May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. John from Massapeuqa NY

Simply stated, illegals get out of my country. What about the word illegal do you and this nation's Libs don't understand?

May 13, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Summer

I absolutely will join in the boycott of Arizona applaud California for withdrawing 56 million dollars from Arizona. Plus, to top it off this could spark a racial war that this country does not need. What's next? Banning books by authors that are not Anglo? For the record I am an Anglo of Irish/Italian descent. What else is next? That the legal Mexican Americans wear a yellow star on their sleeve at all times to denote that they are legal American citizens? These are fascist policies.

Surely there is way to enforce the illegal passage into this country from Mexico. Why should the citizens in Arizona who are legal Americans be singled out? Why can't the Arizona national guard be utilized to secure the borders? There has to be a better alternative to prevent the illegal passage of Mexicans from Mexico that come into this country.

Other questions to pose are why aren't we getting more views by Anglo Americans on this issue? This issue affects us all as Americans and it is OFFENSIVE that a state would take such draconian measures to prevent the problems that affect the state. Racism is outmoded. We should focus on social class disparities that affect ALL races of people.

Ethnic studies programs should be bringing people TOGETHER - not driving them apart. A good ethnic studies program fosters understanding of other cultures. Arizona needs to get a clue that they are behind the times. Very behind the times. They have taken a step backward in cultivating understanding between people.

May 13, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarasota

We dont have a problem with Mexicans, only the ones that do not belong here. And it does not stop with them, Russians, Chinese, does not matter. If you did not enter legally then you need to go home now. Party is OVER

May 17, 2010 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. Alec

Wow, people are complaining about the 'racial profiling,' when really everyone does it, Its a natural thing for people to do, to judge someone on the way they look and to say you don't is a lie. I'd much rather prove that I am a United States Citizen and have a job then to have an immagrant take my job and leave my family hungry. Its bullsh!t. I honestly don't think its THAT big of a deal, if the legal immagrants of Arizona or anyone suspected of being illeagl don't have anything to hide, why not show you're true collors?

May 13, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TheEraser

I LOVE AZ! I am a 4th generation American who looks Mexican. I will proudly show my paperwork to prove that I belong to this great country to rid ourselves of these criminal leaches.

Congrats to all of the immigrants who did the hard road to be here legally. Welcome.

To the ILLEGAL immigrants, say so long to your free ride! And take those MS13 pieces of crap with you. Oh wait, they are illegal immigrants as well. Well, good riddance.

May 13, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lakeesha

Fo how comes theys so mad fo?

May 13, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sean II

Way to go "Sean", commenting with so many statements that look like you're trying to speak English: "I cant believe..." "...they have to carry there ID...""I here of so many people..." "LA and all other citys". Where did you learn the language of this great land? I prefer a hard-working immigrant (can you tell by looking if he's illegal?) than a lazy "I was born here first, get out!" bigot any day. By the way, I do think that if one should, then all should, carry papers...I just don't want to be stopped 3 times on the way to work because someone "suspected" I was "illegal", whatever that means. An illegal what, anyway? Building? Breakfast? Person? Party? Drug? While I don't mind showing that I'm here legally, born and raised, and with better grammar and spelling, than most, I resent that we're all getting mixed together for Big Brother to see our papers.

May 13, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarasota

Would you feel better if we called you a V???

May 17, 2010 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. sean II

By the way, the language we're typing in is English, not "english". I can see why we're so peeved about our children learning Spanish; we can't even learn our ancestors' language!
    And I love how you're all going to boycott California, our water, our movies, not come here. Cool! Stay away, and keep your cigarette smoke and butts and other pollutants from littering our landscape, and your wonderful charming way with our language. Please secede quickly. I also find it ironic that anyone who thinks Mexico is inferior in any way would even consider going down there for any types of services, eat any food produced or collected by anyone but Americans, stay in hotel rooms serviced by foreigners, live in a house "they"'ve helped build, or buy anything with a "foreign" name (yet P.F. Changs, Taco Time, and others are based in AZ) when you know that the only true way to go is Pure American. Please also change all the names of your towns to "english", darn it. You can start with this small example: "Mesa" would now be "Table, Arizona"; "Santa Cruz" is now "Holy Cross, AZ"; "La Paz" is now "Peace, AZ" (gasp); "Ajo" is now "Garlic, AZ"; Baghdad (well, duh!); "Colorado City" is now either "Colored City" or "Red City, AZ"–how about just one more: "Nogales" should now be "Walnuts, AZ." Put up or shut up. NOW. P.S. I guess we can have your NBA "Los Suns", right? Thanks, they're pretty good. We'll even take those Argentinian, Canadian and German guys on your team, free of charge!

May 13, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarasota

I like those new names, especially Garlic AZ and Walnuts AZ. LOL

May 17, 2010 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. mayra

we legal people, trust in almighty GOd that he would do a miracle for everyone of us. I know that is hard for us to hear this situation that its going on, but GOD has the last word not the man...ONLY GOD HAS THE LAST WORD FOR THIS LAW.!!!!!!

May 13, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ray in PV

Hey tuna74 so I guess Dr King would be so proud of you calling Mexicans "Lazy Illegal Wetbacks". For those of you who do not know and I'm sure tuna74 knows it because he used the term, to call a Mexican a "wetback" is like calling a black person a n**ger. So Yeah tuna74, I guess if Dr. King were alive today he'd be high 5ing you for calling Mexicans a racist term. I don't think the marches were about that, but maybe you missed the meetings.

And I am Mexican, I am a legal resident and maybe I didn't march, but I served the U.S. proudly in the Army and I am a war vet, but I wont use that to justify calling you any racist term. Oh and the fact that you are PR doesn't make you any better than any "wetback", as you called them. If racial profiling were allowed, you'd be picked up just like the rest of us. So get off your soap box.

and way to gay sean II

May 13, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ray in PV

Sorry sean II, meant to say way to go!!

May 13, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. zarett

Wow this is so ridiculous! LA city should be ashamed for doing childish boycotts (while much of America likes the law and prepares a vacation to AZ), reminds kids fighting over lollypops, who has the biggest, who has most candy. Looks like LA is JEALOUS that they did not have the guts to do it first!

May 13, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Matt

Yeah I'd LOVE to see Arizona boycott CA. Considering Cali has the largest GDP (by far) in the US and as a state alone has the 8th highest GDP in the world I don't think the two are really comparable. But I'd love to see you racist, Palin-loving, gun-toting red necks try.

May 13, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarasota

Isn't your state in the worst financial shape of them all?? Dont you have the highest count of Illegals?? Hummm I wonder if there is a connection there???

May 17, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  13. Victoria

I think its great that California is taking a stand against Arizona! Everyone has an opinion on whats going on – I personally don't believe that Jan Brewer, ever once considered what it would be like to have someone stop her and ask her if she was in fact an American Citizen. Why would they stop her??? becuase she looks like a Nazi! – kidding. But for her to take this action and then make it worse by taking ethnic studies out too! Thats like eating All the cake. She will soon have a stomach ache!!!

May 13, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MustacheRidezFromSanchez

I'm very happy to be see more and more people jumping aboard and siding with AZ. According to all of the different national polls that I have read, 60%+ of americans agree with the enforcement of the AZ law. Makes me feel proud to see how many people want to improve our country.

May 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joel

Arizona, Adolph Hitler would be so proud of you! No doubt he would want to initiate the Fourth Reich in your state.

May 14, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |