May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. Donna Bedford

I doubt if Arizona will miss LA's business. More states need to do what Arizona has done. (We're talking "illigal" immigrants here people!)

May 13, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. GG

Wow Matt.

There are a lot of ignorant people just sitting around while people who obviously look like they are illegal, just come in and bankrupt the health care system, driving around with no license, work and don't pay taxes. Got any ideas of what to do?

May 13, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  3. AJackson

The people of Arizona didn't even vote for the Governor of their state and they're taking all this heat. Maybe it's time for them to secede.

May 13, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • wayne a

ajackson how are suppose to "secede" and you can't even spell it !

May 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jay

Texasman
    I agree with you, but Arizona law is not right. Also, if we should start punishing somebody, it has to be the people that is hiring (more accurate slaving) this immigrants. If you have been in this country for 10-15 years, you have always worked, never committed a crime, have kids in this country, isn't it time you get your legal status and start paying taxes? It takes a lot more courage to promote amnesty than a law based on hatred. I would support the state that finally stop this vicious cycle. Why do you think there are so many illegal immigrants here? because a BIG part of our economy is based on the fact that we pay less than the minimum wage to them. Why people so concern about illegal immigrants still hire them? Why the federal gov does not do nothing? Because the country needs this modern slavery. Why is this so hard to understand?

May 13, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jay

GG
    How exactly a person "obviously look like they are illegal" ? I guess this is the whole point.

May 13, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. U-S-A

its about time someone stood up for our country and did something about people who SHOULDNT be here!

May 13, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. legalcitizen

ILLEGAL is the key word here. I have no problem with immigrants wanting to come to the USA in search of a better life. What I have a problem with are the ones who choose NOT to do it legally and have no intention of learning the English language and rely on our Government assistance programs to support themselves. I'm tired of paying higher taxes and medical costs because the illegals get a free ride from OUR Government while the working class natives pay and pay and pay. I say kudos to Arizona, it may not be a popular decision but at least it's a start! The illegal Mexicans who come over here and have children are a huge problem in our society. Once their children are born here they are American Citizens and we must provide for them. By no means am I saying all Hispanics are illegal, or deadbeats that is not the case I'm just relaying what I have observed in the education system in the past 15 yrs.
    I work for a school district and every after school program we have is 90% Hispanic. Why? Because people like myself have to pay for their children to attend, while the majority of Hispanics tuition is paid for by the State. The same goes for free lunches, summer school and I could go on and on. The long term effects I see in the future for American black/caucasion children are sadly a notch below the Hispanic children. 1. Hispanic children will be bilingual thanks to our school systems witch is an advantage for a future job seeker. 2. Hispanic children will be more educated because they can go to after school programs and summer school for free. 3.Hispanic children will enjoy better health because they eat at any state program for free and they also can seek medical treatment whenever they wish because money is no option! The LEGAL citizens who do pay insurance and taxes will absorb the cost for them!

May 13, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. The Roving Snark

Last time I checked, CITIZENS do not have to carry ID at all times. Even if you are pulled over (at least in my state – Ohio) you have 72 hours to provide a driver's license.

I take public transportation, so I don't have to carry an ID card. I live in AMERICA, where I am still FREE to be anonymous if I so choose. At least, I thought this was America.

I'm of Latino descent, but my family has been in the US for longer than any of you (I'm also Native American.) Europeans are the ORIGINAL illegal immigrants but the Native Americans were kind and willing to share. Look what it got them... payback is hell, isn't it?

I don't really care what Arizona does, but I know my fiancee wanted to move there; until this mess is resolved MY money will not be going to YOUR coffers.

I'm tempted to VISIT AZ with no ID just to see if my brown eyes get me deported. Does your state have the ability to fight the wrongful imprisonment suit that I would be able to bring?

This is racial profiling people. I don't care if that's what you are doing, but be honest with yourselves and CALL IT THAT.

May 13, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. Dave

Jay, you hit the nail squarely. Everyone thinks of illegal aliens as the person who just crossed the border yesterday. There are people here that have lived here for years, their children were born here and have never seen Mexico. They are as American as any other person but for a piece of paper. And there are people that would see them thrown back to a land that is foreign to them. Sorry all you white Anglo Saxon Christians out there but the world is changing.

People in other parts of the world go out of their way to learn other languages. In America we outlaw them. Well outlaw all you want, the reality is that the world is not predominately white, Anglo-Saxon or Christian. Might be time to get used to that fact.

May 13, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. Texasman

Jay,

No just because you have been here 15 years does not give you rights unless you LEGALLY did so. So you are saying if I have been selling drugs for 15 years that I should have the right to do so because I was never caught and I did support the economy of this country by buying goods and services? There is no gray area in this LEGAL and ILLEGAL no middle ground. Do it right or dont do it at all. I have said time and time again that I do support people immigrating to the US from Mexico I just want to see it done right and when they come here to become part of the Melting Pot not a Mexican living in the United States. It offends me as an American that has had members of his family die for this country to see Mexican flags flying above a US flag and the US flag flipped upside down under it. PLEASE if you love Mexico so much the boarder goes the other way too.

May 13, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. Andy

What part of illegal does L.A. not understand?? Civil war is close I am telling you...

May 13, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. Dee

Jay, you are right because I don't think that illegal immigrants would cross a desert if there was NOT someone on the other end who is willing to give them a job. If you ask me Arizona should first start applying big fines to the companies that hire illegal aliens. They should have a task force, their own INS, that go into businesses on a regular basis to check that everyone who works for a company is legally able to do so. Nothing talks louder than money...especially if a company is losing it.

May 13, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  13. Randy

Boycott California.

May 13, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  14. George Washington

To Brian, Jennifer, Quinn, Luygi, wake up. Do any of you even live in the south along the Mexico border, probably not. So what do you have to say to the families who have lost loved ones at the hands of an illegal, who should have never been here in the first place? That rancher in Arizona was a law abiding citizen and died for no reason. A cop died last year in Houston after pulling over an illegal because his tail lights were out. Do any of you work and pay taxes, probably not. Cause if you did, you should be upset about your tax dollars covering the states expenses for supporting illegal aliens. When illegals go to the emergency room, the most expensive way to receive medical care, who do you think gets stuck with the bill, the state, and how does the state pay for it, using our tax dollars. Deporting the illegals we catch cost money as well. In 2007, for every tax payer in California, $1000 was used by the state to support an illegal alien in one way or another. Our tax dollars are meant for better roads, schools, infrastructure etc. etc., not some illegal alien. My mother's family came to America in 1959 from Germany, and they did so legally, so these people crossing the Mexican border need to do it the right way as well. The only thing Arizona is doing is enforcing a law that comes from the Federal Government. I love how all these illegals show up to protest this new law here in America, but won't do a damn thing in their country to try and change it.

May 13, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  15. Matt

HAHAHAHA
    This is like having someone who is broke, in debit. in trouble and seems to have no future telling you that they will not give you money...

May 13, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |