May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. Texasman

Clough,

One more thing dont assume that all hispanics are against the bill. I know a lot of people of Mexican heritage that are sick and tired of illegals but then again the ones I know all came over legally.

May 13, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. U-S-A

NEW TO NM:

as many as it takes!!!
    if there are honest americans in AZ, they belong here and have nothing to fear!

May 13, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Liam

Pam from Canada- I traveled in Europe and I was asked for my passport on a few occassions. I DID NOT CARE! ITS NOT A BIG DEAL! Other countries show more antipathy towards immigrants, have you been watching the news in europe?!?!? france, germany, switzerland, all antiimmigrants! whatv are u people talking about?

May 13, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michael

LA is only worried that our illegals will now go there....this is their way of saying to us in AZ "Repeal it! We don't want your illegals! We have enough of our own!!!"

May 13, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hameeda

I think the real reason California is boycotting AZ is becuase they are no longer going to get to exploit the illegals that "american law abiding businesses" have brought into the country, most illegals get here with illegal methods and fake papers provided by these "american companies" the only thing AZ is doing is not allowing the companies in their state to exploit and break the law, so that means CA will actually have to hire more legal americans and pay them minimum wage and rights which they really dont want to do.
    Cant anyone see that, but whats happening is exactly what CA wants and AZ is not doing this the right way, because it is going to create more unemployed illegal immigrants in their state increasing the problem that already exists, there has to be a better way, and it starts with cracking down on the corruption between employers and border patrol officials that are making big bucks in bribes smuggling in illegals giving them false papers, and abandoning them when they get here, leaving them to do crimes etc becuase they no longer are working for the employer illegally that brought them here.

May 13, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ice

Can someone enlighten me if this law implies all 'non whites', particularly hispanic looking 'citizens' to carry a proof of citizenship?

May 13, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jim Marshall

Good for you Arizona!

C'mon Texas....what are you waiting for?

May 13, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bobo the lib

We need to vote out all of the politicians form IL, LA, Oakland, San Fran, Milwaukee, and the rest that approved the AZ boycott. They no longer uphold Federal Immigration Laws therefore these elected officials should be promptly replaced. END OF STORY.

May 13, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. maria

I agree with Arizona. I am a Latino woman and I came to this country when I was 10 years old. I and my family arrived legally and honor the laws of our adopted country. I am now married and have 4 family members serving in Iraq. Boycott Arizona for following asking others to follow the law? California ought to be ashamed. Maybe the real reason is that now they are going to get the overflow of illigals and they want to prevent that. Please get real. This administration needs to stop playing politics and really adress what is best for all Americans. Illigal immigrants hurt all Americans. I could care less if they come from Mexico or China-illigal means you are breaking the law. But then again we are talking about a state that legalizes drugs. I cant wait to see the excuse they are going to come up when a school bus driver kills students because he was /she was high.

May 13, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. AL

Name one other country that I, as an American, can enter illegaly, live off the government with subsidized housing, free healthcare and free education for my numerous illegal children who I also smuggled into the country – and wait – pay no taxes to this same government! i would be thrown in jail or worse, but not here in America where the illegals are taking over! Boycott CA and any other state who announces a boycott of AZ. And since when is CA able to pay it's bills? What's a few cancelled CA contracts to AZ?

May 13, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tuna74

For Ray in PV
    The truth hurts .I marched with Dr King,I guess I missed you.
    Lo que no mata,Engorda.
    From an american PR.

May 13, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Michael in AZ

To compare Arizona to Nazi Germany is horrible. Arizona is trying to stop illegals and get them out of here. They are not harming nor killing anyone! The cops I've come into contact here are very professional....and yes, even the ones that gave me tickets....they know they have to have a sense of trust in the Hispanic communities (which there are many)....2 million legal Hispanics here folks....a boycott will hurt them too....so the people you say you are trying to help you are really hurting.

ALL of the legal Hispanics I know are totally for this law....and why shouldn't they be? They worked long and hard to get their citizenship and they are proud to call themselves Mexican-Americans, or Americans of Hispanic heritage. They are proud of their background, as they should be. This is not a racist law. My wife is Hispanic, and my daughter is half. She is currently learning both languages (English and Spanish). It would be horrible to tell her that as an American she has to do away with her ancestor's nationalities, and I'm very happy she's going to be multicultural.

BTW, there's a difference between being "harassed" and being asked a simple question. If you can't prove your legal with legal papers and you should be deported. If you have your proof, it's nothing and you go on your merry way. No problems, no harassment.

To all Hispanics who are against this are afraid their rights will be trampled on and detained. If you follow the law I can assure you that you will be fine.

To all whites who think that other cultures and colors are inferior to you and think that this "America" should be a reflection of you, shame on you.

May 13, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. -------

I don't think everyone really understand what is going on. I don't think the debate is over whether people should be here illegally, obviously they should go through the proper channels. This debate is over how to tell who is illegal and who is not illegal. You cannot tell by just looking at someone whether they are illegal, that is why this law does not make sense.

May 13, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bobo the lib

Yes. That is why all people must produce id regardless of ethnicity when stoped for porbable cause.

May 13, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. -------

PS i am a LEGAL hispanic and against this law
    I don't know ANY legal hispanics who are for this law
    Or any other legal immigrants i know for that matter
    Its often hard enough to be fully accepted into society without a law subjecting a group of people to special inspection, whom you might 'look like'.
    and yes i would find a problem if i was asked 'a few simple questions'; it is harassment, if i am a legal citizen who is not getting equal treatment because of the color of my skin.

May 13, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |