May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. Andy

Add something to the Driver License that says you are a citizen. Doesnt bother me.

May 13, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. Scott

avp0713, your comments reveal your own ignorance. 9-11 happened not because of profiling or any bs like that. It happened because the US helped the Afghanis win the war against the USSR but didn't follow that up with post-war aid. Have you ever heard of Charlie Wilson? I guess not. In the movie that starred Tom Hanks there was a scene where Gust Avrocados tells Wilson that if they drop the ball on Afghanistan then every wack job with a partial recollectioin of history will soon be blaming the US for things that the Mullahs wish for them to believe. Guess what happened?

May 13, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Clay

Arizona is doing it wrong. They should enact a law that explicitly forbids any illegal immigrant from using any public resources. No education, no food stamps, no welfare – nothing. However, they should open their borders wide open, and offer to transport any illegal to LA, SF – or any other CA city. Then use their busses to drive into CA, and dump 'em all on CA. How long do you think it will be before the populace of CA screams at their elected officials to shut down all services to the illegals?

May 13, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. Javier Vazquez

Reyes is an idiot. His statement is completely false. It just goes to show that you don't have to be able to read to be an L.A. politician.
    P.S. I as an American citizen am required to show i.d. all the time. Does anyone know what a drivers license is?

May 13, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. Boosted Squid

I can't imagine what's going to happen the first time they ask a black man for his immigration paper work because he looks Somali. That will go over well. Arizona's new state motto: If it ain't white, it ain't right.
    I guess topics like the Holocaust, Slavery and western expeditions are now off limits...

May 13, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mike W

It is ironic, as a American citizen if I travel out of the country I need a Passport (i.e. Papers) to get back in but yet we don't require illegals to carry papers.

May 13, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  7. Andy

Right On Javier

May 13, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jay

Texasman, for a moment I thought you were a smart person. So, if I disagree I must leave the country? This is America, we celebrate other cultures. I see the Irish green and flag everywhere, I see italian families not learning english in their first generation and keeping their culture alive for generations. Nobody complains
    Again, there is a place for people like you in the world. And it is not America. You should move to Cuba or Iran, where people can be killed, or moved out of the country just for disagreeing.

May 13, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  9. Will

Perhaps the boycott would have a little more teeth if LA and the rest of California had the money to actually pay for things instead of just writing IOUs.

May 13, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  10. Helene

Los Angeles wants to boycott Arizona? Where do we send a thank you note?

May 13, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. PM

The reason for this law in AZ is because the state spends billions of dollars (I think I read 8 billion) for benefits for illegals. This is anything from healthcare, welfare, foodstamps, prisoners, etc. Just for illegals! It is a burden to the states's economy. Not to mention the crime that has hit AZ. Kidnappings, murder, drugs is rampart. I can see why it needs to be implemented. The mayor of LA states he needs to bring a passport to Arizona now. Really? Is he here illegally? California will be the next state to do something like this, since they are already in debt. I'll be in AZ at the end of the month for vacation, and I was going to LA for 2 days, but I just canceled my LA segment because I"M BOYCOTTING CALIFORNIA.

May 13, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. Darren from AZ

I am a proud white American who is proud to live in AZ. I have numerous hispanic friends and family members who are in favor of SB1070. If I committed a crime or violation I would to be subject to the same laws verifying that I am a legal US citizen. Stop with the racial profiling bull-crap! Stop the comparisons to NAZI Germany! Deporting an illegal immigrant whether they are from Mexico or Canada or anywhere else is not the same as slaughtering innocent Jewish families in Europe. Everyone who is making these comparisons trying to draw out sympathy are disgusting individuals. Your trying to rationalize why it is ok to be in our country illegally. When I woke up this morning I was in America, I should not have to push 1 for English and 2 for Spanish. I HAVE been to Mexico and called a Mexican company and I was not afforded that option, I had better know rudimentary Spanish or politely ask if they know English. The only reason there is an outcry toward the poor downtrodden illegal Mexican's is because THEY ARE THE PROBLEM IN ARIZONA!!! They suck up Billiions in social services from our state, we are going bankrupt supporting them. It is pretty bad when an AZ border town has a registered population of 2000 citizens yet has 11000 PO Boxes. And the Mexican Nationals come across the border to claim their US government checks. One house has 200 students registered to it for school. This HAS TO STOP!! Stop preaching that it is hatred!!! If our state was overrun by illegal Canadians we would pass the same law. As an American you should be PROUD to show you are a US Citizen NOT OFFENDED you STUPID Idiots!!! Millions of US MEN AND WOMAN Servicemen GAVE THEIR LIVES SO YOU CAN BE A STUPID SCHMUCK!!! Stopping disgracing their memory!!! If you have such a hard life in the US, then by all means feel free to get out at ANY TIME!!! What is this stupid Boycott all about, YOU MORONS!!! Your hurting the very people you are trying to help. THE AZ Tourism industry employs many of the people you are claiming who will be racially profiled. So when they become unemployed we should send them to LA to get jobs!! The last time I checked, the citizens of AZ did not boycott LA for any policies they have put in place. Stay out of our affairs!!! This will spread and more states will join us..... If you are illegal then you should leave before we deport you back to your home country. And to those crying you have been here for 20 years!!! Well you better start checking out stuff back at your original home, because you have been a crimiinal on the run for the last 20 years!!!!

May 13, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. Scott

Boosted Squid, in case you haven't figured it out the bulk of illegal immigration comes from Mexico, not Somalia. But if everyone is asked for their drivers license and they don't have one, guess what? Get a clue.

May 13, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  14. lias

All US citizens should carry their passport at all times..Arizonians are idiots and they think their racist atempts will succeed. well, soon minorities will be a majority here and kick the white ass out. yoo hoo

May 13, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  15. b

I don't have a problem with making people carry proof that they are here legally. my problem is that they need to ask everyone for proof. there are plenty of people here from european nations illegally as well. i am just concerned that there will be some major racial profiling going on.

May 13, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |