May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. gobuyanisland

Calm down DudeNC – a lettuce picking job comes with free housing, free utilities, free food, free schooling, free healthcare and California protecting your right to break the laws.

May 13, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. MichaelM

Racial Profiling.....

I am from a mixed marriage (dad black and mom white) and have been told many times that my features in soem cases make people think I could be hispanic. Under the new Arizonia law I could potentially be stop because I "look" like an illegal immigrant. The second part making this a racist law is that Mexicans are not the ONLY illegal immigrants in this country and if anyone beleives they are then we have a bigger issue. There the law itself is setting a racist and discrimating message that singles out one group of people.

May 13, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Miguel Santiago

buycottarizona dot com is a great site for all in support of AZ.

May 13, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Charles

Our club of 400 strong regularly meets in Phoenix. I have successfuly lobbied to pull out and do it at the Venetian instead (Las Vegas)

Our club will not tolerate racists, white supremacists and their miserable TEA party bigots.

Statistically, just like TEA party bigots who cannot accept a bright black president, Arizona cannot accept changing demographics.

I always say " IT'S NOT JUST GOOD ENOUGH TO BE WHITE ANYMORE these days, YOU ALSO HAVE TO HAVE TALENT AND WORK HARD" – Charles

(this hurts you, right DudeNC, Fritz)

Bring on the racewar in 2020

May 13, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
    • wayne a

charles,theres nothing racist about it,its called enforcing the law! when you have 460,000 illegals in Arz. and 18 million in the USA its time to put a stop to it! you can not be stopped just for being hispanic,read the law! over 50% of the police officers have hispanic ancestors or family members so why would they discriminate against hispanics? duhhhhhh.by the way charles,we don't want your damn club in vegas either!

May 17, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

Actually, I am quite glad you won't be coming to my State of Arizona as I don't support people who support lawbreakers.

May 20, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DudeNC

gobuyanisland: Sweet!! I knew there was more to it!! Will the government cover my 100k+ student loan too? I LOVE BREAKING the LAW!! I CAN' WAIT TO LIVE FOR FREE! :))

May 13, 2010 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. ALittleRad

OPEN THE BORDERS!!! HOW CAN YOU HAVE TRUE DIVERSITY WITHOUT MORE PEOPLE!! No one should have to be questioned by the police if they don't want to be!! My Civics teacher (his nickname is 'Moonray' how KeWL!!) let us know these are totally leftover Bush policies and they are really racist.

May 13, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
    • wayne a

alittlerad,you must have flunked your civic class if you think you can blame this all on bush!

May 17, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gobuyanisland

this site sensored and did not post my comment that gave statistics of the crimes in Arizona by illegals. So I'll just say that Arizona is #1 for kidnappings, car jackings, home invasions and other preferred-by-illegals-crimes. So those of us here in Arizona just need to pick our punishment – from the illegals or California politicians.

May 13, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  8. Miguel Santiago

DudeNC, Unfortunately I do not believe that you meet the requirements to live for free in this country. You do not seem to be an authentic mexican to me. Just because you eat at taco bell alot, does not give you the right to think you are mexican.

May 13, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  9. Fritz Hohenheim

"Did the knowledge you had to prove you had to become a citizen include geography. If you look at the map, Mexico is part of North America. They questions must have been very easy to pass."

Well, I know that. I just wanted to save myself the bother of writing something like "Mesoamerica and South America" because I was afraid that Mesoamerica would be somewhat hard to understand by some, just like the fact that there are no geographic tests for immigrants, but how would you know that. I wanted to imply that my statement extended to everybody "South Of The Border".

Carrying ID and presenting them to the police when required to do so has already been the law which is something all of the nay-sayers conveniently ignore. Arizona is not doing anything new, they are just re-enforcing existing federal law.

May 13, 2010 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  10. Charles

DudeNC and GobuyanIsland, these immigrants are more hardworking than you guys are. I have 4 acres of property and would hire them for more money than you miserable lazy relatives or kids.

They are not spoiled. They are decent, they are humble.

That's all I need to get the job done.

All you people of your type complain, complain, complain and yearn for a 9-5 desk job.

GUESS WHAT, bein' blonde haired and blue eyed does not cut it anymore.

WELCOME TO THE NEW WORLD

May 13, 2010 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
    • wayne a

charles you're an idiot,theres no sense in me wasting space to comment on someone with the brain the size of a pea!

May 17, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DudeNC

Miguel Santiago: Once I start working in the lettuce field, and get a tan you will see!

May 13, 2010 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. Charles

Fritz, DudeNC, Gobuyanisland.

Ki$$ your country (as you would prefere to perceive it) goood byyyee.

May 13, 2010 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. jose

Ok so because arizona passed this laww every hispanic is now mexican and illegal. Then all white bald men are neo nazies. Guys in beards are jews. Black men are greate in basket ball and every asian person is chinese. This law is stupid a lot of german illeaglas could drive by a cop and he won't get stopped but a mexican driving by will.

May 13, 2010 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. gobuyanisland

Charles – you are correct. Having been born of Mexican immigrants and married to an immigrant I know immigrants are the hardest workers – but those are the LEGAL immigrants that respect family and freedom – not the criminals that would rather murder than show a driver's license.

May 13, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  15. Brian

Not that I would have ever gone to Arizona in the first place, since it's a desert wasteland... but now I REALLY won't go there. This law doesn't require simply a driver's license - you don't have to be a citizen to have one of those (in case you didn't know that). It requires Mexicans (because frankly those are the only ones who will be asked) to carry papers on them at all times. Taking out the garbage, walking to the corner store for some milk... it's ridiculous. What happened to border security? Wouldn't that be a better idea. You know, stop them where they're coming over???

May 13, 2010 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
    • wayne a

brian,please read the law before you comment next time,there is not ONE word of truth to what you just said!

May 17, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |