May 11th, 2010

Report: At least 2 in family die after sinkhole swallows home

[Update 9:59 p.m. ET] Two members of a family whose home was swallowed by a sinkhole were found dead Tuesday evening, officials said, CNN affiliate CBC reports.

The condition of two other family members was not available. All four members of the family were found in the basement of the home, Michel C. Doré, Quebec's associate deputy public security minister,told the CBC.

[Update 2:49 p.m. ET] The mud-caked dog of a Canadian family has been found in a sinkhole that swallowed their home, but searchers have found no signs of the couple and their two daughters, ages 9 and 11, CNN affiliate CBC reported Tuesday afternoon.

Yvon Desrochers, uncle of homeowner Richard Préfontaine, told CBC he fears his nephew and his family were in the home’s basement watching the Montreal Canadiens-Pittsburgh Penguins hockey playoff game Monday night when the ground gave way beneath the home, about 40 miles northeast of Montreal.

[Posted  11:07 a.m. ET] A Quebec family of four was missing Tuesday after a massive sinkhole swallowed their home, according to reports from CNN affiliates.

Authorities said the home fell 30 feet into the hole when it opened around 9:30 p.m. Monday. A couple in their 40s and two children, ages 9 and 11, were believed to be inside, according to a report by CNN affiliate CBC news.

The couple’s vehicles were seen outside the house and efforts to reach them by cell phone were unsuccessful, authorities told the CBC.

"We tried to reach them by phone, because the father always wears his cellphone on him," Quebec Provincial Police Sgt. Ronald McKinnis told CBC. "The firefighters heard the cellphone, but they weren't able to [locate] it."

The hole was about 500 yards long and forced the evacuation of five other homes in the town of Saint-Jude, in a rural area near the Yamaska River about 40 miles northeast of Montreal, CNN affiliate CTV reported.

McKinnis told the CBC that the hole was first reported by a truck driver whose rig fell into it Monday night. He suffered only minor injuries, McKinnis said.

Search-and-rescue dogs were being called in to help the search, according to a report in the Montreal Gazette, and a helicopter was circling the area looking for signs of movement.

Post by:
Filed under: Canada
  1. Marci

Very unfortunate for the family. They are the wrong place at the wrong time. Please have faith.

May 11, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jesues Loves You

The dark horse rides high in the twinking moon night. All that fail to know my power shall perish into a lake of fire and flames. LUKE 69:69

May 11, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. anRecs

It was a mini black hole from the LHC.

Look at a globe, the LHC is right on the other side of the Earth.

aNr
    :p

May 11, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Stop it man

Stop with the fake biblical quotes...the real quotes make much more sense and you are causing sink holes ... GOD DA&M##NT you lil punk

May 11, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The White Horse

The white horse shall appear from the East, on it a great wizard of intelligence and wisdom. His army of man will erradicate the dark night and the wretched and tired.

LORD OF THE RINGS: END OF MOVIE

May 11, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BLACK HOLE SUN

Black hole sun..won't you come..wash away my house:

SOUNDGARDEN:1995

May 11, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. josie526

I have no life, which is why I'm reduced to reading these posts. Must agree with Helen; she is right on. TOO many disasters world-wide, all within such a short period of time. Makes one wonder what next?

Pray for the family in St. Jude, Quebec.

May 11, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Southpark

Aren't the Southpark creators from Canada.

It is 100% known fact that this is a result of the MUSLIM GOD Mohammed Jihad Picklepuffer!! He is so mad at those guys he is causing sink holes.

It is not always Jeezy Creezy killing people and causing all the bad...Mohammed Jihad Picklepuffer did this one.

It is in the Koran. And the comedians shall cast a stone so great that no Supreme Being could cast aside the shadow of the their guilt and not punish nations with vast holes of fury and fire!!!

May 11, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jack

You people better start praying. The Lord is very angry at people for not praying enough. Please God, help me. Get me out of here!!!

May 11, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Angel

First my prayers for the family and I hope they can find them. Nothin is impossible with God. I do think because of technology we hear about disasters and events sooner, but I also believe it is a sing of the times and that we will experience more earthquakes, floods, tornandos as other natural disasters. I keep looking to the skiy for my Jesus to return. Pray for our nation and for the world. God Bless each and everyone of you.

May 11, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Whoa..stink holes

I wish I could fall into a nice big stink hole...get my drift..get it..do you get it?

May 11, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Wimpy

I agree, that before I would buy a home in this area, I would check the minerals and land grafts. I just wondered if anyone in that area noticed the land shifting. I know in Mississippi and most of the South, red clay mud is known to shift a house off its foundation. Underground coal mines leave the surface week and unstable for building.
    I hope the missing family is found and all is well. I pray they find the cause of this and make adjustments to fix it before others are hurt.

May 11, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Angel

Sorry, I am having spelling problems today..

May 11, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. THe Lord Rises Up

Jesus will fly down from the heavens on a donkey made of gold. The gold donkey will vanquish the devil with a brutal leg kick. Jesus will look upon the masses and say, "Well shi*$T..I have no idea how to get you guys to heaven..do any of you have a teleporter device or anything"

May 11, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. :)

Odd... I had a dream of a large sinkhole last night, but I didn't think it was THAT large.

May 11, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |