on Syria supplying weapons to terrorist organizations, at least have some decent proof. As I statedin an earlier post, Israel is not innocent in the US sanctioning of Syria. DO YOUR RESEARCH, then come to me and at least make an attempt to speak with facts. By the way, you spelled Hezbolah wrong Pete:-)

May 5, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ohan

Also PeteH, the fact that you let a sixteen year old out think and out manuver you is pretty funny. This just goes to show you that my generation is much more educated and informed on foreign relations. If you don't believe that I'm 16, check me out Twitter.com/ohans2. Oh and Pete, have a nice night

May 5, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mohammad Jaber

You guys do realize that many many many more civilians total were killed due to Iraq war, then all the killed supposed Islamic terrorists and their victims combined?

Wouldn't that qualify America for an award?

May 6, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. William.D

@Ohan Ohan, I am very impressed with your use of language and how your skills in being politically correct. Based on what I have seen, there are not many teenagers that are well informed and interested in these types of topics as well as you are. I can see you becoming somthing very important in the future, perhaps a diplomat for the Arab world. I wish you luck and as a retired attorney form the Cochran Firm based in Los Angeles, you truly have what it takes to be a lawyer! Embrace it

May 6, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ohan

@William.D Thank you Mr. William, it funny you mentioned that you're an Attorney because I am planning on majoring in Pre-law in College.

May 6, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  14. Dr Hope

Ohan, why is it always about Israel...Syria supports terrorism or Jihad on the US. So, with israel are only trusted ally, don't think we will ever see eye to eye. So, lets get it on between US and all muslim arabs and persians.
    You arabs use the Palestinains as a chess piece but you care little for them...

May 6, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Ohan

@ Dr. Hope, I never said this was all about Israel, but I have a question to your statement. Why is it that the Arabs are always the target of sharp critsism? You act like the Israeli people are the victims, in reality, it's the other way around. Also Dr. Hope, I am not Arab. I have no idea why you wrote "You Arabs,". I am Native American. When you stereotype people based on their opinions on a public forum, it makes you look highly unprofessional

May 6, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  15. Dr Hope

For those who hate jews:
    Like your bible? Thanks a jew.
    Like your movies? Thanks a jew.
    Like modern medicine? Thnk a jew.
    Like modern psychology? Thank a jew.
    Like physics(E=Mcsquared)? Thank a jew. Persians and arabs want the bomb, thank a jew.
    How many Nobel prizes go to jews? Look it up...and thank a jew.
    From a non-jew, thanks for all you have given mankind.

What have muslims given lately? Terror, women and religious abuse. Thanks Muslims.:(

May 6, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Ohan

If you truly believe Arabs and Islam has provided absoulutely nothing to benefit the world, I will pray for you and I suggest you immediatly seek professional help. Despite what you believe Arabs are very peaceful and hospitable people. Dr. Hope, I hope your concepts of everyone being anti-semitic will clear up. Get well soon:)

May 6, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |