May 8th, 2010

Officials: Gunmen kill 1, kidnap 4 at Mexico wedding

Gunmen stormed into a church in the middle of a wedding ceremony in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, on Friday, kidnapping the groom and three others, and killing one before fleeing, state prosecutors told CNN Saturday.

"It's unclear if this was gang or drug related," Chihuahua State Attorney
General's Office spokesman Carlos Gonzalez said, adding the incident is still
under investigation.

The shooting victim, described as a male in his early 20s, was shot in the back in the church parking lot, Gonzalez said.

Local reports say he was fleeing from the scene when he was shot. The groom, his uncle, brother and best man were kidnapped.

Ciudad Juarez is the most violent city in Mexico, with more than 2,600 drug-related deaths in 2009.

At least 870 people have been killed in Juarez this year, according to local reports.

A report released in April by the Mexican government said Chihuahua state is the country's hardest-hit state by drug violence, with 6,757 people killed since the start of the drug war at the end of 2006.

Post by:
Filed under: Drug violence • Mexico
  1. Pot smoking bleeding heart moran

Ohhh. I get it. You were trying to make the point that ALL drugs should be made illegal regardless of there purpose either medical of recreational. I see. nevermind.

May 9, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. 789Boof

Two words: Carpet bomb

May 9, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. steve505

"I do not ever want to hear, a druggie say he is only hurting him or her self... YOUR addiction is killing people..."

Sorry but I have to disagree. Blaming the users is foolish. Man has been using substances since his earliest beginnings on this planet and while some people may not care for them, drug use is largely part of the human journey. Its something universal, across all cultures, and going back thousands of years. For any government to think they'll just step in, make some policies, name a Czar, and start a "war" on drugs is not in touch with reality.

United States government policy is whats killing people. America's craving for drugs has only increased over the years, and our government is keeping a thriving black market alive all over the world, especially in Mexico. Drugs have long been and ALWAYS WILL BE a human commodity, and the War on Drugs has done nothing but create gigantic criminal empires who just LOVE selling us boatloads of tax-free, unregulated goods at astronomical profits.

Its been said many times but the Fed will not listen: STOP spending billions fighting this illusionary war. Legalize drugs as an individual choice, regulate them, and simultaneously cripple the criminal markets. START spending those billions you've saved from stopping the war, plus the billions you're earning on drug tax, on education and treatment programs and addiction research. Help the users, destroy the crippled cartels, and watch the crime rates plummet over time in numerous countries.

To have an efficient, effective drug policy the government must ook at the drug problem for what it really is: a medical issue, physically and psychologically. NOT a criminal issue.

May 9, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pot smoking bleeding heart moran

Why waste the money on all of those smaller bombs when we can just use a couple bigger bombs that in the end will make it much easier to see who is coming due to the bright florescent green glow from their bodies at night after crossing the wasteland.

May 9, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. 789Boof

It IS a criminal issue

May 9, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. 789Boof

Because I love to vacation in Mexico

May 9, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. DirtyBob

I only get my stuff grown domestically in CA or in my backyard in CA. The only blood on my hands is my own when I'm too clumsy with the trimmers.

May 9, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pot smoking bleeding heart moran

Sorry but I have to disagree. Blaming the killer is foolish. Man has been murdering since his earliest beginnings on this planet and while some people may not care for them, Murder is largely part of the human journey. Its something universal, across all cultures, and going back thousands of years. For any government to think they'll just step in, make some policies, name a Czar, and start a "war" on murder is not in touch with reality.

United States government policy is whats killing people. America's craving for death has only increased over the years, and our government is keeping a thriving black market alive all over the world, especially in Mexico. Murder have long been and ALWAYS WILL BE a human commodity, and the War on Murder has done nothing but create gigantic criminal empires who just LOVE selling us boatloads of tax-free, unregulated death at astronomical profits.

Its been said many times but the Fed will not listen: STOP spending billions fighting this illusionary war. Legalize muder as an individual choice, regulate it, and simultaneously cripple the criminal markets. START spending those billions you've saved from stopping the war, plus the billions you're earning on murder tax, on education and treatment programs and anti-murder research. Help the killers, destroy the crippled cartels, and watch the murder rates plummet over time in numerous countries.

To have an efficient, effective muder policy the government must look at the muder problem for what it really is: a personal issue, physically and psychologically. NOT a criminal issue.

SEE, I CAN DO THAT TOO. YEAH!!!

May 9, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. steve505

One more thing I'd like to mention: The idea of the goverment regulating and taxing drugs while at the same time increasing drug abuse treatment and research sounds counter-productive and insane. But, it would create conditions for an equilibrium within society. As drug use rises, so will the amount of tax dollars available for treatment and research. As treatments become more successful and attainable, drug use decreases. Tax dollars for treatment decrease but so has drug use. If drug use rises again, we take the money and go back to work again providing treatment. And on and on.

Currently, as drug use rises, we waste more and more tax dollars, make criminals extremely wealthy, and do NOTHING to help the consumers that are fueling all of this to begin with.

May 9, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Pot smoking bleeding heart moran

...Or maybe an extra crackpipe? I have heartburn too.

May 9, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. 789Boof

You mean "murder"?

May 9, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. vortex1964

To the fool who equates immigration with Mexican drug runners, I say, " be real". The people coming over are not all drug runners. The majority are honest people looking to better themselves. If you look at history and immigration you find just about everyone on this continent is an immigrant. North America belonged to the Native American people until it was wrestled from their hands through war.

You must be a American Native, if not hold your comment and keep it to yourself.

I am Hispanic, my father crossed the Rio Grand. I served my country in the Persian Gulf. I fought because this is my country, my home. The law in Arizona is unjust and bigoted. It discriminates and shames those of Hispanic descent. Why is there no law against British nationals, Canadian Nationals, French Nationals? Why because they blend in to your perfect Utopian idea of the world.

Get real.

May 9, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Pot smoking bleeding heart moran

What did I say 'muder' ? Oh crap, a type 'o. I have disqualified myself from any further intellectual contributions to this conversation. My previously unblemished record of perfection is at and end. I whole heartedly appolgize to all of those I have offended and will wage a formal complaint against the public school system for failing to make me the most productive member of society that I could have been. I appreciate that this has been brought to my attention.

May 9, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. steve505

The fact that you can't spell "moron", and the irony, makes your words = sh|t.

May 9, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Pot smoking bleeding heart moran

I think post #227 says it best vortex. For 98.5% percent of us it's NOT about race it's about a basic respect for American laws by foriegn nationals seeking to immigrate to this country.

May 9, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |