May 11th, 2010

Report: At least 2 in family die after sinkhole swallows home

[Update 9:59 p.m. ET] Two members of a family whose home was swallowed by a sinkhole were found dead Tuesday evening, officials said, CNN affiliate CBC reports.

The condition of two other family members was not available. All four members of the family were found in the basement of the home, Michel C. Doré, Quebec's associate deputy public security minister,told the CBC.

[Update 2:49 p.m. ET] The mud-caked dog of a Canadian family has been found in a sinkhole that swallowed their home, but searchers have found no signs of the couple and their two daughters, ages 9 and 11, CNN affiliate CBC reported Tuesday afternoon.

Yvon Desrochers, uncle of homeowner Richard Préfontaine, told CBC he fears his nephew and his family were in the home’s basement watching the Montreal Canadiens-Pittsburgh Penguins hockey playoff game Monday night when the ground gave way beneath the home, about 40 miles northeast of Montreal.

[Posted  11:07 a.m. ET] A Quebec family of four was missing Tuesday after a massive sinkhole swallowed their home, according to reports from CNN affiliates.

Authorities said the home fell 30 feet into the hole when it opened around 9:30 p.m. Monday. A couple in their 40s and two children, ages 9 and 11, were believed to be inside, according to a report by CNN affiliate CBC news.

The couple’s vehicles were seen outside the house and efforts to reach them by cell phone were unsuccessful, authorities told the CBC.

"We tried to reach them by phone, because the father always wears his cellphone on him," Quebec Provincial Police Sgt. Ronald McKinnis told CBC. "The firefighters heard the cellphone, but they weren't able to [locate] it."

The hole was about 500 yards long and forced the evacuation of five other homes in the town of Saint-Jude, in a rural area near the Yamaska River about 40 miles northeast of Montreal, CNN affiliate CTV reported.

McKinnis told the CBC that the hole was first reported by a truck driver whose rig fell into it Monday night. He suffered only minor injuries, McKinnis said.

Search-and-rescue dogs were being called in to help the search, according to a report in the Montreal Gazette, and a helicopter was circling the area looking for signs of movement.

Post by:
Filed under: Canada
  1. Steve

Actutally, Quebec is missing. Those supposedly in the house know where they are.

May 11, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jennifer boss

you think kyou've had a bad day!

May 11, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. This Is Why

This is what happens when a country makes marijuana legal. God strikes down the filthy land and rids the ignorance, injustice, and immoral!!! Way to Go Canada. You just killed a family of 4 because you like getting high!!!

May 11, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. shirley

IT a very sad thing to happen but more than likely they are dead who knows what all in that
    hole.

May 11, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Teresa

I agree with Mike!!

May 11, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SINKHOLEEXPERT

AHH RPGUY FLORIDA JUST HAPPENS TO BE THE WORST STATE FOR SINK HOLES. WE SAW HUNDREDS AFTER HURRICANE ANDREW. THIS WAS DUE TO SUDDEN PRESSURE CHANGES IN THE ATMOSPHERE. ALSO MOST INSURANCE POLICIES EXCLUDE SINK HOLES!

May 11, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. They Should Have

Since we are a Christian society that believes God Controls everything either

A) These people were not praying enough

B) God did not like the marijuana laws

or

C) THey were clearly satan worshippers.

GOD CONTROLS EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE. START LIVING IN THE LIGHT OF THE LORD PEOPLE BEFORE YOU FALL INTO A BIG HOLE

May 11, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pat

I've never posted here, but I just had to as the person talking about the stock market bouncing around like a rubber ball really made me laugh. Seriously though, there's so much happening at the same exact time, just yesterday as I watched the weather channel they were discussing how having these size torndoes only a month apart was rare.
    There's the Atlanta flood of September of last year, many said they've never seen simple pour down of rain cause this manner of damage, of flooding, it was described as beinga 500 hundred year event. Now Tennessee, just that morning before I awaken from sleep, I wa in a dream, in the dream there was talk of Tennessee, and this person asking me my name, only when I replied they decline and corrected me, told me to instead say my name as, Mer-Pat, or Mer Mack, my husband name. Little did I know as this haooening, water was poutring into my baserment.
    I know you're not giong to believe it, but just two months ago i was forewarn about May trials, and just as soon as May came in, Tennessee suffer what the weather channel describes as a one in one thousand year flood. Being this Apostle/Prophet now for twenty years, I know for certainty, this generation at present shall not past away until all biblical prophecy is fulfilled, beware.

May 11, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. FruitLoop

Family mnissing? They are probably in the sinkhole.

May 11, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Melanie

I saw an interview with family members who say they were huge hockey fans, and were most likely in the basement watching the playoffs when it happened..... which is even sadder since the lower half of the house was totally swallowed up in the sinkhole.... i pray for this family, such a sad story

May 11, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. They Should Have

The End Of Days Is Near.

REPENT REPENT before the dark horse comes and radiates the light of the lord and the cross bearing on your head illuminicates like a child's smile.

PAUL 6:10

May 11, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jack

Let's all start praying 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week!!!

May 11, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Really

If God is real...I don't like him/her or it. Just a mean spirited deity.

May 11, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sarcasmo

If I ever make a list of the top 10 ways I hope I never go, being swallowed by the earth in my house with my kids will probably crack the top 4 or 5. This is biblical in its ridicularity.

May 11, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. HEY

Hey man...that isn't even a real verse from PAUL 6:10...that isn't cool man. I bet God did this to get back at you for blasphemy!!

You cant make up quotes then say they came from the Bible. That would be like the people making up the stories!!!

May 11, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |