May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. emmanuel dadson

it's a petty arizona has agreed to call illegal immigrants criminal. i have a few questions to ask.
    are we now going to call an illegal immigrant who helped to stop an armed robbery a criminal?
    are we now going to call an illegal immigrant who helped to save a drowning child a criminal?
    are we now going to call an illegal immigrant who works peacefully and lives a right life a criminal? please,arizona,rethink again.we are all GODS children and i dont think we all deserve to be treated equally.lets all rather join hands with the federal government to pass the comprehensive immigration law and also help to strenghthen our borders i think this is the best way out and not calling illegal immigrants criminals.

May 13, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dave

Hey Dareen, it might be a little tougher to racially profile illegal Canadians...what would you look for, the polite guy who picked up litter from the streets.

May 13, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. Antonio Brigante Corleone

Somehow that bill reminds me two things

1. The Chinese system of resindency permits, calle hukoul http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hukou_system#Enforcement.
    2. The David stars that Jewish had to make visible on the clothes, while the Nazi's domain in Germany.

Next step, "Color people only" boards everywhere.
    Posted by: Kojima

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    CHUUUUUUUUUCH!!!!

May 13, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. luvuall

Sadly much of this debate sends a subtle message that breaking the rules (i.e. being an illegal immigrant) is somehow ok. That's an insult to those people who followed the process to get here legally. And to compare this law to the laws of Nazi Germany is an insult to any student of history: no one is calling illegal immigrants racially inferior. They are being defined as criminals for breaking the law just like any other law breaker. Now identification of illegals could cause racial profiling by police so if someone has a better identification or prevention measure (i.e. tighter borders) please speak up for the sake of the USA.

May 13, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. Matt Wilson

The only reason other states and cities are upset about this Arizona bill is because it will increase the illegals in their areas creating more stress and crimes hurting their already tight budgets. This really should be a non-issue, come here legally! It is about time someone steps up to the plate to try and do something about this problem. Go Arizona!!! I wish Oregon would grow a pair and join you, unfortunately we will probably end up harboring a good portion of individuals illegally in this country that leave your state. Maybe I should move to Arizona.

May 13, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. Texasman

Jay,

I am an American Jay and I love my country and everything it stands for. I respect my heritage (third generation from Russia) but I dont fly a Russian flag in my yard or on the back of my car. If I moved to another country say France I would learn French, immigrate legally, and respect the country and people of the country I moved to. Once again if you want to come live on the boarder with us please pack your stuff up and come on down. I bet in a matter of months your opinion would change. As far as the I thought you were smart comment you know where you can put that. 😉

May 13, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. Tleslie

Soooo... Banning City Employees to travel to Arizona- Hmmm. Sounds rather Communist or perhaps they are looking at this whole issue with the ideology that two wrongs make a right. This country has gone insane.
    It is a law in every state that a person must carry their Identification upon them at all times, even though its not enforced it should be and for all people residing in this countryno matter your race, creed or immigration or citizen status.

May 13, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jeff

Go Arizona. I fully suppport their illegal immigration crackdown. Federal Gov is not doing anything to uphold federal law. Oh, I cancelled my trip to California to see the Sharks play the Hawks in the Stanly Cup Playoff. Screw you California!!

CALL UPON EVERYONE TO BOYCOTT LOS ANGELES AND THE REST OF CALIFORNIA!

STOP GOING TO HOLLYWOOD MOVIES!
    STOP RENTING HOLLYWOOD DVDS FROM NETFLIX.
    STOP BUYING CALIFORNIA MUSIC CDs!
    STOP BUYING LOS ANGELES CLOTHING!
    STOP BUYING CALIFORNIA PRODUCE!
    STOP VACATIONING IN CALIFORNIA!
    STOP BOOKING CONFERENCES AND CONVENTIONS IN LOS ANGELES AND SAN FRANCISCO!
    STOP BUYING WINE FROM CALIFORNIA VINEYARDS!
    STOP BUYING CUT FLOWERS SHIPPED FROM CALIFORNIA!

May 13, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. Policedad

Alternate headline: Racist state government screws businesses in their own state with dumb law only hicks agree with.

May 13, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. Tony

Dear LA County: I'll be interested to see how long your county lasts without: U Haul, US Airways, America West Airlines, Fry's grocery stores, Discount Tire, Pei Wei, PF Changs, Circle K, Dial soap, Fender musical instruments, Petsmart, Ramada, Greyhound, and anything brought into your state on Swift or Knight transport lines (and the list goes on and on). Lemme know how that goes for you.

And to Ray in PV, do you have any understanding of what the classes they banned are? These classes the law targeted were being taught by members of La Raza with no teaching degree and encouraging Mexican immigrant students to cause civil war in areas formerly under Mexican control until we bought the land from them in the mid 1800s to succeed from the country, cause civil war, and are teaching them that they are above the US law because they are still owing allegiance to Mexico. This all being done BEFORE the students are even being taught US history. These classes fostered hate amoung racial groups and were inappropriate for students of that age.

Lastly, to all who are saying you have to carry your "papers" please read up on what Arizona considers proof of citizenship. Simply put it's your driver's license, which I suspect every person has in their wallet or purse with them at this very moment.

May 13, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. Terry

Haven't yo seen McCain on the Podeum with the – literally – Skinhead guy standing behind him? That's our top Police Officer. I'd never say they guy's a fascist or a Nazi, probably a great professional... who faithfully carries out whatever the law is. He didn't make the laws. It's McCain's worst mistake to date however, just because of appearance. I remember voting for McCain, back there- way back there. He's become a real dummy. Alzheimers? As a white man married to a mexican woman who now has to show her papers more than me, the answer is obvious, she's discriminated against. Now it's gonna be worse than ever. Loss of the California contracts alone amount to 58 million, and that's just in the last two weeks. I'd put the overall loss somewhere at five times that. The Republicans even moved their convention to Florida, since the latino community values anti-abortion, Christianity, family values, etc. Now it's baseball, now it's this and that, and again... it's only been two weeks. We've got 10 more to go before it's effective. Do you suppose illegal immigrant crime has cost us 580,000,000 in the last two weeks? Way to go U.S. It's renewed my faith in the country as a whole. AZ business persons voted in our Republican leaders. Now those business leaders want to cry.

May 13, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  12. The Roving Snark

Would everyone feel better if the illegals were referred to as political refugees? They are fleeing from a failed state, and we as a country have always been willing to open our hearts to those. Just because they don't Look Like Us we are vilifying them.

If they were from a European country, there would be no question of their refugee status, given what their home countries are like.

I used to be very anti-illegal immigrants, but when I realized my view matched that of Ann Coulter, I knew I had to reconsider my view.

If you really want this to stop, punish the companies that hire them – and maybe, just maybe, consider paying a living wage to an American to do the work the illegals will do for pennies. Supply and demand, people.

May 13, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jay

Texasman, I live in the border and I love it. I love the fact that Arizona has a great weather, great bilingual education, the lowest crime rate since 1971 and one of the lowest in the country, Again, the change is here, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop it. What are you going to do with the million and million of illegal immigrants working in this country? kill them? send them "home"? do you have an idea the huge impact that will cause to our economy? You and all the people like you should really reconsider the use of the phrase "proud to be an American". I don't really think you have a clear idea of what that means.

May 13, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  14. Boosted Squid

I hate to point this out to you Jeff, most of the food you're going to consume today will be from California...Just a fact I think you should know...But good luck boycotting California! Can I have your tickets?

May 13, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. GG

Roving Snark:

You have got it wrong. No matter what you look like, you shouldn't be here illegally. If they just happened to look different, this is a way to identify some or most of them. Come on people. The problem is huge.

May 13, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |