May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. Allie Foster

How stupid are these people? The law mirrors the Federal Law....are they going to boycott the Federal Government too??? What is it about "ILLEGAL" they do not understand?

Federal Immigration Law:
    Since 1952 federal law has said: "Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him."

No wonder CA is bankrupt – morally, fiscally and legally!!!!

May 13, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. all of america

The U.S. government could fix this problem of illegals over night. Close the borders completly, Nobody in ,nobody out. Put up a Berlin wall along the border. Tell mexico we will open the borders when you have dealt with all of your problems.Don't make your problems ours!

May 13, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mike

its funny how everyone who isnt mexican has been complaining about illegal immigration for years. But then arizona does something about it and now everyone is acting like its wrong to have to carry some identification in your pocket?

May 13, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Isabel

Boycott CALIFORNIA!! Deport LaRAZZA and associates... slime...

May 13, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joe

Something needs to be done but deporting everyone is not going to work! I think they should be put on probation for a period of time, have no government services like welfare etc... Must be able to carry their weight! Each should have to pay a fine, learn english as a starting point! Also while on their probation not be eligilble for a state or federal refund even though they may be due one. Also beef up the borders!!! Use the National Guard in a rotation or even use new soliders as part of their boot camp training, This is going to cost us either way we go!! As part of you ID goes I agree have it added to everyones official ID weither they are a citizen, greeen card etc... The only people who should be upset is the American Indian!! You try something and if it don't work change it!! The US Governement is going to have to step up and do it's job!! I love this great country and would defend it to the end!! but deporting everyone is crazy!

Joe

May 13, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. alex garcia

Kayla, by your racist logic black people should carry papers as well

May 13, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Robert

Allie Foster – exactly! The only ones who do not want to do this are the illegals. The free ride is about to be over.

May 13, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. TheEraser

This is going to get politically bloody. Hopefully not literally, because I practice.

Keep going AZ!

May 13, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Texasman

Winwood,

If you are in Texas you know that there are already moves being made to introduce a similar bill to the state.

May 13, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Robert

Break the law – get arrested – get deported! Done. Everyone is welcomed LEGALLY!

May 13, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Interaction

Los Angeles County, California
    Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2008: 47.7%
    Sounds like typical political maneuvering!

May 13, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jagdeep Singh

I am a legal immigrant and teach at a major research University in California, and conduct research in biofuels. When I was a postdoc at Cornell, I had to go through almost 2 years of paperwork, had to spend money like crazy, and prove that my educational and research credentials were significant enough to merit the grant of a waiver from the labor certification process.

I work on an H-1B visa and have an approved waiver. I still have about 4 years to go before I can become a permanent resident because unlike many others, Indians have to wait for years for the backlog to clear. When I moved to socal last year, I was livid to observe that Mexicans could simply walk into this country, break every single law I spent so much time, money and effort upholding, pay no taxes, have anchor babies, and live off MY tax payments through welfare and medical care.

The US immigration system is inherently racist and it favours Spanish speaking people over everyone else. I am sick and tired of these liberal loons who insult each and every legal immigrant every time they open their trap and start harping racism when some state with a lot more common sense than budget cut California (in which welfare for illegal aliens plays a major role) starts to fix this problem. I know this much – if I had been an illegal alien, I would have deported back to India a long time ago. Mexicans get amnesty and every else gets the shaft.

I could use a lot more intemperate language to really express how enraged I am by this cynical disregard of this country's laws.

For every sob story that comes out of Mexico, I can give you 100 from India. I myself come from an extremely poor family (which I am helping by helping my siblings get a proper education). There were times in my childhood when we went without proper food, and I remember I had to borrow money from a neighbour to even afford the train ride to go get my visa from the U. S. embassy in Delhi before I came to the US. I have not been back to India even once because I do not want to waste the money on a flight when I can send it to my family. Maybe this year, I will visit them, and see my parents for the first time in 6 years.

But none of this was ever an excuse for me to break this country's laws. Apparently the racist liberals think that the rules do not apply to their Hispanic vote bank.

Either follow the laws, or get the hell out.

May 13, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. wiseguy

Hey mexicans are not the only illegals, I know a lot of different races who are here illegaly, but want to get legal and its extremely difficult. They are even willing to join the Army just get papers so they can start working the right way, but cant so what can they do to support themselves? I support CA and all other states should start boycotting the shyt of Arizona

May 13, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Texasman

Jagdeep Singh

I stand and applaud you! I am so glad your situation has imporved and I wish the best for you and your family. I hope the American Dream is everything you want it to be.

May 13, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jim Marshall

This is very simple.

Are the illegals breaking the laws of the USA?

If your answer is no then explain your proof of this please.

If your answer is yes then what's your point??

Liberals think if the shriek loud enough and at a shrill enough level, whatever they shriek will be considered true.

May 13, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |