May 9th, 2010

Kagan to be Supreme Court nominee, CNN confirms

[Update 11:06 p.m. ET] President Obama will select Solicitor General Elena Kagan as the Supreme Court nominee to replace the retiring John Paul Stevens, a legal source close to the process told CNN Sunday evening.

The nomination is expected to be announced Monday at 11 a.m. ET, another source familiar with the process said.

Kagan, 50, a New York native, was widely reported to be the frontrunner for the nomination. She was a finalist for the high court vacancy last year when Justice Sonia Sotomayor was selected to replace the retiring David Souter.

Kagan would be the third woman on the nine-justice bench if confirmed.

Read more about Kagan

[Posted 10:19 p.m. ET] NBC News is reporting President Obama will select Solicitor General Elena Kagan as the Supreme Court nominee to replace the retiring John Paul Stevens.

CNN is working to confirm the report.

Kagan is a former Harvard Law School dean and has never served as judge. As solicitor general, she is the Obama administration's top lawyer before the Supreme Court and has argued several high-profile cases before the justices since taking the job in spring 2009.

Kagan was a law clerk for Justice Thurgood Marshall and served as associate White House counsel in President Clinton's administration.

- CNN's John King and Bill Mears contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Elena Kagan • Supreme Court
  1. joe r

I'd do her hehehehehehehehehhehehehehe

May 10, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rob

I like how the white man appoints a young white conservative as Chief Justice and all the other genders/races are appointed to lesser roles.

May 10, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. dogdude

Dellmer, I'm older than Kagen, I have a better job (and income) than you every will, and I am Mormon. I do not drink or do drugs. But I don't take things too seriously all the time. Lighten up, pup.

May 10, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Glen

I hope she loses some weight. It will be difficult for her to be impartial if she has to rule on a case involving Wal-Mart.

May 10, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. pierce

Hawaii Barry must be a joy to live with . . . . .

Issues!

May 10, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. HawaiiBarry

Obama doesn't choose people...just gimmicks

May 10, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. Bobb

I am gonna say this whether people get offended or not....I do not want a fat American to be a supreme justice member. This person can not be depended on to make rational decisions, just look at the decision she has made for herself. Sorry to those offended, the truth hurts.

May 10, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  8. Help

Come on 2012 we need to vote in anouther president before it it is just to late to save the USA

May 10, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  9. DadFatT

YES NICE!!! KAGAN DESERVES THIS HONOR AND WILL DO WELL. Sorry I'm shouting.

May 10, 2010 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. american

Is it just me, or should they position of supreme court judge be filled by a judge.Seems like if you are making the biggest decisions in the land, experience in making court decisions would be valuable. Obama as usual has no discernment in who he associates with and who he holds in esteem. Can't wait to see all the skeletons come out of the closet in this one. Obama is ruining the country and all who voted for him sure got change. The first time in history our country turned socialist and now has the breakdown of the judicial system starting. I fear the days of America as super power are almost over.

May 10, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. JMB

Yes..It's true she is not much to look at, but that's not why she should be confirmed for The Court. Sarah Palin sure is hot looking, but I'd sooner trust the opinion of a trained lab rat(or a tea bag for that matter). Kagan is a refreshing choice. Chalk one up for intelligence, and not the shallow, watered down tea bag sound bite nonsense.

May 10, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. HawaiiBarry

God Help Us if Iran ever tries to go to war. With this guy running things....it will be a landslide victory for Tehran

May 10, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. themo

The people who rag about Obama, make unspeakable nasty remarks about Ms.Kagan
    should be taken out into the deep wilderness & left! You make me sick....I betcha the
    ones saying she's "butt ugly" looks like Nathan Hale etc.etc.etc. have you looked into
    the mirror lately? Are you so perfect you can make these kinds of disparaging
    remarks? Shame, shame, shame on you! Say a good act of contrition & 10 rosaries!
    Congratulations to Pres.Obama's nomination.....now lets wait for the party of "No" to
    rip her to shreds!

May 10, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  14. libtex1

I would like to place a bet for those posting negative comments. How stupid of gay communitywith all the drugs and alcohol.

May 10, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. Greg

Gay, white, male, etc. Who cares? Qualified is all that matters. She does seem to provide more balance for women on the court and she may or may not be a lesbian (since apparently she hasnt come out of the closet).

May 10, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |