May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. thetruth

I am outraged the Los Angeles City Council has decided to boycott Arizona. Los Angeles is the tip of the iceberg for illegal immigrants performing criminal activities. Thank God I moved. The city is very corrupted with city council members bartering their votes for services from the general public. The city is infiltrated with laws protecting illegal Mexicans peforming criminal activities, especially stealing social security numbers and identifications from US citizens and permanent residents. The city council members and mayor are RACIST against all races except Mexicans and latinos... that's not latinos of African origin. I am a victim of discrimination from the latino members of the city council.

May 13, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bill

Is this an example of affirmative action?

May 13, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. nicole

No I'm sorry, what is obvious is that this woman is a racist. She is blatantly ostracizing the Latino culture and race, and this new law is cloaked in nothing but racism. Read the law you say, I have. First of all there is no reason why a state should take on what the federal government's job is. Secondly, it is so obvious that you would be racially profiling I really do not understand what people do not get about this. The law enforcement themselves do not even want to have to enforce this. Give me a break people and open your eyes, or just admit that you racial profile yourselves.

May 13, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lis

Pam,

Yes, I carry my passport with me at all times when I travel abroad, just as I carry my driver's license with me at all times. The law some people are screaming about allows officers to check one's legal status as part of being stopped for some OTHER violation. They are not stopping people because they look illegal! And just as a refresher, illegal means criminal. Come to the United States legally, and we'll welcome you with open arms. Come here illegally, and you should expect to be treated like the criminal you are.

May 13, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. United!

I thought I lived in the UNITED STATES! Key word is united! now we have states against Arizona because they want to protect themselves from ILLEGAL immigrants! They want to take back control of their state from the crime that the ILLEGAL immigrants are causing. Wow, LA you can keep your business, they don't need it if you are in full support of illegal immigrants. I fully support the Arizona law, heck it out did OKLAHOMAs Illegal immigration law that we thought was tough! Time to take back AMERICA and become UNITED once again!

May 13, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jennifer

4th Avenue downtown Tucson, on a Thursday night, everyone seems to be having a good time...bar closing time, my sister and I were getting into our car. A Tucson police officer parked in front of us walks up to a latino man, and tells him to sit down on the stoop of one of the buildings. The guy looks totally confused, but sits down, and appears to have verbal interaction with the police officer, he stood up again, then the officer points for him to sit back down, which he does. The police officer paces back and forth, in front of the guy sitting on the stop, then the officer walks off and the man walks away. The obviously confused Latino man walks away looking over his shoulder and the officer never comes back. I believe we witnessed the first act of local officers trying out their new authority. Although the nothing is official till the end of July, There is an obvious shift in power.Did the man look like your average U of A student, yes and no, but seriously what in the hell was that? People are already paranoid...I tried to snap a picture, but I think I caught the end of the engagement. When oppression prevails, fear lives, where fear lives, violence is inevitable. People are starting to feel they have nothing to lose anyways, and the violence in Tucson is increasing. Five people shot on Monday night, one killed. Tuesday night, more violence. And what is to come more civil unrest. Way to go Arizona, bringing civil war back...brother against brother...so sick and so sad.

May 13, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Quinne

OMG ... lol ... now the truly stupid are getting all lathered up about the AZ law ...

To "NO MORE ILLEGALS," in your worthless rant about indigenous peoples, you state, "Indigenous or not, they have to enter the United States the proper way."

Uhhh ... "indigenous people" are native Americans. People who were ALWAYS here. Just how does such a people "enter the United States the proper way?"

My god. Get a clue.

May 13, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  8. GG

J:

And yes I do carry my social security card, driver's license, proof of insurance and if I was required to have a passport I would get one, because that is what you do when you live in a country with laws.

May 13, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. Nomoreillegals

I am now going to vacation somewhere other than CA. How does AZ. sound? Sounds good to me. AZ. hold your ground! No more, illegal border jumpers! They should no longer be allowed to receive ANY STATE OR FEDERAL ASSISTANCE! They are upset with this law for one reason. They will be accountable to uphold and adhere to the laws in the state for which they reside. And one more thing, THEY are the ones playing the RACE CARD, only them! NEWS FLASH... IT WILL NOT WORK THIS TIME!! PIZZ OFF REYES AND CA.!

May 13, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. Quinne

To GG:

I have no idea how to even respond to your comment. I guess you support racial profiling?

Note that AZ law doesn't even permit that, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

May 13, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. thetruth

Our country is founded by immigrants; however, we, as US citizens, have agreed to pay a portion of taxes to the Indian tribes.

What has these illegal Mexicans contributed?

HEROIN
    TAKING EDUCATION FUNDING AWAY FROM AMERICANS
    INCREASED PUBLIC HEALTH RISKS DUE TO FOOD CONTAMINATION AND POOR SANTIATIONS
    TAKING JOBS FROM AMERICANS
    FLOODING THE STREET CORNERS
    FILING FALSE LABOR AND WORKERS COMPENSATION CLAIMS
    TAKING COLLEGE FUNDING AWAY FROM AMERICANS

AND THE LISTS GO ON AND ON!

May 13, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. Bill

Another classic example of how far out touch liberal politicians are with the American voter.

May 13, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. John Thompson

gee what a bad deal, a state that sent IOUs to it's tax payers is boycotting az.

brilliant.

hopefuly Arizona stands strong, and keeps this fantastic law.

May 13, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. GG

Quinne:

YOUR COMMENT:

The problem with the AZ law isn't that it targets illegals. The problem is, it opens the door to targeting US citizens, who may "appear" to be illegal immigrants by authorities. That is, people who are of Hispanic origin.

MINE:

If they appear to be of Hispanic origin, i.e., Mexican, well they do appear to be because they are. I don't have time for you not to understand your own comment.

May 13, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  15. avp0713

For those that don't know.... There are some Mexicans that DO NOT LOOK like your typical "indian" Mexican; short, squat, with darkish reddish skin and jet black hair. There are white Mexicans, that is the problem, you cannot simply generalize, that is racist.

May 13, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |