May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. Ray in PV

..and today Arizona has banned ethnic studies. The U.S, is a melting pot and to deny people who can look in the mirror and obviously know that they are not of European descent the studies of where they came from and for others to learn of other cultures is just wrong. If it were a country made up of just people of European descent, I can understand it, but come on people the president of the U.S. descendants come from Kenya, there are hundreds of nationalities represented in the U.S. and they are legal citizens and are U.S. citizens... denying them those types of studies does not make them disappear.

Boy Arizona, just keep piling it on.

May 13, 2010 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. Gary

It's funny how you can pick the laws that suit you. Seems that US Citizenship is devalued by not following our laws from the outset. Bet it won't work that way when I go south into Mexico, Central, or South America. Wonder if I can call their consulates when I am "racially profiled" by their police. The cities that are boycotting AZ need to send the buses to pick folks up that are illegal or sympathize with them.

May 13, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. JohnGalt38

Ray, are you suggesting the states should fund ethnic studies classes that span the diversity of all Americans? Get real. Arizona is not denying any American the right to learn about their history, they simply are refusing to fund them. By the way, the ethnic stiudies classes are, by definition, discriminatory. Why should I to attend classes specifically on 'black' history or 'hispanic studies'.

As a 'dutch-scottish-portuguese-native american' I want a specific class for my diversity!

May 13, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. slozomby

Josée R. – asking law enforcement to enforce the law is an outdated mindset?

May 13, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. Gloria

Arizona's new law is racist and an insult to the hispanic population not only in the U.S but in the rest of latin america. I can't believe that people think this is a good idea. This is not what the U.S stands for, this country stands for freedom, equality, and opportunity.. Arizona right now stands for racism, bigotry, and oppression.

Boycotting Arizona is what I will be doing from now on!

May 13, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

I don't care if the rest of Latin America is insulted! The rest of Latin America has immigration laws, tougher than the ones here already in place, or the one Arizona has passed. If I am white in a Latin American country, and the police stop me and demand that I give them my ID, is that racial profiling? Nope! It's the law. I just stand out a little more because I'm south of OUR border. As far as it being racist, well, I'm sorry....I didn't think respecting the laws of the country you've come to is racist. It's called RESPECT. You get what you give.

May 20, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Denis Sanchez

Let me address something to the Americans also....

I'm not saying this because I'm hispanic and I'm an american citizen because I was born here, Americans should know and it's on the history of this country that they are immigrants also. From where, from England. Why? Just look examples of the casinos around this country. Americans are immigrants also ok! We are all humans. The Government and the Americans who supports this racist law including the one who made this law don't want to admit that they are immigrants also because Americans migrated from England, so that means Americans are IMMIGRANTS ALSO!!! WAKE UP!!! I'm tired of seeing poor people including children crying and upset because of this stupid law, open your hearts! If all hispanics left from Arizona already, the state and the economy will collapse, why? Because hispanics work labor, from farms, plants, you know what I mean.....I could guarantee you that there are more hispanics working more than an average american, without hispanics in that state, it will fall, especially the country and it will be chaotic. If you don't believe americans are immigrants also, well guess what? Look up in social studies about America and also read the 15th amendment,

May 13, 2010 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
    • JT

It's not about immigration long ago. It's about illegal immigration today.

May 16, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • tuna74

I suggest that you read the 14th Amendment & have some one explain it to you.

1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
      A citizen" thats me.Show me where it says any thing about Illegal Alien.

May 17, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Indifferentonthesubject

Fritz,

This is interesting:

"This action by the mexican Mayor of Los Angeles shows what will happen in the USA when Mexicans take over the country in 40 years or so. They are not like other immigrants in the past who came here to become Americans. They want to become Mexicans with American citizenship to run this country in a way that's best for the interest of South America."

Did the knowledge you had to prove you had to become a citizen include geography. If you look at the map, Mexico is part of North America. They questions must have been very easy to pass.

May 13, 2010 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. Chad

Way to go Gloria of post number 38!! Way To Go!!

As for bradms3 of post number 26, Governor Rick Perry of Texas has announced that he is definitely NOT in support of the Arizona immigration law and would not entertain such a law in his state of Texas. Way To Go Governor Perry!!

May 13, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. Miguel Santiago

Way to go Arizona! Wish they would pass this up here in CT. There would be a ton of landscaping jobs that would be available for the people who are currently unemployed!

May 13, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  10. MichaelM

Where to begin. Yes I agree that EVERYONE should be required to carry proper identification with them at all times. My probelm with the law is it can easily lead to racial profiling by local authorities. Why not pass a law that punises the wealthy that hire the illegal immigrants to work for them since the labor will be cheaper. Force anyone hiring to be responsible for verification of paperwork. As far as ethnic study classes I am torn because this country was built on the thoughts and backs of many different ethnic groups. Yet even in our basic enghlish classes we do not discuss the contributions of other ethnic groups into books, poems, etc. Our history classes do not discuss the contributions of the different ethnic groups in building this country. Do we need seperate ethnic classes in the public schools ... no leave that for Universities to offer for those students that actually want it. But we do need to change the curriculums of schools to include contributions by other ethnic groups.

May 13, 2010 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. Gary

I'm an Arizona resident and have just enacted my lifetime boycott of the Caifornia tourism industry (along with any other state or city government who decides to boycott Arizona over this). You can bet the entire state will be losing a lot of my travel dollars over the next few decades. This is a big deal, I'm highly offended by Los Angeles and SF, and I have a very long memory.

May 13, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. JohnGalt38

Indifferentonthesubject- is it possible that Fitz is refering to the reality that the pro-illegal immigrant activists tend to glorify the leftist governments of South America (aka, Chavez, Lulu etc.).

Want to see an example of this:

May 13, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  13. Chris in VA

Is Southwest going to get banned from LAX?

May 13, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. DudeNC

That's what we want!! We all spent many years in college to get those jobs in landscaping!! Free those jobs up!! I want to pick lettuce and paint houses with my 8 year degree!!

May 13, 2010 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. Frantz and Lorayne

Four years ago we moved away from Arizona to raise our family. We didn't care to be in a state that REQUIRED our children to learn spanish in school or provided classes specifically for hispanic children that didn't speak english (ESL). In the US we speak english. If there was a class specific to white students it would be considered racist and unfair. What's the difference between a class that's all hispanic verses a class that's all white or black, asian or indian. With the passing of this immigration law and the change toward ethnic classes in schools we would be willing to consider a return to Arizona. We will certainly continue to vacation and support Arizona businesses. We would also like to point out that providing medical care, education, and law enforcement for illegals are the primary factors that have bankrupted California. Why should other states be penalized or considered racist for protecting their economic well being? Remember, the main factor that bankrupted County Hospital in Phoenix was providing medical care for illegals. If people from other countries, other than Mexico, have to provide evidence they are here legally, what makes people from Mexico different or an exception? If California wants to support illegal immigrants then I think they should start their support by opening their doors to all the illegal inmates currently in jail/prison in all US states.

This would provide California the opportunity to walk the walk since they are the first to talk the talk.

May 13, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
    • gypsyjo

Kudos ..... I couldn't have said it better. I'm all for allowing anyone into this country legally to take advantage of the opportunities this country provides, but any illegal alien does not deserve to live here and have those same advantages as the rest of us paying taxes and obeying the laws of our country........race has nothing to do with obeying our laws.

May 17, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |