May 5th, 2010

Minnesota man charged with stabbing 29 pigs

A drunk man stabbed 29 pigs in Minnesota, hurting them so badly they had to be slaughtered, according to charges filed against the man by police.

Curtis Adams, 23, said he did not remember stabbing the pigs, but did not deny having done it, Detective Matt Owens said in court papers.

A veterinarian said the best option was to "euthanize" the pigs, which were worth $7,824.67, according to police testimony.

Another police officer, Deputy Clint Cole, found Adams at a hog barn in Martin County, Minnesota, in the early hours of April 27, Owens said. Cole was responding to a suspicious person complaint.

"Adams' knuckles were skinned up and he had blood on them and smelled very strong like pigs and had pig manure on him," the police statement says.

Suspecting Adams was drunk, Cole had Adams stand on one leg and perform other tests to check sobriety. When he failed, Cole gave him a breathalyzer, which suggested Adams was over the legal limit.

He arrested Cole, later releasing him to a sober driver, police say.

Later that morning, workers at the Wiechman Pig Company, which owns the barn, discovered that a number of pigs had been cut.

Owens, the detective, went to the barn, where he met Adams, who was coming to retrieve his pickup truck from the scene.

Adams "had dried blood on his shirt, pants and shoes," Owens noticed.

Workers at the barn found a knife in the grass while the detective and Adams were there, he said.

Adams said the knife was his, according to the police officer.

"Adams did not deny being in the hog barn or stabbing the pigs, but he would only say that he could not remember," Owens said.

When he showed Adams photos of the injured pigs, "Adams stated that he must have done it, but he does not remember doing it," Owens stated.

Adams has been charged with six counts, including cruelty to animals, damage to property, burglary and driving under the influence of alcohol. The two most serious charges, burglary and damage to property, each carry potential penalties of five years in prison or $10,000 fine, or both.

It was not clear from Minnesota court records if a trial date has been set.

Post by:
Filed under: Justice • U.S.
  1. davec

SAM, and while your at it I recommend another of Huxley's books, 1984. This is the most important one to read.

May 5, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chad

must have heard bacon is a wonderful hangover remedy

May 5, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Charles

1984 is a great book. I wanted to read it again, but I can't find my copy – I think someone burned it.

May 5, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. davec

anon you sick and very twisted individual. You imagine yourself to be more – much more – than the pleasure seeking animal that you are.

May 5, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. davec

SAM, Charles' 7:52 PM post is another reference to Animal Farm.

May 5, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SAM

ANON...."any relevant morality requires a standard, or else there would only be each person's individual ideas against each other person's ideas."

What proof do you have that this is NOT the case?

"To the man in this news article, it was good in his mind at the time to stab the pigs."

I don't remember reading that part. As far as we know... he was crying like a baby the whole time. I doubt he thought he was performing a good deed.

"Charles Manson considered it good at the time that so many should die they way he caused them to."

There is a huge difference in doing something.... and doing something because you think you are doing the right thing.

"Tell me, Tom, if there is no God, what is good?"

Many of the same things you probably view as good now. Tell me ANON... How do yo know that you have chosen the right god? If I told you I decided to believe in god... would you be happy for me? How about the Muslim god? Still happy?

May 5, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. davec

I mean 1984

May 5, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mmm bacon

Oh no he killed some pigs that were going to get killed anyway. Mmmm bacon.

May 5, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. davec

There is no magic man who lives in the sky and reads our minds 24/7. There is no being who gives an infinite hell for finite sins. There is no god. Once you realize this you can being to live a true life and not a life of fantasy.

May 5, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. anon

Davec,

Please explain how it is sick and twisted to hold one's self to a higher standard than just seeking pleasure,

Also, I am curious, if we are only pleasure seeking animals, what would be the point of reading (or writing, for that matter) political commentary? I, too, think that people aught to read 1984 and Animal Farm to help gain a perspective on ideas at work in our world, but why would that matter if seeking pleasure were all that was important?

May 5, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. davec

SAM I like what you say.

May 5, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. davec

anon, I'm being a troll today. I do agree with much of what you say.

May 5, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Charles

SAM, it is interesting you mention Charles Manson – in several of the Manson murders, they wrote "Pig", "Death to Pigs" and "political piggy" on the walls in the victims blood. Coincidence?

May 5, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. davec

I am Sam. I do not like green eggs and ham...

May 5, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. davec

..I'd rather eat a hunk of Spam than nibble on a slice of ham.

May 5, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |