May 10th, 2010

Lena Horne dead at 92

Singer, dancer and actress Lena Horne died at New York-Presbyterian Hospital on Sunday night, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Horne was 92.

She was one of the first African-Americans to sign a long-term movie contract with a major Hollywood studio when she joined MGM in 1942.

"I think the black boy that cleaned the shoes and me were the only two black people except the maids who were there working for the stars," Horne said in a CNN interview. "And it was very lonely,  and I wasn't very happy."

Still, Horne said she was grateful that her World War II-era films - including "Cabin in the Sky" and "Stormy Weather" - were seen by black and white soldiers.

"But after I realized I would only go so far, I went on the stage," Horne said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz • U.S.
  1. Ian

The greatest right is; of course, to live in Freedom as an American, yet there are many Natural Rights within that scope really granted by a government won through the service of the Revolutionary-Era soldier and kept in place by others service around the world.

The Locke concept might be balanced by the Moral Relavatism and Kantian theories, but it's value is unprecedented in that the very real outcome is people's initial understanding that they can balance the rights of an individual against the backdrop of representative government and questionable standpoints of other vested interests. This understanding can be both attributed to what is logical and constantly requires our input on an ongoing basis; as well.

May 10, 2010 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. Pharmboy

I saw her on the Cosby Show and Sanford and Son. She was a very beautiful and very well spoken lady. She had class.

May 10, 2010 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. Thank you Lena

Girl O' My Dreams

"Oh, I need a woman like Lena Horn
    know she was funky since the day she was born
    Lena's mama say "Doc, is it a girl?"
    Doc say "And how!"
    Lena smiled, slapped the doctor and said
    "Sucker I'm runnin' things now!"

Oh, the girl of my dreams,
    Oh, listen people, that's the girl of my dreams!"

(Prince song circa '85/'86)

May 10, 2010 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. Amanda

Thanks for the history! You are a legend who will live on and on. Heaven inherited yet another star! May God Bless and keep your familly during this time.

May 10, 2010 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. wade

Im sad to see this icon go she was a very loved person,But on the other hand there is one man up in heaven that is certainly glad to see her come up..One of my favorite people in the world Mr. Redd Fox he loved Lena Horne I hope the two of them have a very good reunion up there with our Lord Jesus Christ in Heaven God Bless you both..

May 10, 2010 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. AntBee

Ms. Lena you were one of the greatest in this life time!

Old Blue Eyes knew it, and he was the greatest crooner of all. You were a true professional, a beautiful lady and a champion for civil rights.

Even as an older lady you were still a beauty!

Strayhorn, Senatra, Porter, Tourme, Basie, Ellington, Peggy, Billie, just to name a few. I know that there was a JAMMIN JAM SESSION the second you entered heaven!

Take your rest dear lady~

May 10, 2010 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. Roque Caston

We have lost an icon. Rest in peace Lena Horne.

May 10, 2010 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  8. A Davis

Lena Horne deserves more than this from a major news network. I've decided I'm done with Condensed News for Nitwits. Goodbye, Lena. Adios, CNN.

May 10, 2010 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bobby March

She had an amazing voice, and became her music! She will remain a staple on what music was and what music always should be. God Bless her.

May 10, 2010 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  10. steve

CNN for goodness sake please post photos and I hope you will have a more detailed story for this American icon and fabulous singer and entertainer...

May 10, 2010 at 2:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sandie

Thank you Ms. Horne.

May 10, 2010 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dawnn

God Bless Lena Horne...Thank you for all of your contributions...Rest in Peace.

May 10, 2010 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. Moni

CNN shame on you for not honoring this woman who has been inspiration to many people and a Hollywood Legend. RIP Lena! Here's to you..
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoCF1bCySn8&hl=en_US&fs=1&]

May 10, 2010 at 3:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. paul eric

Iconic! RIP!!!!

May 10, 2010 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. dan kjeldsen

thank you Lena for being here when I was.

May 10, 2010 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |