May 10th, 2010

Lena Horne dead at 92

Singer, dancer and actress Lena Horne died at New York-Presbyterian Hospital on Sunday night, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Horne was 92.

She was one of the first African-Americans to sign a long-term movie contract with a major Hollywood studio when she joined MGM in 1942.

"I think the black boy that cleaned the shoes and me were the only two black people except the maids who were there working for the stars," Horne said in a CNN interview. "And it was very lonely,  and I wasn't very happy."

Still, Horne said she was grateful that her World War II-era films - including "Cabin in the Sky" and "Stormy Weather" - were seen by black and white soldiers.

"But after I realized I would only go so far, I went on the stage," Horne said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz • U.S.
  1. Lynnette T. Williams

Another Great Legend and Magnificent Lady has left us. Her Great Singing and Classy Sophisticated Style will never be duplicated. She will truly be missed. Good bye Ms. Horne.

May 10, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. corliss pugh

GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU MS.HORNE.

May 10, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Vivienne

There is more to the great Lena Horne than those few sentences. I will miss her and will always remember her. She will be a grand entrance in heaven.

May 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DEE

If they ever make a movie about LENA they should get ALICIA KEYS to play her roll.The way KEYS walks talks and sings she could do LENA.Another Queen in SOUL HEAVEN .R.I.P LENA you will be greatly missed No more STORMY WEATHER just peace that surpasses all understanding.A PERFECT PEACE.

May 10, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. stephane

I just found out about the passing of Miss Horne and my heart aches to know we lost a a such wonderful lady an american icon

May 10, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. PROUDAFAMERICAN

A great legend of all time will forever be missed. Lena paved the way for african american women vocalist today. She had a voice that was outstanding. I am sure that BET will host a story of her life. She will forever be missed but not forgotten!

May 10, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SUZY SODERSTROM

LENAHORNE ISA "PERFECT" EXAMPLE OF A ;;HERO;;

May 10, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Johnny johnson

Farwell to the most beautiful woman in Hollywood. Even to the day she died she never look her age. Thank you for all you have done.

May 10, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MELODEE METZ

FAREWELL TO AN ICON OF HOLLYWOOD SHE'LL BE DEEPLY MISSED MAY SHE REST IN PEACE. SHE BROKE THE BARRIERS OF HISTORY WITCH EVERYBODY IS GREATFUL SHE'LL BE MISSED BUT NOT FORGOTTEN.

May 10, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sugahsweet

Heaven surely got their angel back...i have never seen her in person but I always thought of her...even in 'Stormy Weather' of the Civil Rights movement, she exuded class, style and elegance without being a victim, without denying her heritage, without bowing her head in shame–in one of the hardest eras known to the African American culture today. I am proud she got to see Barack Hussein Obama in the Whitest House. I know her family understands how BLESSED they were to have her...but do they know how BLESSED we were? GOD BLESS MISS LENA HORNE...GOD BLESS!!!!!

May 10, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joy Rumore'

Ms. Lena Horne, Thank You, so very, very much! I will love you always for so many reasons. Thank YOU and Sleep Tight!

May 10, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. B. Antoine

Lena Horne was one of my favorite entertainers of all time. She came from an era where you had to know acting, dance, singing and stage prescence. And yes she was so so beautiful. But that is on the outside and inside. She stood up for what she believed and did not apologize for it. This is what we as a people need to take heed to. Our stance sometimes, is going to cost us. She will be missed. PS. I used to say Alicia Keys should play her in a biopic because Alicia looks as if she's Lena's granddaughter. But Paula Patton would pull it off better. Just my opinion.

May 10, 2010 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Robert

Ms Lean Horne, Thanks to my Grand parents and parents I know your music and acting very well! I will always admire your radiant ageless beauty and singing. You were a lady always of good taste. Furthermore, playing a significant role during the civil rights moment...A and trying but, proud moment in American history. My! We can use more like you...more class and pride!!

You will dearly missed... go among the stars with blessing.

May 10, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sharon R.

Lady Horne, we will miss your wide smile, charismatic warmth, your fantastic flare and zest for life. We grew up with you in our living rooms, and in our hearts. You paved the way for so many African-Americans, men and women; please rest assured, we are grateful and will forever hold you in high esteem in our hearts.. Rest in peace, our friend.

May 11, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. kelly

Lena was a beautiful and classy women. She will be missed by everyone. RIP Lena!

May 11, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |