May 7th, 2010

Latino rights group, others call for Arizona boycott

A Latino rights group and other immigrant and labor organizations have called for a national boycott of Arizona over the state's new immigration law, which allows police to ask anyone being investigated for a crime for proof of legal U.S. residency.

The call was led by the National Council of La Raza, which bills itself as the largest Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States. Other groups joining the call include the Asian American Justice Center, the Center for Community Change, the League of United Latin American Citizens, the National Puerto Rican Coalition, the Service Employees International Union, the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, and the United Food and Commercial Workers union.

The groups pledged not to hold major conventions, conferences or other special events involving significant travel to Arizona from out of state and "asked others to consider whether their purchases of goods and services might perpetuate the unjust and discriminatory law in Arizona," La Raza said on its website.

"When a law so contrary to our values is passed, we must act decisively," said La Raza President and CEO Janet Murguia. "We are calling for a boycott because this law will blow open the door to increased racial profiling, wrongful arrests and other discrimination."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, who signed the immigration measure April 23, says it does not involve racial profiling or any other illegal acts. The law, known as SB 1070, is scheduled to go into effect this summer.

The measure as originally signed into law said police could ask anyone at any time for proof of legal residency. The legislature passed new wording last week stipulating that police could ask for residency status only if that person was being investigated for another crime. Brewer signed the new language into law.

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration • Louisiana • U.S.
  1. Lisa T

First let me state that I have no problem with anyone who takes the necessary steps to legally migrate to the best country in the world, the United States of America. I understand why people would want to come here and if you do so legally and are a productive member of society, you are very welcome. This law is not intended to affect anyone who is LEGALLY in the United States. Somehow everyone discussing immigration in Washington have forgotten the meaning of ILLEGAL. If you are an ILLEGAL immigrant, then you are subject to deportation. I believe that EVERYONE arrested should be required to provide proof of residency. If you are arrested and are in this country illegally, you should expect to be extradited or deported to your home country as soon as you break our laws, if not discovered before. I don't relish the idea of spending tens of thousands of dollars each year to house illegal immigrants in our prison system. Our prisons are overcrowded and who knows how many of the inmates are illegals. I would love to see all inmates who are illegally in this country departed immediately. How much money could we save and use to secure our borders?

May 18, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jr

Hang in there AZ...it's the right thing to do!

May 18, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jack Noble

This is a much bigger issue than any of you what to address. The comments are all short sighted; some border on childish, some a very rude, some are cruel and some to be honest are very discouraging because they expressed with so much self-centerist it borders on bigotery.

May 18, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TammyB

I agree with bill, however, I wish everyone who stereotyping Mexicans in general would stop. You cannot put one group of people in the same "box"....there are good and back people everywhere. However, along with the good coming across the border, the really bad do too. I believe this bill will be able to uncover some of those people but all in all, it's just to make people follow the law as we all have to.

May 18, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. TammyB

Sorry people for the really horrible spelling in my prior post.....my keyboard was actiing up! I should have said I agree with "the" bill and that there are good and "bad" people!

May 18, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. truck bomb

What the citizens of the United States should do is boycott business that hire illegal aliens.

May 19, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. Tiffanie

This bill may seem to target hispanics, but in Arizona, it is just a fact that the majority of immigrants are from Mexico. If this were New York, where many different ethnicities enter through, this would be a non issue.

The main issue is the LAW.. IF YOU ENTER THE USA WITH OUT PROPER PAPERS YOU HAVE BROKE THE LAW! period! end of story.. If you break the law, you go back.. why is this so bad? How many people pay thousands of dollars to lawyers and file papers to be allowed to come to the US? Why is it fair that just because they can sneek in under teh fence that they be allowed to stay?

That is like saying someone breaks into my house, and i have to let him stay because his skin is a certain color and if I dont its discrimination! HELLO!! He broke inot my house and broke the law.. so he has to go.. ITS THE SAME THING!

May 20, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Upperhand

Stupid analogy but I think you got your point across...thing is this issue is not just about the LAW, to you Caucasians that may be so but to people of color its about race and racism.

What part of high potential for abuse, discrimination, racism, profiling and ignorance do you not understand?

May 21, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

This is in response to Upperhand....ANY law can be abused by those with power. Does that mean that we all should just stop following any laws because they may be used to discriminate, or racially profile a group of people. NO! We continue to strive not to do that, by taking those that abuse their power to court. If we were a country WITHOUT laws, would anyone want to be here? Doubt it. I understand the concerns. But WE HAVE LAWS FOR A REASON. People who are here illegally (no matter from where...I don't care) are here ILLEGALLY. They broke the law. That's it. They need to live with the consequences of their actions and not try to wriggle out of it. If I break the law, I suffer the consequences. End of story.

May 25, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Josh

Someone should read the Arizona law on live TV. La Raza is insitgating choas on peoples emotions due to ingorance of not knowing what the bill actually states. And I find CNN just as fault by not clarifying the core tenants of the laws that will protect law abiding citizens. Another sign our country is going down the drain.

May 20, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. hv obiedo

I can not believe we are still having a discussion about illegals I lived in england working for an aircraft co. and every time I moved i had to go to the police station to prove I was working legally and verify my address. I am proud to be an citizen of the USA I see nothing wrong in showing my passport. What is wrong are the half wits who know its illegal to be in any country without permission; RAZA are a collection of halfwitted mexicans.

May 24, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nicki

When I first heard of the law passed in Arizona and began reading the comments posted here I was filled with outrage like many Hispanics; however, the more I read and the more I think about it....I agree with the state of Arizona. I am Hispanic, I have Mexican and Spanish blood running through my veins and I'm very proud of my heritage. My parents and grandparents were all born in the US. No one in my family came to the US illegally, not even my great grandparents. When I was younger I would have been one of the first to yell and scream about the law passed in Arizona; however, after really giving it all some thought and thinking back on the years that I have spent working in the social service field I totally support Arizona. Over the years I have seen endless numbers of illegals take advantage of our system....obtaining Medicare illegally, getting free medication, free healthcare, free education and mean while the rest of us struggle to make ends meet and pay our own medical bills while illegals get a free pass. I am all for those immigrants that come to our country and take the proper steps to remain here. If you want to live in this country and you want to have access to the benefits then everyone (whether you're from Mexico, the Middle East, India...etc) needs to go through the proper channels. When I was younger I lived in the Middle East with my family and we were expected to abide by their laws etc. I've traveled around the world and have always had to show ID and proof of citizenship. Why should it be any different here in the US?? As long as you have the proper ID then you won't have a problem.
    The one issue that I do have is that this needs to stop being a MEXICAN thing because while Mexicans are in the spotlight, there are a lot more illegals out there that are NOT from Mexico. Those illegals need be dealt with just as much as those from Mexico. Everyday I deal with illegals from Central America, South America, Africa, Vietnam and even European countries. Asking for identification when stopped by the police is common practice and if you are here illegally, I don't care what country you are from, you are breaking the law and should pay the consequences.

June 8, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. Don

Why not issue every person in the USA a national ID card and require them to carry it at all times. Every person the police stop should be required to show the card. Legal visitors could show their passports. That certainly cannot be racial profiling, since it applies to every person in the USA legally. If someone does not have the card, it will be because they are here illegally and should be deported . Mexico has very tough immigration laws, yet they protest when we try to protect our borders.

June 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |