May 6th, 2010

Football star Lawrence Taylor charged with rape

Lawrence Taylor was arrested as part of a rape investigation.

[Updated at 6:46 p.m.] Read the full CNN.com story

[Updated at 3:46 p.m.] Hall of Fame football star Lawrence Taylor was charged with third-degree rape Thursday in a case involving a 16-year-old girl, police said.

[Posted at 10:40 a.m.] Hall of Fame football linebacker Lawrence Taylor was arrested Thursday in connection with a rape investigation involving a 16-year-old girl, police in Ramapo, New York, said.

Christopher St. Lawrence, the Ramapo, New York, town supervisor and police commissioner, said Taylor, 51, was expected to be charged with third degree rape, which carries a possible penalty of four years in jail.

According to St. Lawrence, Taylor was arrested at the Holiday Inn in Ramapo, about 30 miles northwest of New York City, on Thursday after Ramapo police received a call from New York City police detectives acting on information from the alleged victim's uncle.

The girl, a runaway from New York's Bronx borough since March, was allegedly brought to Ramapo by a pimp, St. Lawrence said.

When the pimp and the girl returned to New York City, she texted an uncle who notified police, St. Lawrence said. New York City police arrested the pimp and called Ramapo, and Taylor was then arrested, he said.

CNN's attempt to contact Taylor's agent was not immediately successful.

Taylor was a 10-time all-pro linebacker for the New York Giants from 1981 to 1993 after earning All American honors at the University of North Carolina.

A punishing tackler and pass rusher known by his initials "L.T.," he was on two Super Bowl champion teams and was inducted into the National Football League's Hall of Fame, which noted that he "redefined the way the outside linebacker position was played."

However, Taylor was twice suspended by the NFL for substance abuse and battled a cocaine addiction long after retirement, resulting in several arrests and a downward spiral that he chronicled in a 2003 autobiography.

After kicking drugs, he worked as a sports commentator and appeared as a contestant on ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" in 2009. Taylor and his dance partner on the program, Evyta Swilinska, finished seventh in the competition. - CNN's Ross Levitt contributed to this story The-CNN-Wire/Atlanta/+1-404-827-5872

Post by:
Filed under: Sports
  1. douglas

National Felony League,,,,,,,,,,here we go

May 6, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lisa

Wonder if this is another "Duke" case.

May 6, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. Margie

Is it only African-Americans who are guilty until proven innocent. Just doesn't seem right, does it? I've seen posts in defense of terrorists, but you crucify a Black man before allegations are even investigated.

You make me sick to my stomach.

May 6, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. candy23

This is a shame how everybody thinks the worst. I thinkl every football player you guys think is a rapist. I am a female and I know how they act around somebody important.

May 6, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. J.R.

NO WAY!!

L.T. is not that kind of person!

Ain't no way!

May 6, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. jay

I agree... they should make sure it happened before slamming his name and face in the mud,,,and in all the News So,So Sad. Not Right!

May 6, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. Stacey

Gloria Allred is going to be one busy lady. I sure hope he didn't do this.

May 6, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. I love Sandra

I bet the gold digger is exaggerating the situation to make a few bucks at LT's expense!

May 6, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. pwrwagn

Donna (post #69)
    I agree 100%. He has not been convicted – and is innocent until proven guilty. LT just happens to be an individual who has been surrounded by "issues" so its a little easier to draw conclusions. Famous athletes are sometimes targets so it is important to hold judgement. To say he is being arrested or questioned because he is black is stupid however IMO.

May 6, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  10. Roy M.

It seems like most superstar athletes, when they retire,get in trouble for one reason or another.L.T. is no exception.

May 6, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ms. RC

Why do these guys keep putting themselves in these positions? They will never learn.

May 6, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. cb

Has anybody else heard the girl was 15? We dont really know all the details but he would have a better chance of beating it if he was white and in georgia...im white by the way.

May 6, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. Davo

he'll be called BLT in prison... as in Busted. and/or Broke. seriously though, judging from the photo at the top of this thread , the man looks very guilty.

May 6, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. Danny

Im a white male and initially I felt bad for everyone in this case. The woman and her family and even LT if this is true until I just read that she may be 15 years old. IF this is true, LT should be punished to the max. Let us see how this case unfolds before judgement, but it appears that it doesnt look good for LT. And you can take race out of this because I felt the same way about Mark Chmura(White Green Bay Tight End) who was accused of the same a few years ago.

May 6, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. rayman

Eric

I took Don's comments as a joke; making light of the subject and not as a racist comment. I really don't think he was even trying to achieve seriousness. But I must say, that after your comments, makes me wonder who the real racist is here.

I think and believe that everyone here truly believes that he should be judged on the merits of the evidence. One has to remember that a lot of these people here are just joking it up.

May 6, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |