May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. Jay

For the people that insist about hispanic carrying papers. the problem with the law is that it allows any law enforcement officer to stop and ask for papers if they BELIEVE that person committed a crime. Nobody sees a problem with the BELIEVE part?

May 13, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Isror

Sorry Terry, you brought race into it, the law never did, you sir are the raciest. I don't care who you make claims to be married to in order to argue on a forum. Stop being a raciest.

Its funny that so many cry about this, yet many of the LEGAL immigrants within the U.S. SUPPORT this measure. They took the time to process the paperwork and walk through the steps.

Robert is correct, the law doesn't allow officers to just stop anyone because they want to.

Why isn't anyone crying foul about the Border Patrol checkpoints on the US interstates that make you stop and tell them whether or not you are a US citizen? If they have reason to believe that you are lying they can ask for proof of citizenship. All this law does is allow state and local officials now to do the same kind of validation.

May 13, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robert

The law does not allow for stopping anyone – at anytime – for no reason at all – to check immigration papers. People who promote such lies and fear mongering are ignorant!

May 13, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dD

LA and Washington DC support boycott arizona.
    Is a new civil war inminent in america?

May 13, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ray in PV

Allie Foster #379 I don't see anyone complaining about having to carry a card, the problem is that this new law allows police to stop you and ask for your "green" if they suspect you are in the country illegally. How can they determine if someone is in the country illegally? Well if you live in the southern states and you watch the news, apparently everyone who is here illegally are from Mexico (although that isn't the case) so in turn, if you LOOK like you are here illegally then that means you look Mexican, so that is what people are complaining about, racial profiling. The law has been in the book for years that you can be asked for your green card if you are stopped for any violation, but now you can be stopped if they suspect you are here illegally, which means if you are Mexican in AZ.

May 13, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Robert

Ray in PV – you are inccorect. The law does not allow what you are claiming.

May 13, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Red

Bottom line, Texasman, it takes a governor to sign or veto legislation. Texas Governor Rick Perry would most certainly not sign such a bill into law as the Arizona bill and the legislature would not risk political suicide by trying to override his veto in heavily Hispanic Texas. So, Texas is Safe from this bad Republican bill that has caused so many lawsuits which will be very costly for Arizona and anywhere else such a bill would be enacted. If states want to spend that kind of money defending a bill that is ultimately targeted for being struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court, then go ahead and Waste and Spend citizen dollars in trying to defend it. However, it will not happen in Texas and three other states as those governors whose states surround Mexico would not bring such prejudicial laws into their state. Great going governors! More Power To You!

May 13, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Robert

REd – just a question. How do you conclude that the Arizona Law 'that is ultimately targeted for being struck down by the US Supreme Court"........going to be overturned when it mirrors the Federal Law that has already passed muster?

May 13, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joe

It seems to be the liberal lefts way this year – all the stuff they want to pass, have passed or are against -- they are in the minority position when it comes to what the rest of the US citizens are in support of. Looking forward to November!

May 13, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Texasman

Red

Thats whats great about our form of government the governors veto can be overruled.

May 13, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Terry

lsror, sorry. I'm not going to let you go on it. When you think of illegal immigrants you think of brown skin. That's racism, dude. End of discussion for me. Facts are facts. It's a racist law. "Gotta sit on the back of the bus" was for blacks, illegal immigrants is for browns. You're a racist. I hope you'll work on that.

May 13, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joe

Terry – so you are for people breaking Federal Law and sucking $$$$ from the US citizens? This law has nothing racist about it – except for those who are racist to begin with.

May 13, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. David

Arizona has made their bed, and they will have to lay in it. As a Pacific Islander, born in the US, I find that the steps AZ has made to be disturbing to say the least. For those who say read the bill, I have, and to believe that there will be no racial profiling by the AZ law enforcement is a joke. While stationed in AZ while in the military, it was apparent that the there is some resentment toward minorities in that state by many whites.

I visited the Grand Canyon last year, and a resident from Flagstaff was complaining that there were too many foreigners there, and he couldn't enjoy the Grand Canyon anymore. I was surprised that he would say such a thing, but I guess he must have thought I couldn't speak English because I had a tan. It is amazing what people will say when you don't say anything. I especially love the way they speak broken English to me because they don't think I understand. I love the expressions on their faces when I speak to them in perfect English, asking them if they are okay because their speech patterns have changed.

Don't get me wrong, I believe AZ has a right to protect its citizens from unlawful activity, but it isn't just the illegal immigrants that are committing crimes in that state. I usually visit AZ yearly despite the unwanted looks from my fellow Americans in AZ. I've had to deal with the racial issue all my life, and I'm used to it.

I know that I will be thinking twice before entering AZ, especially with out of state license plates. It is the rest of the countries right to boycott AZ, and AZ has the right to complain about it. I support the ban on AZ until they figure out that there are consequences for their actions. AZ has created a law that is already on the books on the federal level, and will allow people to be charged both through the state and federal level.

May 13, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Terry

Joe. In Arizona illegal aliens pay 8% sales tax to every purchase to every associated merchant. They support our entire bus system at a rate of 30 percent ridership which supports our schools, etc. I could go on and on but won't. I'm married to a Mexicana, so don't count me in to your racist baloney. End of discussion.

May 13, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tuna74

You dare call us Racist.You call us White anglo europeons that came & took your land.
    Number 1 We bought it.
    Number 2 You who were born from Aztec & Maya.
    NOT FROM SPAIN WHERE HERNANDO CORTES CAME FROM IN EUROPE., you Hypocrates.You resent your true Culture.
    Everything you have learned is from spain, Not from true mexico.I have traveled in mexico to study your people,The one's I feel sorry for are the natural Aztec & maya Desendents that you all snub your noses at.
    You are tring to change the face of this country to look like TJ & Quarez. with you cardboard city's there.
    None of this is directed at true mexican Americans,
    But you too paid the price for freedom,Don't let the Lazy Illegal Wetbacks sucker you in to their game.Or else they will soon start to Crap on you as well.

May 13, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |