May 10th, 2010

Lena Horne dead at 92

Singer, dancer and actress Lena Horne died at New York-Presbyterian Hospital on Sunday night, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Horne was 92.

She was one of the first African-Americans to sign a long-term movie contract with a major Hollywood studio when she joined MGM in 1942.

"I think the black boy that cleaned the shoes and me were the only two black people except the maids who were there working for the stars," Horne said in a CNN interview. "And it was very lonely,  and I wasn't very happy."

Still, Horne said she was grateful that her World War II-era films - including "Cabin in the Sky" and "Stormy Weather" - were seen by black and white soldiers.

"But after I realized I would only go so far, I went on the stage," Horne said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz • U.S.
  1. kal

I guess there is alot to be said for leaving the stage when the ovation is loudest. If this lady had died 40 years ago, I bet this would have been the lead story for a week. CNN has not done this story justice....

May 10, 2010 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lee Martin

You will never be forgotten!! Rest In Power

May 10, 2010 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. Claire

A woman I have loved all of my life! Your talent, beauty, intelligence, and serenity will be greatly missed!

May 10, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Brother John of Dallas

Lena was one of the defining examples of Black beauty of all shades of color. lighter and darker. RIP Lena Horne. We will miss you and continue to enjoy your work.

May 10, 2010 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. Angelarnold

Lena...you will be missed.....I LOVED you in "The Wiz" and EVERYTHING I saw and heard you in....you were a REMARKABLE trailblazer. You are with the angels now and Fred G. Sanford:-)
    You exemplified CLASS, REFINEMENT and BEAUTY!
    If only the singers of today could be an IOTA of the woman you were.

May 10, 2010 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. Monica

I'm very disappointed to see CNN has not post any pictures nor made any effort to Report a decent story about Lena Horne, I'll wait too see what tomorrow brings.

May 10, 2010 at 2:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. James

Love you Lena! Your legacy will truly be missed!

May 10, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. DENNIS

Farewell to another member of "The greatest generation," child of WW1, survivor of the Great Depression, self-made success story. Strength of character that few of today's youth would understand, including you, Dill Weed.

May 10, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. William H. Belter

I was blessed to be in radio broadcasting during a time when Lena Horne's music was on the charts. My shows would not have been the same without her magnificent contribution.

To a large degree the music industry, somewhat, abandon those who are baby boomers or older during the early 1970's in favor of pursuing a younger demographic. This younger demographic bought more recordings. It spelled the end of many recording careers such as Peggy Lee, Lena Horne, Tony Bennett, etc.

Music will always be a fascinating industry that closely reflects the mindset of the world.

Were those better days? Not necessarily. Time is a trade out. But my generation is better for having had Lena Horne and all those legends of "middle of the road" music, to be sure.

One could not duplicate my own career in entertainment today. The world mentality is grossly altered, if not self destructive.

Rest in peace, Lena... and thank you for being part of a kinder, gentler time.

May 10, 2010 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. Martha

What a lady with such talent and true class! I know this is a great day in heaven for Ed Bradley. He loved her and she will be sooo missed here on earth. Thanks Lena for all the beauty.

May 10, 2010 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ken Schwartz

I have the LIve at the Waldorf Astoria album and I will now cherish it as a fond rememberence of a wonderful person and performer.

May 10, 2010 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. JOHN G

SUCH A BEAUTIFUL AND GRACEFUL LADY. She was able to transcend barriers that no one expected of her. Being such a beautiful woman, she graced the stage with her presence and was very fond of other struggling African American singers who wanted to make their presence felt in the arts as well. She will definitely be missed. As Debbie Allen put it, "She graced our stages so that we could grab what would eventually be ours".

May 10, 2010 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. Nikki

RIP Lena Horne... and thank you for being one of the trailblazers.

May 10, 2010 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  14. BloggerMan27

R.I.P Mrs. Lena Horne!

May 10, 2010 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. Gilda

I grew up listening to my Mom's "Lena & Gabor" album in the early 70's. I think that's what got me into the Beatles (she covered several Beatles songs on that album).

RIP, Lena. You were a heck of a Lady!

May 10, 2010 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |