May 7th, 2010

Latino rights group, others call for Arizona boycott

A Latino rights group and other immigrant and labor organizations have called for a national boycott of Arizona over the state's new immigration law, which allows police to ask anyone being investigated for a crime for proof of legal U.S. residency.

The call was led by the National Council of La Raza, which bills itself as the largest Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States. Other groups joining the call include the Asian American Justice Center, the Center for Community Change, the League of United Latin American Citizens, the National Puerto Rican Coalition, the Service Employees International Union, the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, and the United Food and Commercial Workers union.

The groups pledged not to hold major conventions, conferences or other special events involving significant travel to Arizona from out of state and "asked others to consider whether their purchases of goods and services might perpetuate the unjust and discriminatory law in Arizona," La Raza said on its website.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, who signed the immigration measure April 23, says it does not involve racial profiling or any other illegal acts. The law, known as SB 1070, is scheduled to go into effect this summer.

The measure as originally signed into law said police could ask anyone at any time for proof of legal residency. The legislature passed new wording last week stipulating that police could ask for residency status only if that person was being investigated for another crime. Brewer signed the new language into law.

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration • Louisiana • U.S.
  1. HernandeUSA

"The call was led by the National Council of La Raza, which bills itself as the largest Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States"

They are the national group of "THE RACE" and brown version of the Aryan nation and just another HATE group any other name.

""When a law so contrary to our values is passed, we must act decisively," said La Raza President and CEO Janet Murguia. "We are calling for a boycott because this law will blow open the door to increased racial profiling, wrongful arrests and other discrimination.""

- What a load of nonsense.....the AZ is mirror image of the current FEDERAL LAW that is already on the books.

This hate group just does'nt want any enforcement of the law, even though vast majority of American Citizens DO including Latinos and Hispanics!

May 7, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

La Raza (The Race) is a hate group? The NAACP and other race-empowering groups (though not all of their members) are also against this law. Are they hate groups also?

Thanks for speaking for me HernandeUSA- as I am Hispanic. Can we have an intelligent conversation and not speak for ALL people of any group, even if we are a member of said group?

May 20, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mac Smith

I say SUPPORT Arizona 100 % if the Feds wont help the State will do the job ! ! ! Wish other states had the balls to stand up too.

September 4, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bunny

I'm somewhat surprised that so many people are willing to turn a blind eye towards the fact they call themselves "THE Race." Here's the thing, you can't go to Canada and stay illegally. You can't go to most European nations either. Not even the South/Central American countries look kindly towards illegal immigrants (Mexico included.) Why is it that the US is expected to take everybody in without papers? These immigrants should go someplace they're welcome, and do so legally.

September 5, 2010 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. ScottD

The National Council of La Raza are worse than the NAZIS. If you want Latin American style anarchy and instability combined with fascism, you can count on them to bring it....along with a New American poverty. That's what happens when there is an invasion from a failed narco-country when the US Federal Government fails to tack action.

May 7, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dkinaz80@yahoo.com

So what's the difference now then before? It is basically telling law enforcement to check legal status of an immigrant. I say just make it law that all persons being investigated or convicted of a crime be asked legal status should be passed. Let's take the discrimination and racial profiling possibilities out of it.

So maybe they should change it to all people will be required to give proof of their immigration status when being investigated for a crime.

But if that doesn't satisfy the protesters, why not state that every person convicted of a crime will be asked to give proof of immigration status and if it's found they are illegal will be deported to another country, not necessarily their home country.

I'm against racial profiling. I don't think it should be done, but it will be done. Let's face it, most illegals in Arizona are going to be more likely from Mexico than states that border Canada. Illegals from California will be a mix of asian, lantios and other such places.

It is not racial profiling if it is done to everyone. Don't make it an option, make it part of their process. Make it part of the process of convicted offenders.
    Or if they still want it to be those investigated, make it for those investigated for violent crimes.

But there should be a catch. If the illegal is found innocent of the crime, then they should get a pass like fishing. You don't keep every fish you catch, only the ones worth keeping.

May 7, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. David

May 7, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • dlivv

The state can hold them legally until they can be turned over to ICE. ICE takes days to pcik them up so therefore the police have to keep releasing the criminals because they don't have the man power to hold them for several days.

May 18, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jerry berkhouse

Hurray for Arizona. It is about time someone stood up for their rights. To hell with the illegal aliens . Come on what does the word illegal mean. They bring drugs ,kill Americans,cost us millions in healthcare and bring more violence than we need or in some instances take away jobs that our out of work citizens need. Wake up America the more illegals that are running loose the less rights the rest of us will have. I am not racist, i believe if they are here and are American citizens ,that"s fine. Also i am a firm believer that if they want to be in this Country They should learn English,not our kids learning spanish .

May 7, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Applaud Jerry

I didnt vote for change and therefore I am not going to change my life for immigration. This is America, we are Americans, and we are letting others dictate us because "we" feel badly for them. You come pay my bills, keep my businesses going and take care of my family cause I was here from birth and I am An American.

The only thing I ever heard about latinos is gang related. Id be like Wyatt Earp, if you were a red sash im coming for ya and hells coming with me.... I would eliminate the gangs. They would hide from Americans.

We can keep Jennifer Lopez!

May 17, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. AreYOuhighOrWhat

La Raza is inherently racist with some radical views about property ownership in the south west, thereby is not a credible voice. In fact, now that I think about it, Sharpton, Jackson, Shakira, Barkley, and all the other d-lister's, celebrity wannabes, and "would be philosophers" jumping on the Harper Valley PTA Bandwagon to shake their hypocritic ethno-centric finger at the citizens of Arizona have yet to provide a credible informed opinion on the issue. Yet they're sure willing to voice their outrage and spread they're fear mongering.....sooooooooo cute! Unfortunately the unwritten story behind all of this is that guns and ammo are flying off the shelves in Arizona. Apparently the LEGAL CITIZENS of Arizona aren't feeling too safe right now. Gee, I wonder what's started scaring them so much in the last few weeks?

Somebody holla back when somebody credible speaks up, until then I'd rather hear from the citizens of Arizona, not the agitators.

Gay Urban Hipster In Seattle Permanently Boycotting Anyone Speaking Out Against Arizona

May 7, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Leon

We are being invaded. A foreign country is sending people across OUR border and the are responsible for crimes ranging from immigration, tax evasion, drug trafficking, and murder. Had this been any other country all out war would have been declared...but what do we do? Offer "free" healthcare, "free" education, and freedom from accountability while Washington has their thumbs stuck up their a$$.

What I want to know is why are there border agents checking MY passport when I travel to Mexico for business??? I am bringing THEM employment there at least! They should welcome me if anything! Crock.

May 7, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. AGuest9

A hate group composed of thugs that deal drugs and hates Caucasians... How about getting them out of OUR country! Additionally, our companies need to stop doing business down there. Bring the companies home, and SEAL the border. BUILD THE WALL! Bring home the troops from Iraq and Afghanistan and have them PROTECT THE HOMELAND! (Like so many of the dead originally signed up to do!)

May 7, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Wendy

I will visit the painted desert...and the grand canyon....I will do it all while visiting AZ. I will not boycott a US State for enforcing its laws.

Where is the ourtrage towards the Mexican community for the suspension of 4 boys for wearing shirts with the US flag on them? Why were they suspended....because it was 5 May...Cinco de Mayo....that is NOT a US Holiday.

Where is the outrage for the violation of their civil rights?

Where is the outrage towards the mass of students at that school that today, walked out most carrying or wearing Mexican Flags....in a US School.....I thought they dreamed of Citizenship?

They do not care about being US Citizens, they just want the perks.....here is a solution...take what you have learned from the US, go back to your home country, fix your problems, then you will not need to protest that we are making you feel unwelcome....because clearly you do not care about America....just what you can get for free.

May 7, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tuna74

We don't need a fence".
    We at this very moment have Thousands of military men who have completed their tour of duty coming back from over sea's,With no job prospect in their future.Most of them are National guard troops,
    I say let's give them a job,Put them on the border & pay them a fair wage.
    That's what the national guard mean's.

As far as the illegals getting a free pass ,It will not happen.
    Because we just fought tooth & nail for 1-1/2 year's for health reform on who & how were they
    Going to pay for the additional 33 million American's that had NO health insurance.Now you think they will add An additional 20 million illegals to the same policy,
    I think NOT".

May 7, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tuna74

All of this hash of having to show your ID.,of how its racial profiling.Is bull.

All American's know one question & know it well.
    American's don't say I'm being profiled at the time because i am white ,black or something else.
    because they are not special people".They abide by the law's of this nation.

The Question is: License And Registration Please.

I often wonder why illegal's don't do the same complaining in your own country to create change there.

May 7, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tuna74

I'm 76 years old.
    born of an Anglo American father from texas & a mother born on the Island of Puerto Rico.
    They met in New York.in the 1920's. both born American's
    The point being that I come from a Hispanic back ground as well.
    I speak Spanish & several other languages, But English is my native tongue.
    I learned to speak them all here in the USA.
    The blood lines of a Puerto Rican are Spanish Conquistador ,African slave & Taino indian of PR.
    How I see it.
    If you want us American's to be your understanding friend.
    Then learn to respect our country.don't try to change our language to Spanish because you are too lazy to learn English.A lot of other Immigrants that came legally before you did Of their own choice.They came to be Americans.We welcome them ,They are our Brothers & sisters.
    you are in the USA, your Mexican flag doe's not Fly & wave over ours on a flag pole.
    You also don't wave my flag upside down when you get angry like little children.
    When you are in the USA,illegal or visitor,
    You ask in this country, you don't demand.you want to demand go back to where you came from & demand there.
    congressman Luis Gutierrez of Ill also of Puerto rican back ground. He may want you here at any cost.
    He wants your vote.
    I want to see Immigrants, The like of those That came legally before me.
    That were proud to be Americans First
    I voted for obama,I won't again.

May 7, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

Finally, some honesty. I totally agree...I am Canadian and I too am sick of immigrants and their complaining and demanding ways. Who goes to another country and tries to change laws to their own barbaric laws. I am talking about Sharia law...the truly dangerous immigrants are from terrorist nations. I am truly sickend by the race card being played as a distraction for breaking the law. In my country there are homeless people, lots of them, none of them are immigrants. We do not have Hispanic immigration problems, our immigrants are Middle Eastern and Asian and Canada's murder rate has risen dramatically. All immigration should be stopped and for the sake of the whole world...DO NOT ALLOW THE MOSQUE AT GROUND ZERO.

May 26, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. john kenyon - Buffalo NY

Shame on the media for covering the minority views with such extreme weight. Though there are snippets of opinions, when the public hears them over and over again, it sends a message that there is some big injustice. The truth be told.. Arizona wants to enforce a federal law that our government chooses not to adhere to. I personally feel that the honest law abiding citizens are in favor of this... and if we reported the statistics, you would see that they are in fact a huge majority. The state is currently over run with illegal aliens that have come over the border for 30 years. They are the ones afraid of this new law! On another quick view, why wont Arizona consider giving them all amnesty within 30 days after the law takes place. Lets force them to learn the english language and be responsible tax payers like all the rest. Wouldnt this make everyone happy?

May 7, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Oobin

I'm a nearly sixty-year-old of Norwegian descent. My ancestors came through Ellis Island. If I'm ever in Arizona you can check my I.D. any time or anywhere and I will be proud to prove my citizenship.

May 7, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • ray

One big difference, you are pale! So they would not stop you.

May 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jose

and the LORD said."YOU SHALL KNOW THE CHARCTER AND HART OF MEN BY THE WORDS THEY SPEW OUT OFF THIER MOUTH".

May 7, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |