May 5th, 2010

Minnesota man charged with stabbing 29 pigs

A drunk man stabbed 29 pigs in Minnesota, hurting them so badly they had to be slaughtered, according to charges filed against the man by police.

Curtis Adams, 23, said he did not remember stabbing the pigs, but did not deny having done it, Detective Matt Owens said in court papers.

A veterinarian said the best option was to "euthanize" the pigs, which were worth $7,824.67, according to police testimony.

Another police officer, Deputy Clint Cole, found Adams at a hog barn in Martin County, Minnesota, in the early hours of April 27, Owens said. Cole was responding to a suspicious person complaint.

"Adams' knuckles were skinned up and he had blood on them and smelled very strong like pigs and had pig manure on him," the police statement says.

Suspecting Adams was drunk, Cole had Adams stand on one leg and perform other tests to check sobriety. When he failed, Cole gave him a breathalyzer, which suggested Adams was over the legal limit.

He arrested Cole, later releasing him to a sober driver, police say.

Later that morning, workers at the Wiechman Pig Company, which owns the barn, discovered that a number of pigs had been cut.

Owens, the detective, went to the barn, where he met Adams, who was coming to retrieve his pickup truck from the scene.

Adams "had dried blood on his shirt, pants and shoes," Owens noticed.

Workers at the barn found a knife in the grass while the detective and Adams were there, he said.

Adams said the knife was his, according to the police officer.

"Adams did not deny being in the hog barn or stabbing the pigs, but he would only say that he could not remember," Owens said.

When he showed Adams photos of the injured pigs, "Adams stated that he must have done it, but he does not remember doing it," Owens stated.

Adams has been charged with six counts, including cruelty to animals, damage to property, burglary and driving under the influence of alcohol. The two most serious charges, burglary and damage to property, each carry potential penalties of five years in prison or $10,000 fine, or both.

It was not clear from Minnesota court records if a trial date has been set.

Post by:
Filed under: Justice • U.S.
  1. Sean

Oh not that!!

You people eat bacon, so shut up. A stabbing is the least thing that pig is headed for.

It's smarter than your little dog, BTW. You know that.

Yawn, hypocrites.

You vegans!!! (NOT)

I like how they immediatelyt put the $$$ on those pigs,really early in the article. That was a wink at you, reader. It was an embedded joke.

May 5, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Charles

Isn't it, "I am Sam, Sam I am, I do not like green eggs and ham:" ?

May 5, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. TamarS

one has to wonder what else he has done in black outs of alcoholism. we know animal abuse is a prelude to human abuse. investigators should dig deep into this man's history.

May 5, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. devil's minion

Did these pigs die a worse death than a slaughter house death. During a slaughter house death the pigs are quite aware of their impending death. They have time to be afraid.

Do we justify slaughter because of the end product, which is food for humans? But this is using pigs and an end to a means rather than an end in and of itself. In the case of the stabbing of 29 pigs the pigs were a means to an end, that means being the fleeting pleasure of the stabber.

Do we justify the slaughter and consumption of pigs over this stabbing because the pleasure afforded by the consumption of their [tender and tasty] flesh is greater than the pleasure of the stabber (who is now unable to recall that night)?

May 5, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Charles

You know, I can relate. I mean, who hasn't had a great night out, and after too much to drink woke up in bed next to a pig?

May 5, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. devil's minion

next to a suckling pig

May 5, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Charles

This one's got a real purty mouth.

Come on boy, get on up out of that boat and squeal like a pig!

May 5, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. devil's minion

A harlot to be exact. A suckling harlot.

May 5, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Charles

Hmmm. They'll do it every time. They tempt us with their womanly ways...and with hot dogs. Pigs.

May 5, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. devil's minion

sqeeeeee!!!

May 5, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TOM

ANON..."Also, if there is no God, why would it be sad that people only pretend to be good? Wouldn't only their actions matter, and not their reasons? As long as they act good, why would you care what their motivations were?"

I prefer genuine people. I guess I could help out in a soup kitchen sometime..... but only so I look good in front of my girlfriend. Or maybe I should be extremely nice and generous to my girlfriend.... in hopes of getting into her pants. Noble stuff. It's really more about christians acting and thinking they are such good people. When really they are just scared of the consequences. I do nice things b/c I think it's the right think to do. I don't trust people who are only nice because they are being forced. YOu are right..... much of this stuff is very abstract and hard to figure out.... but i'm not claiming I have all the answers as you and your brothers are. Once you accept god as the answer to everything..you already given up on looking in the real world for real answers to real questions. We might as well be arguing about Lord Of The Rings Which is why this will be a never ending cycle.

May 5, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Charles

Do you really need to work in a soup kitchen to get into your girlfriend's pants though? Maybe just offer her some bacon. Works every time.

May 5, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. I LOVE BACON!!

My sister raises pigs. We meet them before we eat them! Raised by children with love. Taste yummy, never stabbed. Dude is a freak.

May 5, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SAM

Good idea CHarles. I may have misinterpreted your comment and lumped it in with others comments.....I apolig....nah ....this is the internet.

May 5, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Charles

Does this guy realize how much random, totally useless (and sometimes quite funny) things are being written while he is in a jail cell? They should read some of these comments in the court room.

May 5, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |