May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. bsmith

I have been and will continue to boycott Mexican restaurants in the U.S. until Mexican citizens follow U.S. immigration laws.

May 14, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • sarasota

Isn't Taco Bell owned by Pepsi????

May 17, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ray in PV

Hey BSMITH #485, since you're on a boycotting Mexican restaurants, maybe you should also boycott restaurants where Mexicans immigrants, legal and illegal work, which will be every restaurant in the U.S.

May 14, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mexican Decendant now Military Person

My parents entered this country illegally to escape the oppression in mexico.. some of you have no idea how bad the corruption is over there.. not refugees you say?? what about all the innocent people dying due to the drug wars?? many wish they could enter here legally but dont have the opportunity to do so because of the corruption and the fact that its so hard to succeed there.. not that they arent educated but because its unfair.. my uncle is a lawyer, my other uncle is a major in the mexican military and yet the wish to be here.. my parents are now legal but did so only after entering here illegally..

if it werent for them i wouldnt have been born in this great country and wouldnt have been able to serve in the military here.. i agree not everyone comes for good but there are other ways to enforce the laws and to include ALL illegals not just mexicans..

we do have to fix this country before helping others.. but lets not forget that we ALL are here due to immigration..

May 14, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Liz

She is a very smart young woman. She knows the rules for driving in this country. Her decision not to abide by the US laws is no excuse. She is here illegally. I do not feel sorry for her at all. You want to live in the US you follow the laws of the land. We give one person free reign you may as well do it with everyone. We have to abide by the laws when we are in another country. What makes her special? Because she has a 4.0 grade average. So would some legal American children if their parents could afford to send them to college. We are to busy being over taxed to pay for the illegals. I am personally sick of working to support others that do not want to pay taxes, yet want all the benefits of our country.

May 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. U-S-A

JOEL: you are a moron!how dare you compare what happened in Nazi Germany to this!i hope you meet a WW2 survivor, tell him/her what you think, and watch them slap you silly!

May 14, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Elena

Seems as if everyone is forgetting what this country was founded on. Native American Indians didn't deport all white men back to Europe (etc.). What a wonderful brown place this would be if they would have:D Stop being so racist people!

May 14, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Yang Ming

I rather pay $2 extra for hamburger than pay extra $20 in tax, which in turn feeds those Mexican on welfare. Go back home, idiot. Get in line just like every body else. I got in line. My family got in line. So, do you. You're not welcome here, get your fat ass back home.

May 15, 2010 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. Renee

As a citizen of the USA, I TOO, am required to have id for many things every day such as, to get a job, to drive, to cash a check or open an account, to rent a car or apt., to buy a home, to get into an R rated movie, to get in a dance club or bar, to drink or to buy alcohol, etc............ I carry my id with me everyday and it is never further away from me than the next room, where my purse is sitting. THIS IS the American way.
    ILLEGAL MEANS YOU ARE ILLEGAL!!!!!
    Illegal does NOT mean you are mexican, hispanic, asian, middle eastern, european – you can be any nationality and still, illegal has the same meaning – illegal!!
    Illegal persons have NO rights cause you are illegal, so quit asking for them!!!!!!!
    If I am out of my country (USA) I am required to have id. And, God forbid, if I was caught without my papers in another country, I will be there illegally and jailed.
    BECOME LEGAL – THEN WELCOME TO THE GREAT UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and become a part of us. Learn our language, and because you are in an English speaking country in order to better yourself, to get a good job, you need to communicate in English.

May 15, 2010 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Mark

#491, couldn't have said it better myself. If I am somewhere I'm not legally supposed to be, I wouldn't dare ask you to educate my children, give me a credit card, give me food stamps, money to buy a car, pay my bills, etc. So what gives illegals a right to think that they can't be questioned about their immigration status?

If you're going to come to America, do it the RIGHT way. Don't just hop the border. And, if you DO hop the border, NATURALIZE YOURSELF! Become an American taxpayer! Oh yeah......I forgot. You don't wanna pay for anything at all.

I had a long discussion with a lady in my city who sees nothing wrong with illegal immigration. She says that people are looking for a better life. Oh yeah? Well, the people who immigrated into Philadelphia and New York were too, but they immigrated and naturalized themselves the LEGAL way. Illegal aliens say that they pay their taxes, and then think that paying SALES tax means that you're paying your taxes. I pay over $25,000 in taxes every year, and that's not even INCLUDING sales tax. My money allows an illegal alien to be able to dodge responsibility, yet receive the things and benefits that I WORK and PAY FOR?

And we wonder why this country has a trillion dollar debt and is going downhill.

May 15, 2010 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  10. Buck

What the hell is wrong with people. What do you mean when you say boycott Arizona because a policeman might ask a person for proof of citizenship. Dont you understand that these illeagal criminals are free help from emergency rooms and welfare and schools and some do not even pay taxes and alot of them have put your state in ruins already. They do not even have the right to protest because they are ILLEGAL. All you have to do is enforce the laws already on the books. One of these days we are going to vote an al qaeda militant in as president because we might offend him.

May 15, 2010 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
    • sarasota

Unfortunately Buck, there are a lot of stupid people in this country. Sad but true.

May 17, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. Reality Star

Who really cares what CA does. CA is the new Greece~get ready; you will bepaying for their poor management of their state' finances. End the free chicken!!!

When will the federal govt own up to its responsibility to secure our borders? States have rights too. AZ has just made a law that makes it illegal for illegal immigrants to be in the US illegally. What the problem is?

May 15, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. Powell

Hey Buck, of post no. 493, what you are saying about "illegals" using emergency rooms is simply Not Correct. In fact, they are the ones who use it FEWER TIMES than their counterparts!

Before you espouse such things, you should take a good hard look at this Internet article for the public with a study on that.

May 15, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • sarasota

HAHA that article is from the LA times...... Go figure... Send ALL the illegals to California, they can have the place.

May 17, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ken Caples

California has got to be the dumbest state. They should hire buses to bring the illegal aliens from Arizona to California. After all, they seem to think they have the right to be in the united states. Once all of the illegal aliens are in California we could all pray for the Saint Andres fault to do its thing! Problem solved! The only fruit and nuts we would hear about then would be from Planters Peanuts!

May 15, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. grayce

I am Texan. For years we have fought the same battle with no help from the US govt. The cities are filling up with illegals (notice I do not say Mexicans). Because that is the crux of the matter. I grew up with hispanics, they were my friends and playmates. But illegals are not our friends and neighbors. They stay in their own communities, promoting an unhealthy lifestyle involving violence and drugs because they are determined to stay here and will do whatever they feel they need to.
    I do believe in work visas, and I do believe in people earning the right to be here. I welcome hard working, family oriented people of any culture. But until we have something in place that allows for that, Arizona has my support. As for LA, they are an example of what happens when illegals use their influence to affect OUR government. I hope the rest of the country sees the result and takes it as warning.

May 15, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Snoop

Hey, illegals –

Stop draping yourself in the Mexican flag. You're in America, not Mexico.

If you dont want to adhere to our laws, man up and go back to Mexico, and apply for immigration legally. Until then, you have ZERO rights in this country, civil or otherwise.

They SHOULD be bussing you back to the border, or putting you into immigration camps like they do with Cubans in south Florida.

May 15, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |