May 10th, 2010

Lena Horne dead at 92

Singer, dancer and actress Lena Horne died at New York-Presbyterian Hospital on Sunday night, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Horne was 92.

She was one of the first African-Americans to sign a long-term movie contract with a major Hollywood studio when she joined MGM in 1942.

"I think the black boy that cleaned the shoes and me were the only two black people except the maids who were there working for the stars," Horne said in a CNN interview. "And it was very lonely,  and I wasn't very happy."

Still, Horne said she was grateful that her World War II-era films - including "Cabin in the Sky" and "Stormy Weather" - were seen by black and white soldiers.

"But after I realized I would only go so far, I went on the stage," Horne said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz • U.S.
  1. Kelly

Your contributions to actresses and actors everywhere will never be forgotten especially black actresses and actors. My kids and I just watched 'The Wiz' on Saturday night. We were admiring your beauty and grace. Men all of the world loved you and women wanted to be you but there will only be one Lena Horne. Godspeed Dear, your work on earth is done!!!

May 10, 2010 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rika

Thank you Ms. Horne for your courageous contribution to the world! You are forever loved. What a wonderful role model for us all!

May 10, 2010 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  3. SSDWCC

Dill Weed : Please explain further why you will not miss her. You may not have known her personally however what she represents as a fellow human being is what counts. You too will be missed by some when it is your time to transcend from this realm into another.

May 10, 2010 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. sunsohot

Stormy Weather....always one of my favorites. RIP Miss Horne. You will never be forgotten.

May 10, 2010 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. abdul hakim

lena, a force, truly a positive force,gone, but, cannot be forgotten.

May 10, 2010 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  6. S corey

RIP Ms. Horne, and thank you for giving the world so much. The worlds loss is havens gain.

May 10, 2010 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. Chou Finch

She will forever live on in her movies and music. Wow, the choir of heaven just aquired quite a singer. Peaceful journey. Hope to see you again someday

May 10, 2010 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. ladybost

i am reading her biography, a great love she had for her people and for equility when she could have easily went back to her lavish life style. true beauty and grace cannot be bought

May 10, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. ap

this lady was a historical, and american iconic figure, we does she get one line...??anyway, may she rest in peace.

May 10, 2010 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. Saysia

Ms. Horne, R.I.P your memory will live on forever. Thank you for leading the way!

May 10, 2010 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kristina C

I'm 19 years old, but I watch TCM all the time. I was first introduced to Lena Horne when I was about 13. TCM was playing Cabin in the Sky! I also learned Stormy Weather for a talent showcase. Lena Horne was a very talented woman. She is a true legend. She is one of the people who paved the way for African Americans in the entertainment business. Although we say Michael Jackson is a legend. We forget the people that came before him. Lena Horne was a strong, beautiful, talented woman who made a big contribution to the world that we live in today. Rest in Peace Lena Horne.

May 10, 2010 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  12. Solai James

Is there anyway that this article can be fix? It refers to Ms. Horne as "Home" more than once :-/...may she still rest in peace.

May 10, 2010 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. News Watcher

This is what Im talking about with providing a photo of the person mentioned.

Fox News Got it right! Disappointed in CNN.

May 10, 2010 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. chuck0732

Not to mention, she was Fred G Sanford's ideal of Heaven on earth...

May 10, 2010 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tom

Farewell, Lena – you were a class act the whole way.

May 10, 2010 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |