May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. Shane

This is a typical knee jerk reaction by many folks in my state, (The People's Demokratik Republik of Kalivornia).

I really have to say, I personally believe that we have some of the most stupid legislators in the world living in this state.

To all of you stupid legislators who currently live in California:

"Your village just called, they all want their idiots back!"

And... some in my family wonder why I want to live in Washington State!

Its probably because I want to live in the real United States of America.

May 13, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jay

America is changing, as always has changed. That's what makes us powerful. Most people don't understand this new change, which no only involves more latinos in our community, it involves a profound change in all areas. You can hide yourself in racial profile, or your bible. Nothing is going to stop the change. More likely somebody in your family will marry a Hispanic in this generation. Wake up and just understand America. Arizona and all the people supporting it should move to Iran, or Cuba, where they really can be understood.

May 13, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. Scott

I just love how the illegals and their sympathizers think that they represent what's fair. What's fair is if you are stopped by a cop you provide them with a driver's license or get fined. If, during the course of being stopped you are found to not be here legally, you get to go home. Good riddance to you. If you can't respect the laws of the country you are living in for free then you need to go back to your mud thatched adobe hut with dirt floors. I've been stopped by police for electrical problems, traffic signals etc. and I have always had long hair. They took a double look at me because of that but I didn't go around whining about it like you people do. The racist quip is so funny. You all act like there's illegals here in this country from places other than Mexico and you use the law as a kind of dumbing-hammer. Meanwhile all your sympathizers (people who come from privlidged backgrounds) sit there and fume about the law. I don't know what to tell ya, life isn't fair but you think it should be fairer to you because you're dark skinned. I get no breaks and I'm white/cherokee but you know what, when I try my hardest to do my best I'm fine. Quit whining and let the law be enforced NO RECONQUISTA FOR YOU HERE!!!!!!!

May 13, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. Steven

Arizona did what it had to do, I commend the brave governor. Deport all of the illegals and secure the borders with what ever means necessary. If you disagree then you may go with them. As far as the Peoples Republic of California, they are broke anyway, screw them.

May 13, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. Indigenous

Mexicans are INDIGENOUS, not Immigrants. This is NOT about illegal immigration if that were the case White people would be the first to be deported. This is about Federal Recognition of Mexicans as INDIGENOUS people. Mexico has 62 indigenous Nations and 300 dialects, to name a few: Purepecha, Raramuri, O'Odham, Pima, Yaqui, Kickapoo, Lipan Apache, Nahua, Mayo, Yoreme, Mexicanero, Mazateco, Huasteco, etc.

May 13, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. Indigenous

Unless you are INDIGENOUS, YOU are an Illegal Immigrant. Mexicans are Indigenous and are ethnically related to the Paiute, Shoshone, Hopi, O'Odham, Pima, Comanche, Ute, and hundreds of other Indigenous Nations. If you Americans want to stop Illegal Immigration then why are you targeting Mexicans? Mexicans are not immigrants, they have lived on this continent for well over 5,000 years as is proved by lexico-statistic glottochronology of their Mexican language Nahuatl.

May 13, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. bob

Ha! LA trying to strongarm another state based on money? As if LA has the money to pay those contracts anyway!

May 13, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. avp0713

Seems to me that the people who keep saying "Read the Bill" haven't actually read the bill themselves.

Arizona will go down in flames, and become a poor decrepit state that no one wants to visit and no one will even want to be seen in. I feel sorry for the citizens of Arizona that understand that this law is racist, but don't have any choice.

Yes, something needs to be done to stop illegal Aliens Immigration, absolutely... that's not the issue here. Yes, everyone needs to carry ID and should carry ID, that's not the issue here. The issue here is NO ONE SHOULD BE QUESTIONED ABOUT THEIR LEGAL STATUS BASED SIMPLY ON THEIR LOOKS.

The reason 9-11 happened is because our government was only stopping people that LOOKED like terrorists. Well, guess what? The Hi-Jackers did not look like the traditional terrorists. That is why it is IGNORANT to base legislation on LOOKS.

May 13, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  9. Texasman

Jay,

I have no problems with hispanics. I have friends and family members from central america and they came to this country LEGALLY. I live in Texas and I love the hispanic influence on the area I live in. I just want people to come here legally and MELT into this country not be Mexicans that just reside in the United States.

May 13, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. ASH

LA LA land is at it again!! We all have to carry identification. The only people who have anything to worry about are the Illegal Immigrants and I thought that the term itself “illegal immigrant” says it all! Aren’t they breaking the law just bye being here in the United States!! Their presence in the country is against the law that is why they are Illegal and not legal immigrants.

May 13, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. Stephen Burris

Who cares!!! All we have to do it shut off their water and quit selling them our surplus electricity. All those liberals can go sweat the summer somewhere else. Seriously would anyone really worry if Californians boycotted anyone. They can't even afford to live there let alone boycott. GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!

May 13, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  12. averagejoe

Nice job LA. Your actions have now confirmed my vacation plans and I will be heading to California this year. Except when I drive there I will be taking I-70 instead of I-40. Traveled for years through I-40 to get to CA but not anymore.

May 13, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jacques

Some of you sound surprised by boycotts popping up. Whenever something as controversial as the immigration law or their brand new education law is passed there will be some fallout. I am not saying if it is right or wrong. Even in my country of Canada there ia a movement afoot to boycott Az. Europe is beginning the same as are a few other locales in the US. Now before you say we don't care about foreigners vacationers, stop to realize that these people bring hundreds of millions of $ to the Az. economy and I for one feel some sympathy for those that will be affected. Don't count on the rest of the US to pick up that shortfall because it is not going to happen. Again, I am not saying if it is wrong or right, just that it is occurring and will have a noticeable effect.

May 13, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. luygi

We're so selfish in saying they (illegal immigrants) don't belong here! When everyone in this country, except for the Indian Native Americans, have ancestors who immigrated to this country or are immigrants themselves . It's easy to point the finger and step on someone when they're down, but when you're the one being stepped on, it sucks.

May 13, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  15. Dr Bob

Hmmm... I guess this means the LA Lakers – Phoenix Suns basketball playoff series is canceled. With the LA default, the Suns move on to the NBA Finals. WooHoo! Go Suns! (Sorry, Kobe, but your city needed to make a statement!)

May 13, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |