May 7th, 2010

Latino rights group, others call for Arizona boycott

A Latino rights group and other immigrant and labor organizations have called for a national boycott of Arizona over the state's new immigration law, which allows police to ask anyone being investigated for a crime for proof of legal U.S. residency.

The call was led by the National Council of La Raza, which bills itself as the largest Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States. Other groups joining the call include the Asian American Justice Center, the Center for Community Change, the League of United Latin American Citizens, the National Puerto Rican Coalition, the Service Employees International Union, the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, and the United Food and Commercial Workers union.

The groups pledged not to hold major conventions, conferences or other special events involving significant travel to Arizona from out of state and "asked others to consider whether their purchases of goods and services might perpetuate the unjust and discriminatory law in Arizona," La Raza said on its website.

"When a law so contrary to our values is passed, we must act decisively," said La Raza President and CEO Janet Murguia. "We are calling for a boycott because this law will blow open the door to increased racial profiling, wrongful arrests and other discrimination."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, who signed the immigration measure April 23, says it does not involve racial profiling or any other illegal acts. The law, known as SB 1070, is scheduled to go into effect this summer.

The measure as originally signed into law said police could ask anyone at any time for proof of legal residency. The legislature passed new wording last week stipulating that police could ask for residency status only if that person was being investigated for another crime. Brewer signed the new language into law.

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration • Louisiana • U.S.
  1. Elizabeth

I voted for Obama...I am from Massachusetts...I am liberal....and I LOVE what Arizona has done!!!! Good for them!!!!

May 9, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. tuna74

Lets have a poll"

How many of us voted for obama like me.(If he lets this slide,I'll be an independent come November.)
    How many support Arizona's new law Like me.
    How many are tired of the Illegals excuses.
    How many think the dictionary changed the definition of the word Illegal to a new meaning called Racist.
    If America is my home & they climbed in through my basement window without my permission .
    What part of they are criminals do they not understand.

I live in the East coast . Everyone back here is fed up with this Crap.
    What part of if you are legal we welcome you.
    Don't they understand.
    We have no Sympathy.
    We all went through hell ,But we did it Legally.

May 9, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Teresa

This bill is flat out racists no matter how much you try to reword it or fix it up make it look pretty ....
    There's more than Mexicans in the United States illegally....... They should just hirer more security jobs on the border WOW wouldn't that stimulate the economy at the same time there's safety in numbers ......... The United States was built on the back of immigrants everyone deserves a free
    chance you can't judge some one till you walked a mile in their shoes .....

May 9, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sheesh

The bill isn't profiling anyone, its allowing Police officers to enforce the laws of this country.

The reason people who didn't follow proper proceedures to enter this country are called illegal immigrants is because they are criminals. Where are people getting lost with that simple fact?

If a person here on a work visa cant renew the visa, they are required by law to leave the country, and are deported if they refuse.

A political refugee who is not approved to stay in the country is usually sent back to their country to face whatever fate awaits them.

What makes this brand of crime (Illegal Immigrants) better than any other? How can you say that someone who pays organized crime to labor illegally in a foreign country deserves better treatment than someone who has come here legally, and has to return to their country because of a denied form? Or how can you justify sending someone back to a long prison sentence or possible execution because they dont qualify as a political refugee, and not someone who came illegally for no other reason than make money to send home?

If these people want to be here permanently, send them to war for our country, let them earn the right to be here. If a police officer asks for my license and I dont produce I.D., I go to jail. If these people cant produce I.D., send them to jail and if they cant produce proper proof of citizenship...send them home.

If they want to be here, they could spend the money that would go to the criminals to seek a green card.

If you support organized crime, stand behind these criminals. If not, make them come here legally.

Illegal means criminal.

May 10, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. Carl

I'm amazed at how many people on the right, especially those that would consider themselves Libertarian (like the teabaggers) support this law. There is nothing in that bill that would prevent police from deciding a person might be an illegal immigrant and therefore must prove residency status or get arrested. If you were born in the US you don't have papers to carry around proving you are a citizen and therefore would get thrown in jail as a suspected illegal. If you've never traveled outside the country chances are you don't even have a passport. So the one and only way you can prove your citizenship is with a birth certificate. I have mine somewhere buried in a box of paperwork somewhere, but not anywhere I could easily produce.

If you trust the police to never misuse or abuse their power under this law you are far more trusting than me. I know that most police are good people doing their job, but there are plenty of corrupt ones out there. This law makes it far too easy for citizens and residents to be harassed by bad cops with little recourse. Even if you are white and have no accent a cop could accuse you of being a Canadian here illegally.

May 10, 2010 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ian

The greatest right is; of course, to live in Freedom as an American, yet there are many Natural Rights within that scope really granted by a government won through the service of the Revolutionary-Era soldier and kept in place by others service around the world.

The Locke concept might be balanced by the Moral Relavatism and Kantian theories, but it's value is unprecedented in that the very real outcome is people's initial understanding that they can balance the rights of an individual against the backdrop of representative government and questionable standpoints of other vested interests. This understanding can be both attributed to what is logical and constantly requires our input on an ongoing basis; as well.

May 10, 2010 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. tuna74

for Carl
    If you or i went to Mexico like these Illegals.do here. This is the Mexican law..
    They only want Professionals,Doctors,Lawyers,Teachers,ETC,ETC.
    Or people of substance to bank there.

To be a Foreign immigrant in Mexico you must have Enough assets to last you over 5 years.
    So that you don't take a job away from a Mexican national.
    You cannot own property, you must have a Mexican partner that owns 51%
    You cannot own a business,you must have a Mexican partner that owns 51%
    You must have your immigration paper with you at all times..(NOTE)
    You must have your immigration paper with you at all times..

Immigrants who entered the United States at Ellis Island From all over the world. were not permitted to remain in the country if they had a contagious disease such as smallpox, yellow fever or the measles. If they were deemed likely to end up needing to receive welfare or otherwise seemed unable to provide for themselves, they would be refused admission. Finally, if they were assessed as likely to become an illegal contract laborer, they would be refused entry. People who seemed to be "alien radicals" were interned..(put in jail)
    This still apply's

May 10, 2010 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. henry

I think the AZ law is great and I'm hispanic. But I am anl American born hispanic and sick of illegals entering out country. Send em back.

May 10, 2010 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. JR Martinez

I would just like to say that I am Mexican and I fully support these laws. Guess what? I carry my ID everywhere I go. It's not that hard. We are losing American jobs and benefits, crime is rising, and the only thing people care about is people feelings. Grow up, life is hard, we can't take care of everybody. My family has been living in AZ for four generations and not one of them is complaining about these new laws. They worked hard to be American Citizens and are proud of it. They have served in the Army and Air Force for every conflict we have had since WWII. If they do get pulled over for a ticket, or something legal happens they have ID's so they don't give a damn about this bill.

May 10, 2010 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. Heather

I love it. La Raza lecturing us on racism? An organizations whose name means "the race" in spanish?

Could you just imagine if there was a group of white people, in an organization called "the race"?

Why someone would call that racist! But La Raza is invited to the whitehouse!

May 10, 2010 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. Heather

Because the Arizona law would apply to hispanics more then whites makes the law racist?

If there is an amnesty bill, won't it apply more to hispanics then to any other group? So of course amnesty would be racist and we would not do it.

Right?

May 10, 2010 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  12. Scott

If you are here illegally, you have no rights. What are you missing?

May 10, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Patti

Why not charge a fee to enter US borders? That should help to keep out indigents who have no means to support themselves.

May 10, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. just_me

Levitus 19:33-34 When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

May 11, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |