May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. Joe

At least now – your position is explained by whom you are married to. I guess it is just all about you.

May 13, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Caesar

Ok im going to try to get to some point here. Im gonna rant here for a few minutes

First of all, not ALL illegals are Mexicans, though most of them are. This is like saying that ALL blonde chicks are dumb or that ALL Germans are Nazis.

Being a Mexican national, legal immigrant it would bother me getting stop just because I look Mexican, and i do not carry my work visa with me, i leave it at my apartments for the same reasons US citizens don't carry passports everywhere you go (we might lose it). I agree that I illegals immigrants should be deported if caught committing a crime, but, what if I was in Arizona, I have my visa at my apartment, a cop pulls me over because I was speeding, or i ran a red light or some stuff like that. I agree that i deserve a ticket or a citation or something, but If this cop is having a bad day, I might be deported. This is just me, but think about Hispanic US Citizen in my situation, they could be deported too in the same exact case, no questions asked. This is the major flaw with this law. Now, you can say"Well, you're an immigrant, you should carry your visa/green card everywhere you go" this might be true, but, in my country Americans dont need to carry their passports, even better, BELIEVE ME, you don't need an American passport to enter Mexico. I dont think this law is the answer, it is a nice try, but not quite there. I really think that Illegals should be deported if committing a crime, because, if one 2 millions out of the 12 million illegals(Which should be more by now) are criminals, they should be deported or be put in jail, just like that, but the rest are making serious contribution to the economy. Some ppl can say that they are taking jobs from Americans, but i do think that ppl like me, high skilled legal immigrants are the one taking the jobs Americans want, and we are taking legally (being that i got a 100k+ job). Americans dont want to scrub toilets, do housekeeping, picking cotton. They want good jobs that illegal immigrants dont have.

I dont think anyone has the answer for this problem really. But i do think that AZ law is not it, since it WILL mess with legal immigrants/US citizens RIGHT to have LAWFUL CONTACT(commit a crime or misdemeanor) and not carry any papers with them without being deported.

May 13, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hosea

T UC K CALIFORNIA. Hope it falls into the SEA!

May 13, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Darren from AZ

I love the people who seem to not understand that SB1070 is just ENFORCING FEDERAL LAW!! THIS LAW HAS BEEN ON THE BOOKS BUT NOT ENFORCED!! And now that the state of AZ has stepped up to say, we are going to enforce Federal law because the Federal government isn't!!! The fearmongering over this is tremendous... I know numerous law enforcement officers who state that not a whole lot is going to change, they already have enough criminals to catch without going out and looking for someone based on the color of their skin and trying to determine if they are illegal.... Stop the hysteria people, The only people playing the race card are the illegals!!! And if I were a Black American I would be HIGHLY OFFENDED that illegal aliens were attempting to use the 1960's Civil rights movement for their own benefit. The key difference between the Blacks in the 60's civil rights movement and the aliens is the Black's WERE US CITIZENS!!! AND DESERVED THE SAME EQUALITY AS ANY WHITE CITIZEN. Read the definition of Immigrant vs Alien and you will see the difference.

Another definition of Immigrant:

Any person residing in the United States as a lawful permanent resident is an immigrant.

One Definition of Alien: In law, an alien is a person in a country who is not a citizen of that country and doesn't have allegiance to that country. They are alien.

The key word in this is LAWFULLY.. Perhaps we need to rethink the process for people coming to this country and make it easier to LAWFULLY IMMIGRATE here. You must assimilate into our society and uphold the laws of our country. Not walk across the border and demand your government check and free healthcare without contributing a dime to the tax burden this generates.

May 13, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lorrieprothero

But what if you were born here and have been a US citizen several generations down – but just happen to have Mexican heritage – you're going to get harrased. Luckily for me when I travel to AZ for a wedding I don't have a certain "look" that will be questioned. Totally not fair for those that are not immigrants but just look like it.

May 13, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ray in PV

Hey Tuna74 #424, at least no one had to call you a racist.. you showed your true colors with that statement.

May 13, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Liam

people- please stop comparing early american and 18/19th century american immigration to today's. back then there was a need for immigrants. now we don't have enough jobs for citizens, hence why would be want more people moving here with no skills? I'm all for opportunity for all, but pragmatically speaking, times have changed. why did rome fall? because it got too big, and everyone wanted in. this is not an american phenominon, its a historical trend.

May 13, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Clough

Texasman, but while a governor's veto can be overruled, it would be a cold day in hell for the legislators to actually be brought to the point of doing that, knowing they would have to face political suicide in the process at the ballot box with so many Hispanics in the state of Texas. So, that won't be happening anytime soon, so much is Certain!

May 13, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ray in PV

I find it interesting that many people here claim that the illegals don't speak English, but yet are also claiming that the illegals are the ones fighting this law. If they don't speak English I doubt they would understand this law in English and second they wouldn't expose themselves to be arrested for being here illegally. The ones that are fighting this law are many university students, legal nationalized citizens and legal residents. Don't keep blaming the illegal immigrant for everything and once AZ gets rid of all the illegal immigrants I want to see how long the lines are gonna be to take their jobs. How many legal citizens are going to take a number to do what the illegal immigrant was doing.

May 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Troubled by the New Law

I am born and raised in the USA, as well as my ancestors dating back several centuries. Although I am not, I have been mistaken for a Latino on numerous occasions. What will happen to those that are here legally? Or even those, such as myself, that are often mistaken for another nationality. Do I need to carry my birth certificate with me everywhere I go, even if it to the curb to check the mail?

Partly, FEAR is driving these measures. Mayor Giuliani (NYC) said it best after 9/11. He said, “When we live in fear, they win. When we continue on about our everyday life, we win”.
    Another part of me believes this is racism, driven by those that want the Latinos to vacate.

May 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. New to NM

I moved to ABQ last year and have to point out something to those not from this area. This land-Tex, Az, NM, CA, was settled legally by folks from Mexico many years before there were even states here, before there were whites here. Guess what-these people still look Mexican, often still speak the language and all proudly embrace their heritage. How many of these honest Americans in Az are you going to stop and ask for ID? How many of these people will you harass, when someone who just moved here from NY or DC will be fine because they're white? LATINO is not the same as IILLEGAL!!! Go LA!!

May 13, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Texasman

Clough

Wait and see I promise you that Texas will have a similar law on the books in the next year. Please dont forget we are a big RED state.

May 13, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. U-S-A

the only people who dont want this to happen are the illegals and the Anti-Americans.thats why they march in our streets demanding more, more, more!and yes, im referring to mexico. last week there was a rally in LA. who showed up?mexicans with their mexican flags and mexican t-shirts!the mayor of LA is a joke and he, gavin newsome, janice hann should all be shipped out of here too if they dont want to protect our country from foreign enemies.

why dont some of you who do not support the bill go preach your bull to some of the families who lost loved ones in AZ to those sick 8astard, drug cartels!you dont have the 8alls!

May 13, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Hosea

Simple, the police should ask everyone for ID that they stop for probable-cause regardless of ethnicity...oh wait a minute....they already do. What is the issue then? Go Arizona!!!!! Lead the way!!

May 13, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. U-S-A

TROUBLED BY THE NEW LAW:
    C'MON!!!
    i think if you carry your drivers license w/you just like everyone who has one does, you will be ok.?????????

what do you mean what will happen to "us" who are from here? nothing!

if a person has nothing to hide, what is there to be afraid of????????

May 13, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |