May 12th, 2010

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status.

Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance.

The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona.

The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said.

"The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote.

The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Politics
  1. Miguel Santiago

You assume that because I can type in english and own a computer that I cannot be of "Latin Descent"? Sounds like you are racially profiling me "amigo".

May 13, 2010 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. gobuyanisland

Is that you Charles Barkley? My favorite moment of yours is when the cops in Arizona stopped you for running through a stop sign because you had someone steering with their head on your lap and you were eating a bear claw.

May 13, 2010 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. DudeNC

Lets get the information correct and understand where the real problem is..

The violence problem is mainly related to the drug trade, the drug trade is fueled by the FAILED "WAR ON DRUGS". Remember Alcohol Prohibition? How well did that work out?

STOP GIVING MONEY TO MEXICO BY KEEPING DRUGS ILLEGAL, WHICH IN TURN IS FUELING THE CARTEL. CUT THEIR MONEY SUPPLY, the VIOLENCE STOPS.

There are better ways to handle the drug problem.

May 13, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. Miguel Santiago

HAHA gobuyanisland.
    Too funny.

May 13, 2010 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  5. jose

I never was racial profiling anyone. And please don't call me "amigo" ok? Also I think I have better thing to do. Hey look only because im mexican im going to rob that white guy down the street. Bye =)

May 13, 2010 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  6. white people were illegals too

All Germans are Nazis and should be deported. Austrians too, like the governor of California.

May 13, 2010 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. white people were illegals too

Those white people at plymouth rock were illegals. The Indians should have had a better immigration policy.

May 13, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
    • wayne a

hey dumb@@##!@,there has to be laws against it before they could be illegal when they landed in plymouth rock! duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

May 17, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jose

Oh and by the way it was pretty cool what you did there DudeNC

May 13, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  9. Miguel Santiago

Actually, if you refer back to post 72 of yours, you called me your amigo. That was inappropriate. I will go now as well and enjoy my siesta.

May 13, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. Charles

Okay a little about me.

I was born and raised in the great city of NYC. I have seen all races work together to bring up such a wonderful metropili$ (THIS IS THW WONDERFUL PART ABOUT NYC)

I am in Finance.
    I work with people with advanced degrees (yes of ALL races)
    I am 37 years young.
    I earn about $6,000 a week (for now).
    I have come to experience pure talent in ALL races,
    from an Indian American CEO to the guy (who I am pretty sure is an Illegal from the Russian Federation) who cuts my hair with a fair price and all the pride in the world.

I am angered, NO I AM ACTUALLY ENRAGED, by SB1070. I have been afforded a great education, went to the Wharton School. Now that some people need a leg up, others want to knock them down by using codified segragation.

I'm Pi$$$$ed.

May 13, 2010 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
    • wayne a

charles i'm also enraged by people like you that argue over a law they have not read,you couldn't have.you would think that a person alledgely making almost half a mil. a year would have something better to do than staying up to 2 or 3 in the morning arguing over something he knows nothing about!

May 17, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jennifer

Good point "white people...."

May 13, 2010 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  12. jose

Well that was a diffrent guy dude. Jose is a commen mexican name man

May 13, 2010 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. Charles

Yeah, I was about to turn in as well.

Good Knight as well (get the "knight" part?)...ooooh I am just to good.

May 13, 2010 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. gobuyanisland

Charles – then you are what we need – someone with a great background and high education to fight the fight (in Washington, not Arizona) and make it easier for any immigrant to realize their dream here and to be able to do so legally without all the red tape. The criminals are making it worse on the honest people that are simply trying to contribute to the best country in the world by bringing their ideas and talent to the USA.

May 13, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. jose

One more thing beofre I go. I wish some movies came to life and a day with out a mexican came to so we can watch as america falls

May 13, 2010 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |